Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car Boot Lock - Update

I was unable to open the boot lid using intelligent key on Nissan Micra.
Many thanks to those that tried to help.

Garage had car for MOT and service on Friday.
10 hours!!!!!
Knackered tail gate latch.
Knackered tailgate switch.
Broken wires in the loom.

Quote from the mechanic, "It was a ****ing nightmare".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I seriously doubt if those who design these things ever expect them to go
wrong. I guess if it was too easy to get open, there would be trouble about
that, but one would think that there might have been some kind of universal
remover if busted device.
I know its called a crowbar...

Brian

Email:

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
I was unable to open the boot lid using intelligent key on Nissan Micra.
Many thanks to those that tried to help.

Garage had car for MOT and service on Friday.
10 hours!!!!!
Knackered tail gate latch.
Knackered tailgate switch.
Broken wires in the loom.

Quote from the mechanic, "It was a ****ing nightmare".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mr Pounder wrote:
I was unable to open the boot lid using intelligent key on Nissan Micra.
Many thanks to those that tried to help.

Garage had car for MOT and service on Friday.
10 hours!!!!!
Knackered tail gate latch.
Knackered tailgate switch.
Broken wires in the loom.

Quote from the mechanic, "It was a ****ing nightmare".

So three separate faults all suddenly happened at once?

--
*Upon the advice of my attorney, my shirt bears no message at this time

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I looked into it whilst sat at home waiting for the phone call. I was
getting more and more nervous as the hours crawled by.
It would seem to be a common fault with these cars. There are horror stories
of huge bills from the main dealers.
There are rumors of a re-call, but I can't find it.

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
I was unable to open the boot lid using intelligent key on Nissan Micra.
Many thanks to those that tried to help.

Garage had car for MOT and service on Friday.
10 hours!!!!!
Knackered tail gate latch.
Knackered tailgate switch.
Broken wires in the loom.

Quote from the mechanic, "It was a ****ing nightmare".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 11:58:41 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

I seriously doubt if those who design these things ever expect them to
go wrong.

This is probably true but what the designers design, the materials
engineers specify and what actually gets built after the beancounters
have hada look can be very different...

I guess if it was too easy to get open, there would be trouble about
that, ...

Well there ought to be some sort of manual release that is not overly
easy to access from inside the car. That is not a popup button with a
mushroom head but just a small hole to waggle a screwdriver through that
is normally hidden behind some trim.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Mr Pounder wrote:
I was unable to open the boot lid using intelligent key on Nissan Micra.
Many thanks to those that tried to help.

Garage had car for MOT and service on Friday.
10 hours!!!!!
Knackered tail gate latch.
Knackered tailgate switch.
Broken wires in the loom.

Quote from the mechanic, "It was a ****ing nightmare".

So three separate faults all suddenly happened at once?

"Caused by the wires in the loom shorting".
And I know what you are thinking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 11:58:41 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

I seriously doubt if those who design these things ever expect them to
go wrong.

This is probably true but what the designers design, the materials
engineers specify and what actually gets built after the beancounters
have hada look can be very different...

I guess if it was too easy to get open, there would be trouble about
that, ...

Well there ought to be some sort of manual release that is not overly
easy to access from inside the car. That is not a popup button with a
mushroom head but just a small hole to waggle a screwdriver through that
is normally hidden behind some trim.

I think there is a manual release somewhere.

I dropped the back seats and pulled the boot trim off. I'm 6' tall, this did
not help me in the boot area.
Anyway, I was too stupid to see the manual release so I blasted everything
with VD40.
This did not work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I seriously doubt if those who design these things ever expect them to go
wrong. I guess if it was too easy to get open, there would be trouble
about that, but one would think that there might have been some kind of
universal remover if busted device.
I know its called a crowbar...

Yeah

I really don't know how I am supposed to get into my car should the central
locking micro-switch on the drivers door stop working

The "blipper" has already stopped working and there's only one entry point
with a key which appears to work electronically and not manually

How do you get in when the battery goes flat?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:

The "blipper" has already stopped working and there's only one entry point
with a key which appears to work electronically and not manually
How do you get in when the battery goes flat?

Automatic centre punch?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 11:33:12 -0000, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:

I was unable to open the boot lid using intelligent key on Nissan Micra.
Many thanks to those that tried to help.

Garage had car for MOT and service on Friday.
10 hours!!!!!

So... about four thousand quid then?

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim....." wrote in message

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I seriously doubt if those who design these things ever expect them to go
wrong. I guess if it was too easy to get open, there would be trouble
about that, but one would think that there might have been some kind of
universal remover if busted device.
I know its called a crowbar...

Yeah

I really don't know how I am supposed to get into my car should the
central locking micro-switch on the drivers door stop working

The "blipper" has already stopped working and there's only one entry point
with a key which appears to work electronically and not manually

How do you get in when the battery goes flat?

tim

On a Micra there is a little cover on the passenger door handle. Take it off
and there is a key hole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was unable to open the boot lid using intelligent key on Nissan Micra.
Many thanks to those that tried to help.

Garage had car for MOT and service on Friday.
10 hours!!!!!

So... about four thousand quid then?

Nick

Labour was £120.
I have a very good garage.
Not back street.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I seriously doubt if those who design these things ever expect them to
go wrong. I guess if it was too easy to get open, there would be trouble
about that, but one would think that there might have been some kind of
universal remover if busted device.
I know its called a crowbar...

Yeah

I really don't know how I am supposed to get into my car should the
central locking micro-switch on the drivers door stop working

The "blipper" has already stopped working and there's only one entry
point with a key which appears to work electronically and not manually

How do you get in when the battery goes flat?

tim

On a Micra there is a little cover on the passenger door handle. Take it
off and there is a key hole.

Pretty sure there aren't any hidden keyholes.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim....." wrote in message

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I seriously doubt if those who design these things ever expect them to
go wrong. I guess if it was too easy to get open, there would be
trouble about that, but one would think that there might have been some
kind of universal remover if busted device.
I know its called a crowbar...

Yeah

I really don't know how I am supposed to get into my car should the
central locking micro-switch on the drivers door stop working

The "blipper" has already stopped working and there's only one entry
point with a key which appears to work electronically and not manually

How do you get in when the battery goes flat?

tim

On a Micra there is a little cover on the passenger door handle. Take it
off and there is a key hole.

Pretty sure there aren't any hidden keyholes.

tim

They are very cleverly disguised.
I was told that all cars have one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was unable to open the boot lid using intelligent key on Nissan
Micra. Many thanks to those that tried to help.

Garage had car for MOT and service on Friday. 10 hours!!!!!

So... about four thousand quid then?

Nick

Labour was £120.
I have a very good garage.
Not back street.

12 quid an hour labour? You had this done 50 years ago?

--
*Sorry, I don't date outside my species.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mr Pounder wrote:
I was unable to open the boot lid using intelligent key on Nissan Micra.
Many thanks to those that tried to help.

Garage had car for MOT and service on Friday.
10 hours!!!!!
Knackered tail gate latch.
Knackered tailgate switch.
Broken wires in the loom.

Quote from the mechanic, "It was a ****ing nightmare".

So three separate faults all suddenly happened at once?

No, that's what they broke getting the boot open.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was unable to open the boot lid using intelligent key on Nissan Micra.
Many thanks to those that tried to help.

Garage had car for MOT and service on Friday.
10 hours!!!!!

So... about four thousand quid then?

Nick

Labour was £120.
I have a very good garage.

Ok
Not back street.

ER well then you simply have very EXPENSIVE garage.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 12:15:15 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Mr Pounder wrote:
I was unable to open the boot lid using intelligent key on Nissan
Micra.
Many thanks to those that tried to help.

Garage had car for MOT and service on Friday.
10 hours!!!!!
Knackered tail gate latch.
Knackered tailgate switch.
Broken wires in the loom.

Quote from the mechanic, "It was a ****ing nightmare".

So three separate faults all suddenly happened at once?

More likely they replaced the latch and it didn't work.
So they replaced the switch and it didn't work.
And then they fixed the loom and it did work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 13:49:44 +0000, tim..... wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I seriously doubt if those who design these things ever expect them to
go wrong. I guess if it was too easy to get open, there would be
trouble about that, but one would think that there might have been some
kind of universal remover if busted device.
I know its called a crowbar...

Yeah

I really don't know how I am supposed to get into my car should the
central locking micro-switch on the drivers door stop working

The "blipper" has already stopped working and there's only one entry
point with a key which appears to work electronically and not manually

How do you get in when the battery goes flat?

On my S-Max there is an emergency key hidden inside the key fob. But you
have to have a keyhole too!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 12:24:27 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 11:58:41 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

I seriously doubt if those who design these things ever expect them to
go wrong.

This is probably true but what the designers design, the materials
engineers specify and what actually gets built after the beancounters
have hada look can be very different...

I guess if it was too easy to get open, there would be trouble about
that, ...

Well there ought to be some sort of manual release that is not overly
easy to access from inside the car. That is not a popup button with a
mushroom head but just a small hole to waggle a screwdriver through that
is normally hidden behind some trim.

I know I had trouble with a flat battery on an S-Max. The jump leads were
in the 'boot'. The tailgate lock is electric only.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday 20 January 2013 15:08 Brian Gaff wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Oh that VD 40 again, I guess that made it come up in little warts then?

They do not call him Pounder for nothing.

I will not speculate what is on the receiving end though...

;-

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceived SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

"It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent
moral busybodies."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Sunday 20 January 2013 15:08 Brian Gaff wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Oh that VD 40 again, I guess that made it come up in little warts then?

They do not call him Pounder for nothing.

I will not speculate what is on the receiving end though...

Mr Pounder to you.

;-

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceived SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

"It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent
moral busybodies."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/13 15:51, Mr Pounder wrote:
I did it on porpoise.

Gave it a good whaling first, did you?

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was unable to open the boot lid using intelligent key on Nissan
Micra. Many thanks to those that tried to help.

Garage had car for MOT and service on Friday. 10 hours!!!!!

So... about four thousand quid then?

Nick

Labour was £120.
I have a very good garage.
Not back street.

12 quid an hour labour? You had this done 50 years ago?

I dropped the car off at 7.30 AM. My choice, the garage was open.
I went back at 5PM, they were still working on it.
I drove away at 5.30 PM.
I can't say that they devoted the full 10 hours to my car; but I do know
that they wanted it out of the garage.
The £120 includes labour for the service, MOT preparation and taking the car
for the MOT.
It's grim up north.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was unable to open the boot lid using intelligent key on Nissan
Micra.
Many thanks to those that tried to help.

Garage had car for MOT and service on Friday.
10 hours!!!!!

So... about four thousand quid then?

Nick

Labour was £120.
I have a very good garage.

Ok
Not back street.

ER well then you simply have very EXPENSIVE garage.

Look at my last post. Then explain yours.

--
Ineptocracy

lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members
of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded
with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was unable to open the boot lid using intelligent key on Nissan
Micra.
Many thanks to those that tried to help.

Garage had car for MOT and service on Friday.
10 hours!!!!!

So... about four thousand quid then?

Nick

Labour was £120.
I have a very good garage.

Ok
Not back street.

ER well then you simply have very EXPENSIVE garage.

Look at my last post. Then explain yours.

An hours labour is generally £30-£45

--
Ineptocracy

lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members
of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded
with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/13 15:51, Mr Pounder wrote:
I did it on porpoise.

Gave it a good whaling first, did you?

Adam, where are you when I need you?!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was unable to open the boot lid using intelligent key on Nissan
Micra.
Many thanks to those that tried to help.

Garage had car for MOT and service on Friday.
10 hours!!!!!

So... about four thousand quid then?

Nick

Labour was £120.
I have a very good garage.

Ok
Not back street.

ER well then you simply have very EXPENSIVE garage.

Look at my last post. Then explain yours.

An hours labour is generally £30-£45

I may have misunderstood you.

--
Ineptocracy

members
of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded
with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.

--
Ineptocracy

lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members
of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded
with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Mr Pounder wrote:
I was unable to open the boot lid using intelligent key on Nissan Micra.
Many thanks to those that tried to help.

Garage had car for MOT and service on Friday.
10 hours!!!!!
Knackered tail gate latch.
Knackered tailgate switch.
Broken wires in the loom.

Quote from the mechanic, "It was a ****ing nightmare".

So three separate faults all suddenly happened at once?

You cynic you. ;-). I expect they replaced the latch, didn't work.
Replaced the switch, didn't work. THEN they traced and found the real
fault.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2013 14:50, Mr Pounder wrote:
"tim....." wrote in message

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

They are quite often on the passenger side as a lot are designed for
left hand drive first.

The smart appears to have one that allows you to open the car but not
lock it with a key.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Mr Pounder wrote:
I was unable to open the boot lid using intelligent key on Nissan Micra.
Many thanks to those that tried to help.

Garage had car for MOT and service on Friday.
10 hours!!!!!
Knackered tail gate latch.
Knackered tailgate switch.
Broken wires in the loom.

Quote from the mechanic, "It was a ****ing nightmare".

So three separate faults all suddenly happened at once?

You cynic you. ;-). I expect they replaced the latch, didn't work.
Replaced the switch, didn't work. THEN they traced and found the real
fault.

Tim

I asked for help, you could not help but you slag of the guys that fixed the
problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"Tim+" wrote in message
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Mr Pounder wrote:
I was unable to open the boot lid using intelligent key on Nissan
Micra.
Many thanks to those that tried to help.

Garage had car for MOT and service on Friday.
10 hours!!!!!
Knackered tail gate latch.
Knackered tailgate switch.
Broken wires in the loom.

Quote from the mechanic, "It was a ****ing nightmare".

So three separate faults all suddenly happened at once?

You cynic you. ;-). I expect they replaced the latch, didn't work.
Replaced the switch, didn't work. THEN they traced and found the real
fault.

I asked for help, you could not help

He didn’t have the car in his hands.

but you slag of the guys that fixed the problem.

They didn’t do a very good job of diagnosing where the problem
actually was if they replaced the first two for no useful purpose.

If they had actually diagnosed where the problem actually
was rather than just swapping stuff until the fault went
away, it would have been a lot cheaper in parts used.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

Well it must be (I went to look)

there is definitely not a little cover that can easily be removed

There might be a way of removing the complete housing, I didn't try

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I seriously doubt if those who design these things ever expect them to
go wrong. I guess if it was too easy to get open, there would be
trouble about that, but one would think that there might have been some
kind of universal remover if busted device.
I know its called a crowbar...

Yeah

I really don't know how I am supposed to get into my car should the
central locking micro-switch on the drivers door stop working

The "blipper" has already stopped working and there's only one entry
point with a key which appears to work electronically and not manually

How do you get in when the battery goes flat?

On my S-Max there is an emergency key hidden inside the key fob. But you
have to have a keyhole too!

I have a key and a keyhole, but it (only) appears to operate an electronic
sensor, not manually unlock the door (BICBW)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"Tim+" wrote in message
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Mr Pounder wrote:
[...]

Are you an Australian prick?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Mr Pounder wrote:
I was unable to open the boot lid using intelligent key on Nissan Micra.
Many thanks to those that tried to help.

Garage had car for MOT and service on Friday.
10 hours!!!!!
Knackered tail gate latch.
Knackered tailgate switch.
Broken wires in the loom.

Quote from the mechanic, "It was a ****ing nightmare".

So three separate faults all suddenly happened at once?

You cynic you. ;-). I expect they replaced the latch, didn't work.
Replaced the switch, didn't work. THEN they traced and found the real
fault.

Tim

I asked for help, you could not help but you slag of the guys that fixed the
problem.

Off course you *might* have had three separate problems all occur at the
same time but common things being common, and some garages being a bunch of
shysters, it's more likely that you only had one problem. Shoot the
messenger if you like but it's helpful to know how some garages work to
save yourself paying inflated repair bills for unnecessary work.

Tim

Car boot lock Mr Pounder[_2_] UK diy 32 January 20th 13 03:07 AM
Change Fullex UPVC front door lock for "Lift and Lock" type? Scrump UK diy 8 May 31st 09 08:50 PM
Front door multi-point lock slowly getting harder to lock [email protected] UK diy 2 April 14th 07 09:31 PM
door knobs with key lock and push button lock Nospam Home Repair 4 May 23rd 06 05:05 PM
GE electric slide-in self cleaning auto lock won't lock door sunni Home Repair 1 October 27th 05 12:47 PM