Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car boot lock

Mrs Pounder's 2005 Nissan Micra.
The hatchback was squeaking so I used a spot of VD40 on the struts. It was
only a small amount.
Up and down with the boot lid, no squeak. Closed boot lid.
Now it will not open!

Anybody?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2013 17:29, Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder's 2005 Nissan Micra.
The hatchback was squeaking so I used a spot of VD40 on the struts. It was
only a small amount.
Up and down with the boot lid, no squeak. Closed boot lid.
Now it will not open!

Anybody?

I'm generally a WD40 fan, but it might be the wrong product here; being
a mineral oil, it *might* cause the strut seals to swell, although if
the strut has mineral oil inside it the seals will probably be nitrile
and thus oil resistant.

I think it is probably two independent problems. Or perhaps the squeak
was in the hinges, not the struts, and because of wear on the
pins/bushes the lid has not got itself into a bad geometry. You might
try levering at the hinge end using a screwdriver with a bit of PVC tape
to protect the paint.

--
For every complex problem, there is a solution which is simple, neat,
and wrong.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/13 17:29, Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder's 2005 Nissan Micra.
The hatchback was squeaking so I used a spot of VD40 on the struts. It was
only a small amount.
Up and down with the boot lid, no squeak. Closed boot lid.
Now it will not open!

Anybody?

Should have used WD40 instead :-)

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 15 January 2013 17:29 Mr Pounder wrote in uk.d-i-y:

The hatchback was squeaking so I used a spot of VD40 on the struts.

Wouldn't that make them itchy?

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceived SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

"It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent
moral busybodies."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
eb.com...
[...]

Thank you.
I am corrected.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

{*******s}

--
Ineptocracy

lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members
of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded
with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
Mrs Pounder's 2005 Nissan Micra.
The hatchback was squeaking so I used a spot of VD40 on the struts. It was
only a small amount.
Up and down with the boot lid, no squeak. Closed boot lid.
Now it will not open!

After all that up and down up and down followed by some VD it may be poxied
shut?
Oh, and up and down followed by no squeak means you aren't a caring lover
;-)

On an unrelated note, I've just had to remove and re-lubricate a door lock
on the camper van because it stopped working every time the temperature got
down close to freezing.
Didn't lock shut, it refused to latch at all.
Don't know if there was water in the grease, or what.
However a lot of WD40 followed by some cycle oil seems to have done the
trick for the time being.

So one suggestion is to apply some heat to the area, with a fan heater, hot
air gun or similar and see if that frees it off.
If so, strip and relubricate (the lock!).

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/01/2013 17:29, Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder's 2005 Nissan Micra.
The hatchback was squeaking so I used a spot of VD40 on the struts. It was
only a small amount.
Up and down with the boot lid, no squeak. Closed boot lid.
Now it will not open!

Anybody?

Define what you mean by 'will not open'. Lock turns and the lid starts
to rise, but then the struts won't let it? Or what?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
On 15/01/2013 17:29, Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder's 2005 Nissan Micra.
The hatchback was squeaking so I used a spot of VD40 on the struts. It was
only a small amount.
Up and down with the boot lid, no squeak. Closed boot lid.
Now it will not open!

Anybody?

Define what you mean by 'will not open'. Lock turns and the lid starts to
rise, but then the struts won't let it? Or what?

Indeed. Too vague to diagnose.

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere on the net about the perils of using
WD40 on hydraulic rams or similar strut. It was posted by a sailor (Ellen
McCarthy possibly) who had trouble with steering rams that seized after
being treated with WD40.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
[...]

Well, thanks.

One typo. I made one typo and this lot are all over me!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 15/01/2013 17:29, Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder's 2005 Nissan Micra.
The hatchback was squeaking so I used a spot of VD40 on the struts. It
was
only a small amount.
Up and down with the boot lid, no squeak. Closed boot lid.
Now it will not open!

Anybody?

Define what you mean by 'will not open'. Lock turns and the lid starts to
rise, but then the struts won't let it? Or what?

Button on key used. Lid does **** all.
It is one of those silly electronic open door things.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
GB wrote:
On 15/01/2013 17:29, Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder's 2005 Nissan Micra.
The hatchback was squeaking so I used a spot of VD40 on the struts. It
was
only a small amount.
Up and down with the boot lid, no squeak. Closed boot lid.
Now it will not open!

Anybody?

Define what you mean by 'will not open'. Lock turns and the lid starts to
rise, but then the struts won't let it? Or what?

Indeed. Too vague to diagnose.

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere on the net about the perils of using
WD40 on hydraulic rams or similar strut. It was posted by a sailor (Ellen
McCarthy possibly) who had trouble with steering rams that seized after
being treated with WD40.

Tim

Read my last posting.
Central locking thingeee.
Opening by pressing a button on a key.
I'm so sorry I did not make myself clear enough.

Thanks for you input.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
[...]

Just like a rash.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2013 19:31, Tim+ wrote:
GB wrote:
On 15/01/2013 17:29, Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder's 2005 Nissan Micra.
The hatchback was squeaking so I used a spot of VD40 on the struts. It was
only a small amount.
Up and down with the boot lid, no squeak. Closed boot lid.
Now it will not open!

Anybody?

Define what you mean by 'will not open'. Lock turns and the lid starts to
rise, but then the struts won't let it? Or what?

Indeed. Too vague to diagnose.

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere on the net about the perils of using
WD40 on hydraulic rams or similar strut. It was posted by a sailor (Ellen
McCarthy possibly) who had trouble with steering rams that seized after
being treated with WD40.

Tim

But you don't get many ovines at sea, do you?

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
On 15/01/2013 19:31, Tim+ wrote:
GB wrote:
On 15/01/2013 17:29, Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder's 2005 Nissan Micra.
The hatchback was squeaking so I used a spot of VD40 on the struts. It was
only a small amount.
Up and down with the boot lid, no squeak. Closed boot lid.
Now it will not open!

Anybody?

Define what you mean by 'will not open'. Lock turns and the lid starts to
rise, but then the struts won't let it? Or what?

Indeed. Too vague to diagnose.

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere on the net about the perils of using
WD40 on hydraulic rams or similar strut. It was posted by a sailor (Ellen
McCarthy possibly) who had trouble with steering rams that seized after
being treated with WD40.

Tim

But you don't get many ovines at sea, do you?

Should have used SK70 obviously. ;-)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/01/2013 19:59, Mr Pounder wrote:

Define what you mean by 'will not open'. Lock turns and the lid starts to
rise, but then the struts won't let it? Or what?

Button on key used. Lid does **** all.
It is one of those silly electronic open door things.

You don't have a separate release lever inside the car, by any chance?

What this comes down to is that the lock will not operate. I completely
fail to see how the struts can affect the lock. Even if the struts are
seized totally, you'd expect a bit of play, ie enough for the lock to
operate.

If all else fails, drop the rear seats forward and crawl inside the boot
to see what's wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2013 20:33, Tim+ wrote:
polygonum wrote:
On 15/01/2013 19:31, Tim+ wrote:
GB wrote:
[...]

I had to look that up! :-)

Google found:

I saw a Lifestyles condom in the student center at my school, and it
said " Lubricated with SK70."

and

SK 70 D. Preliminary Data. Features. €¢ Compact design. €¢ One screw
mounting.

Strange bedfellows...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 15/01/2013 17:29, Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder's 2005 Nissan Micra.
The hatchback was squeaking so I used a spot of VD40 on the struts. It
was
only a small amount.
Up and down with the boot lid, no squeak. Closed boot lid.
Now it will not open!

Anybody?

Define what you mean by 'will not open'. Lock turns and the lid starts to
rise, but then the struts won't let it? Or what?

Button on key used. Lid does **** all.
It is one of those silly electronic open door things.

It is a known problem with the boot switch (try google or see
http://www.3dlabellingsystems.com/pa...ot_switch.html)

As it happens the missus' '09 Micra developed exactly the same problem a
couple of days ago - rather ironic as the boot has probably only been
open 5 times since the car was bought 3 years ago (new).

Couldn't be bothered doing it myself - people on Google commented that
you are all but guaranteed to break the plastic clips/lugs that hold the
cover for the mechanism in the process, etc, etc Car is booked for this
Friday to get it sorted...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 15/01/2013 19:59, Mr Pounder wrote:

Define what you mean by 'will not open'. Lock turns and the lid starts
rise, but then the struts won't let it? Or what?

Button on key used. Lid does **** all.
It is one of those silly electronic open door things.

You don't have a separate release lever inside the car, by any chance?

What this comes down to is that the lock will not operate. I completely
fail to see how the struts can affect the lock. Even if the struts are
seized totally, you'd expect a bit of play, ie enough for the lock to
operate.

If all else fails, drop the rear seats forward and crawl inside the boot
to see what's wrong.

Rear seats pushed forward, boot cover removed.
I was looking at a plastic electrical thing with wires going to it.
Nothing happens when I press the button on the key, the other doors work
fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
[...]

Happens to us all :-)
Nice not to be on the receiving end for once!

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
[...]

There are some that take a dim view of myself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Tim Watts wrote:
On Tuesday 15 January 2013 17:29 Mr Pounder wrote in uk.d-i-y:

The hatchback was squeaking so I used a spot of VD40 on the struts.

Wouldn't that make them itchy?

Does your post deserve a a round of applause or just the clap?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2013 09:46, Mr Pounder wrote:
"GB" wrote in message
[...]

My wife's car was frozen up yesterday morning. The central locking
worked on the boot and three doors, but the driver's door remained
locked. At first I thought the door had frozen to the seals, but then I
realised that even pushing from inside with my foot gave no movement at
all. Running the engine while I de-iced the glass got a little heat in
and then operating the central locking a few times released it.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
Tim Watts wrote:
On Tuesday 15 January 2013 17:29 Mr Pounder wrote in uk.d-i-y:

The hatchback was squeaking so I used a spot of VD40 on the struts.

Wouldn't that make them itchy?

Does your post deserve a a round of applause or just the clap?

--
Adam

One typo, just one typo and I seem to be the standing joke of the weak.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
[...]

Narr, it not frozen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2013 10:34, Mr Pounder wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
Tim Watts wrote:
On Tuesday 15 January 2013 17:29 Mr Pounder wrote in uk.d-i-y:

The hatchback was squeaking so I used a spot of VD40 on the struts.

Wouldn't that make them itchy?

Does your post deserve a a round of applause or just the clap?

--
Adam

One typo, just one typo and I seem to be the standing joke of the weak.

Was that intentional? Or is that two?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
Tim Watts wrote:
On Tuesday 15 January 2013 17:29 Mr Pounder wrote in uk.d-i-y:

The hatchback was squeaking so I used a spot of VD40 on the struts.

Wouldn't that make them itchy?

Does your post deserve a a round of applause or just the clap?

--
Adam

One typo, just one typo and I seem to be the standing joke of the weak.

Was that intentional? Or is that two?

--
Rod

I did it on porpoise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 16, 5:36*am, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

[...]

Wot, no comments about stripping before lubricating the lock?