DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   car boot sale sockets (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/638708-car-boot-sale-sockets.html)

Jim GM4DHJ ... August 12th 19 08:38 AM

car boot sale sockets

just figured out what the two extra holes are just below the earth terminal
of a double 13A socket I bought at a car boot sale ......

whisky-dave[_2_] August 12th 19 12:50 PM

car boot sale sockets

On Monday, 12 August 2019 08:38:39 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just figured out what the two extra holes are just below the earth terminal
of a double 13A socket I bought at a car boot sale ......

Usually it's the live and neutral ;-)

Jim GM4DHJ ... August 12th 19 01:03 PM

car boot sale sockets

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Monday, 12 August 2019 08:38:39 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just figured out what the two extra holes are just below the earth
terminal
of a double 13A socket I bought at a car boot sale ......

Usually it's the live and neutral ;-)

no...this is a single hole just under the earth above live and neutral
......well two of them

[email protected] August 12th 19 01:45 PM

car boot sale sockets

On Monday, 12 August 2019 13:03:50 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
no...this is a single hole just under the earth above live and neutral
.....well two of them

for an indicating neon?

Owain

Jim GM4DHJ ... August 12th 19 02:15 PM

car boot sale sockets

wrote in message
On Monday, 12 August 2019 13:03:50 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
no...this is a single hole just under the earth above live and neutral
.....well two of them

for an indicating neon?

Owain

turns out it is for fixing to a single paten box to give you a double socket

Dave Plowman (News) August 12th 19 03:01 PM

car boot sale sockets

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just figured out what the two extra holes are just below the earth
terminal of a double 13A socket I bought at a car boot sale ......

Just curious why anyone would buy a socket at a boot sale.

Especially one who rather obviously doesn't know what he's buying.

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

[email protected] August 12th 19 08:15 PM

car boot sale sockets

On Monday, 12 August 2019 14:15:18 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
turns out it is for fixing to a single paten box to give you a double socket

Those are quite expensive usually, if you actually want one.

Owain

ARW August 12th 19 08:21 PM

car boot sale sockets

On 12/08/2019 20:09, Andrew wrote:
In article ,
*** Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just figured out what the two extra holes are just below the earth
terminal of a double 13A socket I bought at a car boot sale ......

Just curious why anyone would buy a socket at a boot sale.

Especially one who rather obviously doesn't know what he's buying.

He's Scottish

He wanked himself stupid when he found a packet of corn plasters and a
pair of shoes that were too small for him for sale in the same car boot.

--
Adam

Jim GM4DHJ ... August 12th 19 09:34 PM

car boot sale sockets

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just figured out what the two extra holes are just below the earth
terminal of a double 13A socket I bought at a car boot sale ......

Just curious why anyone would buy a socket at a boot sale.

Especially one who rather obviously doesn't know what he's buying.

£1 each no better reason

--
It is my fault everybody hates and abuses me...

Jim GM4DHJ ... August 12th 19 09:36 PM

car boot sale sockets

On 12/08/2019 20:15, wrote:
On Monday, 12 August 2019 14:15:18 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
turns out it is for fixing to a single paten box to give you a double socket

Those are quite expensive usually, if you actually want one.

Owain

so I bought two .....£1 each still in packet.....

--
It is my fault everybody hates and abuses me...

Jim GM4DHJ ... August 12th 19 09:36 PM

car boot sale sockets

*** Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just figured out what the two extra holes are just below the earth
terminal of a double 13A socket I bought at a car boot sale ......

Just curious why anyone would buy a socket at a boot sale.

Especially one who rather obviously doesn't know what he's buying.

He's Scottish

He wanked himself stupid when he found a packet of corn plasters and a
pair of shoes that were too small for him for sale in the same car boot.

tee hee

--
It is my fault everybody hates and abuses me...

Marland August 12th 19 09:48 PM

car boot sale sockets

*** Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just figured out what the two extra holes are just below the earth
terminal of a double 13A socket I bought at a car boot sale ......

Just curious why anyone would buy a socket at a boot sale.

Especially one who rather obviously doesn't know what he's buying.

He's Scottish

He wanked himself stupid when he found a packet of corn plasters and a
pair of shoes that were too small for him for sale in the same car boot.

Those converter sockets normally come with some blanking plugs to conceal
the screws after fixing .
If he didnt get any then he has been diddled and that is usually enough
reason to ruin a Porridge Wogs day.

GH

[email protected] August 12th 19 10:58 PM

car boot sale sockets

On Monday, 12 August 2019 21:48:28 UTC+1, Marland wrote:
Those converter sockets normally come with some blanking plugs to conceal
the screws after fixing .

And usually a spare pair on pegs on the back of the faceplate.

If he didnt get any then he has been diddled and that is usually enough
reason to ruin a Porridge Wogs day.

But if they only cost £1 each he can sell them on to someone else for £2 a packet and still be in profit.

Or some silicone will probably fill the holes.

Owain

Dennis@home August 12th 19 11:01 PM

car boot sale sockets

On 12/08/2019 20:15, wrote:
On Monday, 12 August 2019 14:15:18 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
turns out it is for fixing to a single paten box to give you a double socket

Those are quite expensive usually, if you actually want one.

Owain

double socket converter £4.30

https://www.toolstation.com/socket-converter/p88126

[email protected] August 12th 19 11:40 PM

car boot sale sockets

On Monday, 12 August 2019 23:01:31 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
Those are quite expensive usually, if you actually want one.

double socket converter £4.30

Exactly. £4.30!

£1.44 for an ordinary socket
https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-sw...-socket/p24623

Owain

Jim GM4DHJ ... August 13th 19 05:43 AM

car boot sale sockets

*** Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just figured out what the two extra holes are just below the earth
terminal of a double 13A socket I bought at a car boot sale ......

Just curious why anyone would buy a socket at a boot sale.

Especially one who rather obviously doesn't know what he's buying.

He's Scottish

He wanked himself stupid when he found a packet of corn plasters and a
pair of shoes that were too small for him for sale in the same car boot.

Those converter sockets normally come with some blanking plugs to conceal
the screws after fixing .
If he didnt get any then he has been diddled and that is usually enough
reason to ruin a Porridge Wogs day.

GH

what part of still in packet did you not understand?......

Jim GM4DHJ ... August 13th 19 05:45 AM

car boot sale sockets

On 12/08/2019 23:40, wrote:
On Monday, 12 August 2019 23:01:31 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
Those are quite expensive usually, if you actually want one.

double socket converter £4.30

Exactly. £4.30!

£3.30 saved then......

newshound August 13th 19 06:38 AM

car boot sale sockets

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just figured out what the two extra holes are just below the earth
terminal of a double 13A socket I bought at a car boot sale ......

Just curious why anyone would buy a socket at a boot sale.

Especially one who rather obviously doesn't know what he's buying.

Quite. There's at least a chance the Toolstation ones have been through
some sort of quality control.

alan_m August 13th 19 06:50 AM

car boot sale sockets

On 13/08/2019 06:38, newshound wrote:

Quite. There's at least a chance the Toolstation ones have been through
some sort of quality control.

Quality control by withdrawing a product based on number of customer
returns and/or negative product reviews?

Dave Plowman (News) August 13th 19 01:38 PM

car boot sale sockets

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just figured out what the two extra holes are just below the earth
terminal of a double 13A socket I bought at a car boot sale ......

Just curious why anyone would buy a socket at a boot sale.

Especially one who rather obviously doesn't know what he's buying.

He's Scottish

Canny Scots look for value for money. Not the same as buying cheap junk.

--
*Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups *

Terry Casey August 13th 19 02:26 PM

car boot sale sockets

In article d643867d-785a-4a12-b6e9-f46151427836
@googlegroups.com, says...

On Monday, 12 August 2019 23:01:31 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
Those are quite expensive usually, if you actually want one.

double socket converter 4.30

Exactly. 4.30!

1.44 for an ordinary socket
https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-sw...-socket/p24623

Plus the cost of the double back box, increasing the size of
the hole in the wall to take it and all the extra time taken,
etcetera ...

Instead, a 5 minute job that will make the extra 2.86 seem
well worth it.

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Marland August 13th 19 03:51 PM

car boot sale sockets

*** Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just figured out what the two extra holes are just below the earth
terminal of a double 13A socket I bought at a car boot sale ......

Just curious why anyone would buy a socket at a boot sale.

Especially one who rather obviously doesn't know what he's buying.

He's Scottish

He wanked himself stupid when he found a packet of corn plasters and a
pair of shoes that were too small for him for sale in the same car boot.

Those converter sockets normally come with some blanking plugs to conceal
the screws after fixing .
If he didnt get any then he has been diddled and that is usually enough
reason to ruin a Porridge Wogs day.

GH

what part of still in packet did you not understand?......

Well you seem to have missed what the holes were for so presumably could
not understand or read the instructions that came with them as indicated
by just figured out so it would have been easy for you to think the plugs
were some free tic tac mints or something.

GH

Dave Plowman (News) August 13th 19 04:14 PM

car boot sale sockets

In article ,
Terry Casey wrote:
In article d643867d-785a-4a12-b6e9-f46151427836
@googlegroups.com, says...

On Monday, 12 August 2019 23:01:31 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
Those are quite expensive usually, if you actually want one.
double socket converter 4.30

Exactly. 4.30!

1.44 for an ordinary socket
https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-sw...-socket/p24623

Plus the cost of the double back box, increasing the size of
the hole in the wall to take it and all the extra time taken,
etcetera ...

Instead, a 5 minute job that will make the extra 2.86 seem
well worth it.

Except that it's not going to match any other socket in the room.

--
*HOW DO THEY GET DEER TO CROSS THE ROAD ONLY AT THOSE YELLOW ROAD SIGNS?

charles August 13th 19 04:49 PM

car boot sale sockets

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Terry Casey wrote:
In article d643867d-785a-4a12-b6e9-f46151427836
@googlegroups.com, says...

On Monday, 12 August 2019 23:01:31 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
Those are quite expensive usually, if you actually want one.
double socket converter 4.30

Exactly. 4.30!

1.44 for an ordinary socket
https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-sw...-socket/p24623

Plus the cost of the double back box, increasing the size of
the hole in the wall to take it and all the extra time taken,
etcetera ...

Instead, a 5 minute job that will make the extra 2.86 seem
well worth it.

Except that it's not going to match any other socket in the room.

That might not matter if it isn't in plain sight.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

[email protected] August 13th 19 05:18 PM

car boot sale sockets

On Tuesday, 13 August 2019 16:52:48 UTC+1, charles wrote:
Except that it's not going to match any other socket in the room.

That might not matter if it isn't in plain sight.

Or if, like in my study, all the sockets were singles and they all (well, both) got converter-ed to doubles.

As one had three imperial conduits running into the box, cutting out the box for a double wasn't an option.

Owain

ARW August 13th 19 06:56 PM

car boot sale sockets

In article ,
Terry Casey wrote:
In article d643867d-785a-4a12-b6e9-f46151427836
@googlegroups.com, says...

On Monday, 12 August 2019 23:01:31 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
Those are quite expensive usually, if you actually want one.
double socket converter 4.30

Exactly. 4.30!

1.44 for an ordinary socket
https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-sw...-socket/p24623

Plus the cost of the double back box, increasing the size of
the hole in the wall to take it and all the extra time taken,
etcetera ...

Instead, a 5 minute job that will make the extra 2.86 seem
well worth it.

Except that it's not going to match any other socket in the room.

That does not matter in Terry's case. It's hidden behind a table. It
only took me 2 minutes not 5 minutes to fit it. Although I did actually
charge him for five minutes work:-).

--
Adam

Dave Plowman (News) August 14th 19 10:59 AM

car boot sale sockets

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Terry Casey wrote:
In article d643867d-785a-4a12-b6e9-f46151427836
@googlegroups.com, says...

On Monday, 12 August 2019 23:01:31 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
Those are quite expensive usually, if you actually want one.
double socket converter 4.30

Exactly. 4.30!

1.44 for an ordinary socket
https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-sw...-socket/p24623

Plus the cost of the double back box, increasing the size of
the hole in the wall to take it and all the extra time taken,
etcetera ...

Instead, a 5 minute job that will make the extra 2.86 seem
well worth it.

Except that it's not going to match any other socket in the room.

That might not matter if it isn't in plain sight.

It would matter to me. ;-)

--
*Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route *

newshound August 14th 19 12:06 PM

car boot sale sockets

On 13/08/2019 06:50, alan_m wrote:
On 13/08/2019 06:38, newshound wrote:

Quite. There's at least a chance the Toolstation ones have been
through some sort of quality control.

Quality control by withdrawing a product based on number of customer
returns and/or negative product reviews?

Toolstation is probably big enough and sufficiently interested in its
reputation to do more checking on suppliers than itinerant car boot sale
dealers. But returns and reviews works too.

Terry Casey August 14th 19 01:51 PM

car boot sale sockets

In article ,
says...

In article ,
Terry Casey wrote:
In article d643867d-785a-4a12-b6e9-f46151427836
@googlegroups.com,
says...

Exactly. 4.30!

1.44 for an ordinary socket
https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-sw...-socket/p24623

Plus the cost of the double back box, increasing the size of
the hole in the wall to take it and all the extra time taken,
etcetera ...

Instead, a 5 minute job that will make the extra 2.86 seem
well worth it.

Except that it's not going to match any other socket in the room.

That does not matter in Terry's case. It's hidden behind a table. It
only took me 2 minutes not 5 minutes to fit it. Although I did actually
charge him for five minutes work:-).

Don't worry - I've got a good memory! :-)

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com