Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where can I get boot leather for my wife's boot heel?

My wife's boot heel is worn through the rubber to the leather.
If I replace the last layer of leather on the heel (it's pretty
thick as there are about 10 layers, so I'd guess 1/8th inch)
and the rubber pad, I'd be a hero.

Where can we mail order this thick boot heel leather and
rubber pads to cut to size?

Any experience repairing boot heels?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Jul 2015 21:18:22 +0000 (UTC), Karlheinz Fenstermacher
wrote:

Texas!

Can I help with another question?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/06/2015 04:18 PM, Karlheinz Fenstermacher wrote:
My wife's boot heel is worn through the rubber to the leather.
If I replace the last layer of leather on the heel (it's pretty
thick as there are about 10 layers, so I'd guess 1/8th inch)
and the rubber pad, I'd be a hero.

Where can we mail order this thick boot heel leather and
rubber pads to cut to size?

Any experience repairing boot heels?

If you want to be a real hero take it to a good shoe repair shop
and have it done right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My wife's boot heel is worn through the rubber to the leather.
If I replace the last layer of leather on the heel (it's pretty
thick as there are about 10 layers, so I'd guess 1/8th inch)
and the rubber pad, I'd be a hero.

Where can we mail order this thick boot heel leather and
rubber pads to cut to size?

Any experience repairing boot heels?

Have you tried Google?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 4:18:26 PM UTC-5, Karlheinz Fenstermacher wrote:
My wife's boot heel is worn through the rubber to the leather.
If I replace the last layer of leather on the heel (it's pretty
thick as there are about 10 layers, so I'd guess 1/8th inch)
and the rubber pad, I'd be a hero.

Where can we mail order this thick boot heel leather and
rubber pads to cut to size?

Any experience repairing boot heels?

When My older brother served in The Army in Vietnam, he told me of the natives who made sandals out of old vehicle tires. Perhaps you could take some rubber from a bicycle tire and cut it to size? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Tired Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 17:16:04 -0500, philo wrote:

If you want to be a real hero take it to a good shoe repair shop and
have it done right.

I'm dismayed with that answer.

How many of you here are wholly incapable of replacing
a boot heel, such that you've never done it?

Isn't this a *repair* group?
Don't you "repair" things?

I guess it's not "home" repair, pe se, so you guys must be all into
contruction, I guess, so I apologize for asking here.

Looking around for a real repair group, I only saw scientific equipment
repair, which this isn't.

Is there some other group that repairs stuff "in" the home that
I can ask instead?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 17:21:56 -0500, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Have you tried Google?

I wanted to speak with someone who actually replaced the heel (who wasn't
at the same time trying to sell me something).

I can imagine there are good and back types of leather, and particularly
good places to get leather.

For example, I took apart a catcher's mitt and still have *that* leather,
but, it's too thin.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.messianic

"Karlheinz Fenstermacher" wrote in message

My wife's boot heel is worn through the rubber to the leather.
If I replace the last layer of leather on the heel (it's pretty
thick as there are about 10 layers, so I'd guess 1/8th inch)
and the rubber pad, I'd be a hero.

Where can we mail order this thick boot heel leather and
rubber pads to cut to size?

Any experience repairing boot heels?

Pegleg Dupree, over on the religious website, has promised to discipline me
whilst wearing her leather dominatrix outfit.
Just sayin'.
^@^

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 15:40:51 -0700, Uncle Monster wrote:

Perhaps you could take some rubber from a bicycle tire and cut it to
size?

This is a great idea, and is the type of idea I was hoping to get.

The bicycle tire is just a tad too small to fit around the heel of this
boot, as it's a cowboy type, but the idea is sound.

I was thinking about the rubber of a car inner tube, which is a bit too
soft, but certainly it will do in a pinch for the rubber layer on the
bottom.

I went through my leather pile, after autopsying an old catcher's mitt
and assorted and sundry shoes, and there was an old boot (another pair)
that I may cannibalize the upper leather of, but again, it's thinner than
the heel leather.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Karlheinz Fenstermacher writes:

On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 17:16:04 -0500, philo wrote:

If you want to be a real hero take it to a good shoe repair shop and
have it done right.

I'm dismayed with that answer.

How many of you here are wholly incapable of replacing
a boot heel, such that you've never done it?

Isn't this a *repair* group?
Don't you "repair" things?

I guess it's not "home" repair, pe se, so you guys must be all into
contruction, I guess, so I apologize for asking here.

Looking around for a real repair group, I only saw scientific equipment
repair, which this isn't.

Is there some other group that repairs stuff "in" the home that
I can ask instead?

Shoe repair requires special skills, special tools, and
as you are finding out, a special source of repair materials.

Try a google search for "shoe repair supplies".
I do see hits. Good luck.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 12:12:54 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

Shoe repair requires special skills, special tools, and
as you are finding out, a special source of repair materials.

I wouldn't call leather and rubber "special" tools.

I just need a good source, hopefully scavenged from somewhere (like an
old catcher's mitt).

The wife loves it when I fix things without going to the store, but this
one is going to be harder, since none of us have a simple three inch
section of leather and rubber lying around the house anymore.

What has become of us.
Have we all devolved into being *consumers* now?
Nobody repairs anymore?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 09:02:43 -0700, Col. Edmund J. Burke wrote:

Pegleg Dupree, over on the religious website, has promised to discipline
me whilst wearing her leather dominatrix outfit.

Dupree is a *male* dominant!
http://collarspace.com/dupree

Posted to alt.home.repair

Karlheinz Fenstermacher writes:

On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 12:12:54 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

Shoe repair requires special skills, special tools, and
as you are finding out, a special source of repair materials.

I wouldn't call leather and rubber "special" tools.

Good thing I didn't refer to leather as a tool.

First you ask for a source for boot leather.
No one has any answers, but you assert that the leather is not special.

Any boot heel I've seen is a chunk of hard rubber, or a stack of pretty
thick leather all glued together. Google can find that stuff, but it
won't be at Home Depot.

I just need a good source, hopefully scavenged from somewhere (like an
old catcher's mitt).

The wife loves it when I fix things without going to the store, but this
one is going to be harder, since none of us have a simple three inch
section of leather and rubber lying around the house anymore.

What has become of us.
Have we all devolved into being *consumers* now?
Nobody repairs anymore?

Some people go to shoe repair shops.
Most just throw out their shoes when they break.
You appear to be special.
Good luck.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

Karlheinz Fenstermacher writes:
On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 12:12:54 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

Shoe repair requires special skills, special tools, and
as you are finding out, a special source of repair materials.

I wouldn't call leather and rubber "special" tools.

Which shows you know little about cobblers and have
poor reading comprehension.

I assume you don't have a last. Or even know what a last
is and what is used for. How do you intend to join your
new heel to the shoe? pegs? nails? adhesive?

I just need a good source, hopefully scavenged from somewhere (like an
old catcher's mitt).

Have you tried thrift shops?

What has become of us.
Have we all devolved into being *consumers* now?
Nobody repairs anymore?

Silly questions. Particularly when based on responses from
_this_ usenet group which contains mostly useless and
poorly considered polemics.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/07/2015 10:59 AM, Karlheinz Fenstermacher wrote:
On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 17:16:04 -0500, philo wrote:

If you want to be a real hero take it to a good shoe repair shop and
have it done right.

I'm dismayed with that answer.

How many of you here are wholly incapable of replacing
a boot heel, such that you've never done it?

Isn't this a *repair* group?
Don't you "repair" things?

I guess it's not "home" repair, pe se, so you guys must be all into
contruction, I guess, so I apologize for asking here.

Looking around for a real repair group, I only saw scientific equipment
repair, which this isn't.

Is there some other group that repairs stuff "in" the home that
I can ask instead?

I am pretty good when it comes to fixing things and usually do a fully
functional (though not elegant) repair.

I'd sure you could fix your wife's shoe but I'd be surprised if your
wife would like it.

There are still expert shoe repair craftsmen who would fix it 100% to
your wife's satisfaction.

Just get it done right and it will save your marriage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 11:04:13 AM UTC-5, Karlheinz Fenstermacher wrote:
On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 15:40:51 -0700, Uncle Monster wrote:

Perhaps you could take some rubber from a bicycle tire and cut it to
size?

This is a great idea, and is the type of idea I was hoping to get.

The bicycle tire is just a tad too small to fit around the heel of this
boot, as it's a cowboy type, but the idea is sound.

I was thinking about the rubber of a car inner tube, which is a bit too
soft, but certainly it will do in a pinch for the rubber layer on the
bottom.

I went through my leather pile, after autopsying an old catcher's mitt
and assorted and sundry shoes, and there was an old boot (another pair)
that I may cannibalize the upper leather of, but again, it's thinner than
the heel leather.

I'm not thinking of a skinny bike tire. Heck a wheelbarrow tire might work as a source of raw material. You can actually purchase a new pneumatic cart or wheelbarrow tire from Harbor Freight if you wanted to sacrifice a new item for your project. The regular old balloon bike tire should be available at Walmart for a source of raw material. Get creative and use a dirt bike tire. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Tire Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-07, Scott Lurndal wrote:

_this_ usenet group which contains mostly useless and
poorly considered polemics.

....as opposed to a stupid question and the OP's penchant for railing
against those who can't help her?

This poster comes in asking for help, then slams the group cuz they
don't know more than she does. Talk about troll bait.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Jul 2015 16:44:53 +0000 (UTC), Karlheinz Fenstermacher
wrote:

The wife loves it when I fix things without going to the store, but this
one is going to be harder, since none of us have a simple three inch
section of leather and rubber lying around the house anymore.

It's all Bush's fault.

What has become of us.
Have we all devolved into being *consumers* now?
Nobody repairs anymore?

Did you search for a hobby group on Usenet, or a leather craft one?

I wage a penny.

Posted to alt.home.repair

tandy leather has all kinds of leather, but dont know if one will be suitable
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 16:59:26 +0000, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Have you tried thrift shops?

That's a GREAT idea!

It's so good, that I wish I had thought of it myself.

I love it. Since I don't have "spare" parts lying around, the thrift shop
becomes my salvage yard.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 10:02:47 -0700, Uncle Monster wrote:

Heck a wheelbarrow tire might work as a source of raw material.

That's also a GREAT IDEA!

In fact, I have a flat wheelbarrow tire at the moment, that I was going
to replace. I just needed to remove it and take it to Home Depot to get
the right replacement.

You are correct. The Wheelbarrow tire will be easy to cut, and the right
thickness. I love that idea. I will see if the treads can be sanded down
on my belt sander.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Karlheinz Fenstermacher writes:

On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 10:02:47 -0700, Uncle Monster wrote:

Heck a wheelbarrow tire might work as a source of raw material.

That's also a GREAT IDEA!

In fact, I have a flat wheelbarrow tire at the moment, that I was going
to replace. I just needed to remove it and take it to Home Depot to get
the right replacement.

You are correct. The Wheelbarrow tire will be easy to cut, and the right
thickness. I love that idea. I will see if the treads can be sanded down
on my belt sander.

If you got your wheelbarrow at HD, call the manufacturer.
Wheel replacements are free, but they are not done in the store.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 17:16:04 -0500, philo wrote:

If you want to be a real hero take it to a good shoe repair shop and
have it done right.

I'm dismayed with that answer.

How many of you here are wholly incapable of replacing
a boot heel, such that you've never done it?

Isn't this a *repair* group?
Don't you "repair" things?

I guess it's not "home" repair, pe se, so you guys must be all into
contruction, I guess, so I apologize for asking here.

Looking around for a real repair group, I only saw scientific equipment
repair, which this isn't.

Is there some other group that repairs stuff "in" the home that
I can ask instead?

sci.electronics.repair
alt.shoe.repair
alt.sandal.repair
alt.stiletto.repair

Don't judge the group by one answer. but otoh a shoe repairman will have
the heel already and it will take him ten minutes to put it on (even
though he will charge like it took longer. You would have to look all
over the place just to find the heel that fits, or a right knife to cut
a big one with.

Plus you say it needs leather too. I coudlnt' follow that. Leather
under the rubber heel? I have no idea where you would get just the
right leather to use there. Except at a shoe repair store, which
might for a premium, sell you materials and let you try to do it
yourself. I don't even consider paying for most repairs but shoe
repair is a real trade and most know their stuff.

What has become of us.
Have we all devolved into being *consumers* now?
Nobody repairs anymore?

In my family we've been going to shoe repairmen for 70 years or more.
We were damn poor until 1915 or 1930 (depending on which side of the
family) so maybe not then or some of the 30 years after then. Like
having the right tool for the job, having the right repairman for the
job is also a good idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Jul 2015 16:01:05 +0000 (UTC), Karlheinz Fenstermacher
wrote:

On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 17:21:56 -0500, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Have you tried Google?

I wanted to speak with someone who actually replaced the heel (who wasn't
at the same time trying to sell me something).

I can imagine there are good and back types of leather, and particularly
good places to get leather.

For example, I took apart a catcher's mitt and still have *that* leather,
but, it's too thin.

Absolutely, and too soft.

My mother recovered desk chairs, including unscrewing the seat,
recovering, screwing them back on.

I came across a big piece of leather once and saved it and used it
eventually to recover the back of a swivel desk chair. Other parts of
the chair have worn out and had to be repaired, but the leather back is
still good after about 30 years. I'm sitting in the chair right now.
And I think I've done other things with other leather scraps, but shoes
and their heels are under far greater strain than most things.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Jul 2015 10:02:47 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

he regular old balloon bike tire should be available=
at Walmart for a source of raw material. Get creative and use a dirt bike =
tire. ^_^

If you make a heel out of that, will the wearer have greater traction?
Will she be good in snow and mud?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Where can we mail order this thick boot heel
leather and rubber pads to cut to size?

Do a Google search for "cobbler supplies". You'll find a number of
businesses online who sell supplies for repairing shoes; leather, new
heels, etc. Of course, they usually sell to cobblers so you'll need to
buy items in quantity.

take it to a good shoe repair shop and have it done right.

I'm dismayed with that answer. How many of you here are wholly
incapable of replacing a boot heel, such that you've never done it?
Isn't this a *repair* group? Don't you "repair" things?

Believe me, I am the guy who always tries to fix something myself rather
than pay someone else to do it. Even if it takes longer or costs more, I
do it for the knowledge and personal satisfaction. However, even for
someone like me there's a point where the end goal isn't worth the
effort.

For example, something like replacing tires on automobile wheels. Yeah, I
could buy the tools and do it myself, but it's faster and cheaper to pay
the shop to do it. I only need to do it once every few years, so it
doesn't make sense to do it myself. It's one of the rare things I pay
others to do.

Could I repair a shoe? Sure, with a little study and the right tools and
supplies, I'm as capable as anyone. But by the time I've bought the
tools, ordered the supplies, and learned how to use them, I could have
bought new shoes for less money and a lot less effort.

While you can still find a cobbler (shoe repair person), it's not a big
industry. In most cases, it's a small mom and pop shop that have done
this for years. I doubt many young people are choosing to be a cobbler as
a career these days.

My wife has taken shoes to a local cobbler a couple of times. He has the
right tools and supplies, and the knowledge and experience to do the job
quickly. Still, while the repair cost was quite low, it still cost more
to fix the shoe than she paid for them. It was more because she liked the
shoes than a rational decision.

If you plan to become a cobbler, or even repair shoes routinely for your
family and friends, by all means do it yourself. If you're just trying to
save a buck or make your wife proud, there are better ways to that goal.

If you still insist on doing it yourself, and don't want to order 10
heels online, stop by your local cobbler and see if he'll sell you the
supplies you need.

Either that or make a pair of flip-flops from an old tire and some
string.

Good luck, and have fun.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Jul 2015 04:16:22 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

Where can we mail order this thick boot heel
leather and rubber pads to cut to size?

Do a Google search for "cobbler supplies". You'll find a number of
businesses online who sell supplies for repairing shoes; leather, new
heels, etc. Of course, they usually sell to cobblers so you'll need to
buy items in quantity.

take it to a good shoe repair shop and have it done right.

I'm dismayed with that answer. How many of you here are wholly
incapable of replacing a boot heel, such that you've never done it?
Isn't this a *repair* group? Don't you "repair" things?

Believe me, I am the guy who always tries to fix something myself rather
than pay someone else to do it. Even if it takes longer or costs more, I

LOL. I can relate to that. In college I "fixed" an electric
percolator, by buying the missing parts, even though I think it cost
more than a new percolator and even though I don't drink coffee.

do it for the knowledge and personal satisfaction. However, even for

All I learned is what's inside one. So I've controlled myself a
little, but I"m still the way you are.

someone like me there's a point where the end goal isn't worth the
effort.

It's interesting that everyone here seems to agree on this

For example, something like replacing tires on automobile wheels. Yeah, I
could buy the tools and do it myself, but it's faster and cheaper to pay
the shop to do it. I only need to do it once every few years, so it
doesn't make sense to do it myself. It's one of the rare things I pay
others to do.

Could I repair a shoe? Sure, with a little study and the right tools and
supplies, I'm as capable as anyone. But by the time I've bought the

I've glued the sole onto sneakers. The first time I used while
silicone sealant, because it looked like what had crumbled, but it
didn't stick well, and more kept crumbling. On this pair, I just used
contract cement. I only managed to glue the middle of the sole but it's
been weeks of wearing them every day and it's holding well. When it
fails, I'll redo it, trying harder to get the outsde of the bottom and
the part that runs a centimeter up the sides of the shoe.

[...]

Good idea.

When I was looking for little rubber bands, to tighten the arms on my
eyeglasses (and not pay the exorbitant price they charge in an "eyeglass
repair kit", complete with a little screwdriver, I found a dental supply
company online that sold me just one bag of 100 little rubber bands for
a couple dollars and shippping was only a couple dollars. I was
surprised they didnt' have a minimum order. The piano supply store I
looked at had a 35 or maybe 50 dollar minimum to avoid shipping charges,
which are otherwise pretty high. That's more typical.

Either that or make a pair of flip-flops from an old tire and some
string.

Good luck, and have fun.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Jul 2015 15:59:29 +0000 (UTC), Karlheinz Fenstermacher
wrote:

Isn't this a *repair* group?
Don't you "repair" things?

There is a guy on ebay that sells all kinds of leather. He uses the
store name "The Leather Guy". I have done business with him and was
satisfied.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Good idea.

When I was looking for little rubber bands, to tighten the arms on my
eyeglasses (and not pay the exorbitant price they charge in an "eyeglass
repair kit", complete with a little screwdriver, I found a dental supply
company online that sold me just one bag of 100 little rubber bands for
a couple dollars and shippping was only a couple dollars. I was
surprised they didnt' have a minimum order. The piano supply store I
looked at had a 35 or maybe 50 dollar minimum to avoid shipping charges,
which are otherwise pretty high. That's more typical.

youtookthe expensive route/

most glass shops at least around here will fix anyones glasses for free, all sorts of minor repairs gratis. they do this in the hope the please person buys glasses from them in the future..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/8/2015 12:16 AM, HerHusband wrote:

[...]

Know what you mean about the cobbler costing more
than the replacement shoes. Well, some times shoes
are comfortable, and hard to find good replacement.

The one time I took item to cobbler was a tool
pouch that the threads came loose. He did a great
job, and the tool pouch is still in use. Well worth
the money.

I used to do tire mounting and balancing, but
now take em to a shop.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/8/2015 1:48 AM, micky wrote:
I've glued the sole onto sneakers. The first time I used while
silicone sealant, because it looked like what had crumbled, but it
didn't stick well, and more kept crumbling. On this pair, I just used
contract cement. I only managed to glue the middle of the sole but it's
been weeks of wearing them every day and it's holding well. When it
fails, I'll redo it, trying harder to get the outsde of the bottom and
the part that runs a centimeter up the sides of the shoe.

My work shoes started to wear out, and a layer of
gorilla tape on the soles gave them more life. Need
to put another layer of tape on, some day soon.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/8/2015 1:48 AM, micky wrote:

I've glued the sole onto sneakers. The first time I used while
silicone sealant, because it looked like what had crumbled, but it
didn't stick well, and more kept crumbling. On this pair, I just used
contract cement. I only managed to glue the middle of the sole but it's
been weeks of wearing them every day and it's holding well. When it
fails, I'll redo it, trying harder to get the outsde of the bottom and
the part that runs a centimeter up the sides of the shoe.

Wonder if Liquid Nails project adhesive would do?

I think gorilla glue dries too hard, sneakers
need to be flexible.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 8, 2015 at 6:46:50 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/8/2015 1:48 AM, micky wrote:

I've glued the sole onto sneakers. The first time I used while
silicone sealant, because it looked like what had crumbled, but it
didn't stick well, and more kept crumbling. On this pair, I just used
contract cement. I only managed to glue the middle of the sole but it's
been weeks of wearing them every day and it's holding well. When it
fails, I'll redo it, trying harder to get the outsde of the bottom and
the part that runs a centimeter up the sides of the shoe.

Wonder if Liquid Nails project adhesive would do?

I think gorilla glue dries too hard, sneakers
need to be flexible.

--

I had this stuff called Shoe Goo that I used on my sneakers. I bought it at a drugstore but it's available all over including Amazon. ^_^

http://eclecticproducts.com/products/shoe-goo.html

[8~{} Uncle Goo Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Jul 2015 04:09:48 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

Good idea.

When I was looking for little rubber bands, to tighten the arms on my
eyeglasses (and not pay the exorbitant price they charge in an "eyeglass
repair kit", complete with a little screwdriver, I found a dental supply
company online that sold me just one bag of 100 little rubber bands for
a couple dollars and shippping was only a couple dollars. I was
surprised they didnt' have a minimum order. The piano supply store I
looked at had a 35 or maybe 50 dollar minimum to avoid shipping charges,
which are otherwise pretty high. That's more typical.

youtookthe expensive route/

most glass shops at least around here will fix anyones glasses for free, all sorts of minor repairs gratis. they do this in the hope the please person buys glasses from them in the future..

Not in my case, because mine were only reading glasses from the dollar
store. Even if I could give him the impression that I also have
prescription glasses, I'm not going to do that.

I needed the rubber bands for plastic frames, that in the dollar version
get lose soon. I like the ones with plastic frames because they don't
have those nose pads whose arms catch on my hair when I put the glasses
above my eyes and I need a haircut, but eventually I gave up on those
because not only do they get weak and not squeeze my head, they break
soon after that. So I buy the metal ones that last much longer, and
whose arms can be bent in when they lose their grip. (And I've
learned how to keep my hair out of the nosepad arms, most of the time.)

Of course they are all designed for women and so they are a trifle too
narrow for my head and that's why they break. One day they had ones
makered WIDE, and they worked better. I think that's what I'm using
now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Know what you mean about the cobbler costing more
than the replacement shoes. Well, some times shoes
are comfortable, and hard to find good replacement.

My wife has tiny feet and wears a size 5-1/2 shoe. Most stores only stock
size 6 and above. When she can find a shoe she likes, it makes sense to
repair them for simple things like a worn out heel.

She tends to buy cheap shoes, so the repairs usually cost more than she
paid for the shoes. The cobbler tends to use better materials than the
original shoe had.

I used to do tire mounting and balancing, but now take em to a shop.

I thought about doing it myself, but it just didn't make sense to buy the
equipment for something I do so rarely. Not to mention the space it would
take to store the tools in my garage.

Sometimes I just have to overcome my DIY tendencies and pay someone else to
do things.

Now that I'm getting older, I am finding it harder/less enjoyable to do
some simple tasks like changing the oil in my car. I still do it, but I can
forsee a day when I start taking it to a shop. I already had my daughter
start taking hers to the shop so I didn't have to do it.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 07:46:47 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 7/8/2015 1:48 AM, micky wrote:

I've glued the sole onto sneakers. The first time I used while
silicone sealant, because it looked like what had crumbled, but it
didn't stick well, and more kept crumbling. On this pair, I just used
contract cement. I only managed to glue the middle of the sole but it's
been weeks of wearing them every day and it's holding well. When it
fails, I'll redo it, trying harder to get the outsde of the bottom and
the part that runs a centimeter up the sides of the shoe.

Wonder if Liquid Nails project adhesive would do?

I think gorilla glue dries too hard, sneakers
need to be flexible.

The only glue that is flexible enough is contact cement. I first used
it to glue a patch on a down sleeping bag that was leaking down. But
then I realized it was a mummy bag and I can't use one of those anyhow..
Claustrophobia.

My friend's favorite tape is gorilla tape.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/8/2015 6:44 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/8/2015 1:48 AM, micky wrote:
I've glued the sole onto sneakers. The first time I used while
silicone sealant, because it looked like what had crumbled, but it
didn't stick well, and more kept crumbling. On this pair, I just used
contract cement. I only managed to glue the middle of the sole but it's
been weeks of wearing them every day and it's holding well. When it
fails, I'll redo it, trying harder to get the outsde of the bottom and
the part that runs a centimeter up the sides of the shoe.

My work shoes started to wear out, and a layer of
gorilla tape on the soles gave them more life. Need
to put another layer of tape on, some day soon.

I bought some shoe goo to fix my favorite shoes where they were
separating from the soles. Worked like a charm, and I got about another
years worth of wear out of them.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky,

a dental supply company online sold me just one bag of 100
little rubber bands for a couple dollars and shippping was
only a couple dollars.

mine were only reading glasses from the dollar store.

Are you saying you spent FOUR dollars to fix glasses you paid ONE dollar
for?

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

Leather boot repairs nemo UK diy 19 September 2nd 14 10:38 PM
Dual Boot for Win 7 therustyone UK diy 13 June 24th 12 12:03 PM
Cannot boot from Dos [email protected] Electronics Repair 8 September 27th 07 01:48 AM
no boot curt Electronics Repair 2 July 2nd 05 03:52 PM
BOOT BUTLER J T Woodworking 0 November 15th 04 07:51 PM