Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Power Line Adapters and degree of separation

Leaving aside the downsides of Power Line Adapters, I do have a spare pair
(courtesy of VM) and a potential use.

I have power from the house to the shed on a B40 RCBO in the main fuse
board.

At the other end is the old (pre-rewire) fuse box.

Is there anything to be gained by sharing a fused spur with the RCBO
connection (that is, not relying on the PLA signal passing between RCBOs)?

Just that I have the electrician in at the moment replacing green goo
wiring and this might be the time for a little extra work if there is a
major benefit.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2019 11:09, David wrote:
Leaving aside the downsides of Power Line Adapters, I do have a spare pair
(courtesy of VM) and a potential use.

I have power from the house to the shed on a B40 RCBO in the main fuse
board.

At the other end is the old (pre-rewire) fuse box.

Is there anything to be gained by sharing a fused spur with the RCBO
connection (that is, not relying on the PLA signal passing between RCBOs)?

Just that I have the electrician in at the moment replacing green goo
wiring and this might be the time for a little extra work if there is a
major benefit.

FAR better to run cat5 to the shed.

Cheers

Dave R

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2019 11:09, David wrote:
Leaving aside the downsides of Power Line Adapters, I do have a spare pair
(courtesy of VM) and a potential use.

I have power from the house to the shed on a B40 RCBO in the main fuse
board.

At the other end is the old (pre-rewire) fuse box.

Is there anything to be gained by sharing a fused spur with the RCBO
connection (that is, not relying on the PLA signal passing between RCBOs)?

Just that I have the electrician in at the moment replacing green goo
wiring and this might be the time for a little extra work if there is a
major benefit.

While they will work though MCBs, RCD, RCBO etc, the fewer that you need
to go through the better.

IME a couple of MCBs does not have much impact - a setup I did the other
day was getting ~330 Mbps with them close on the same circuit, and that
dropped to ~200 Mbps with three devices spread over three storeys on
three different circuits.

Going thought more devices, and RCD type devices in particular, has more
impact. My link to my workshop is only just about functional and perhaps
gets 10 Mbps, but that is through MCB, RCD, Henley, RCD, Fuse, Submain,
RCD, MCB.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Aug 2019 13:00:28 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 09/08/2019 11:09, David wrote:
Leaving aside the downsides of Power Line Adapters, I do have a spare
pair (courtesy of VM) and a potential use.

I have power from the house to the shed on a B40 RCBO in the main fuse
board.

At the other end is the old (pre-rewire) fuse box.

Is there anything to be gained by sharing a fused spur with the RCBO
connection (that is, not relying on the PLA signal passing between
RCBOs)?

Just that I have the electrician in at the moment replacing green goo
wiring and this might be the time for a little extra work if there is a
major benefit.

FAR better to run cat5 to the shed.

This is the backup plan if the CAT5E fails to pull through the conduit.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David" wrote in message
On Fri, 09 Aug 2019 13:00:28 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 09/08/2019 11:09, David wrote:
Leaving aside the downsides of Power Line Adapters, I do have a spare
pair (courtesy of VM) and a potential use.

I have power from the house to the shed on a B40 RCBO in the main fuse
board.

At the other end is the old (pre-rewire) fuse box.

Is there anything to be gained by sharing a fused spur with the RCBO
connection (that is, not relying on the PLA signal passing between
RCBOs)?

Just that I have the electrician in at the moment replacing green goo
wiring and this might be the time for a little extra work if there is a
major benefit.

FAR better to run cat5 to the shed.

This is the backup plan if the CAT5E fails to pull through the conduit.

Yes, Cat 5 is always the *best* solution, but it is often not the easiest,
as it involves drilling through walls (maybe masonry), routing the cable
alongside carpets (to make it as inconspicuous as possible) and under metal
strips in doorways, and maybe scrabbling around in a hot loft, perching on
beams and lifting the glass wool insulation. And there is always the problem
of how you feed a cable through a ceiling: you want to run the cable as
close to the wall, maybe in the corner between two walls, but you can't get
a drill right into the corner, either from below or from above.

In our new house, the wifi in the router was woefully inadequate. After
looking in the loft and finding very low rafters, and about 3 feet of glass
wool which made it precarious to move from one beam to the next (feel your
way gingerly to make sure your foot is on a beam!), I abandoned the idea of
running Cat 5. I could have drilled through the outside walls to run the
cable under the eaves, but that is a nasty job, especially as you need to
make all holes big enough to pass an RJ45 plug (I experimented once with a
crimping tool and found it impossible to get all the wires into the right
holes in the socket at the same time: I'd crimp and find that one of the
wires hadn't quite been caught by the IDC so I had to start all over again.
Anything smaller than a 3-pin mains plug is just too fiddly ;-) (is that a
sign of old age?)

I tried a Powerline device but even that didn't have a strong enough wifi to
cover all the house that wasn't covered by the router, and I discovered that
the range of the Powerline technology was so poor (intermittent dropouts and
generally very slow speed) that there was no point even thinking about
getting a second device to cover the wifi dead zone of the first device.

So I bit the bullet and bought mesh wifi devices (Linksys Velop) which are
brilliant, though the range of each one at 5 GHz (as used for the backhaul
connection back to the router) is not brilliant so we needed a lot more than
estimated for a typical house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2019 17:10, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes my thoughts too, a huge long interference generator is what you will
have otherwise.
I feel sure some better kind of signal packaging could make these devices
less RFI nightmares to everything radio.
Brian

Yes, run an ethernet cable and throw the interference generating
powerline adapters in the bin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Fri, 09 Aug 2019 13:00:28 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 09/08/2019 11:09, David wrote:
Leaving aside the downsides of Power Line Adapters, I do have a spare
pair (courtesy of VM) and a potential use.

I have power from the house to the shed on a B40 RCBO in the main fuse
board.

At the other end is the old (pre-rewire) fuse box.

Is there anything to be gained by sharing a fused spur with the RCBO
connection (that is, not relying on the PLA signal passing between
RCBOs)?

Just that I have the electrician in at the moment replacing green goo
wiring and this might be the time for a little extra work if there is a
major benefit.

FAR better to run cat5 to the shed.

+1,000,000

Domestically, I have had no end of problems over the past
15 years with any non-wired networking connection.

Wifi works fine here. I even let my back neighbour use my
wifi. At one time I had to have a wifi repeater half way
down her back yard, powered on an extension cord from
my place, under an upturned bucket with a brick on it.

That Medion wifi repeater was a bit temperamental
which is hardly surprising given that the temperature
under the bucket would swing from -5C to 50C+,
well outside its rating. Always a power cycle got it
going again. Then it died, which again isnt very
surprising. I brought it inside to have a look if it
was easy to fix and was surprised when she
thanked me for fixing it so quickly.

Turned out that the new Technicolor router did wifi
so much better that she now gets a very decent signal
inside her house 100M from the router, thru two concrete
block walls at my place and one window at her place.

And since the whole ****ing point of wanting my machines on
a network is to be able to access them remotely, so they can be
shoved in a cupboard, it's a ****ing PITA to invariably end up
having to find a monitor, etc, to work out what the problem is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 04:29:11 +1000, jleikppkywk, better known as
cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rodent Speed, wrote:

Domestically, I have had no end of problems over the past
15 years with any non-wired networking connection.

Wifi works fine here.

Where's "here", senile asshole? Australia? Then **** off to an Australian
ng, idiot!

--