Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Minimum separation between pipe and cable

I need to run some CH pipe close to an SWA cable (perpendicular to, not
parallel) OSG says cable should not be in contact or alongside. It won't
be in contact, but there will be no more than a centimetre gap at best.
That feels more than enough gap, given I can fit some of this stuff
round the pipe

Anyone agree/disagree?

Ben

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Ben Blaukopf
writes
I need to run some CH pipe close to an SWA cable (perpendicular to, not
parallel) OSG says cable should not be in contact or alongside. It won't
be in contact, but there will be no more than a centimetre gap at best.
That feels more than enough gap, given I can fit some of this stuff
round the pipe

That's really not very far, can you hack about the surrounding material to
get a bigger gap. Also, standard foam pipe lagging or quality foam based
insulation would do a better job, shiny bubble wrap really doesn't cut it.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article , Ben Blaukopf
writes
I need to run some CH pipe close to an SWA cable (perpendicular to, not
parallel) OSG says cable should not be in contact or alongside. It won't
be in contact, but there will be no more than a centimetre gap at best.
That feels more than enough gap, given I can fit some of this stuff
round the pipe

That's really not very far, can you hack about the surrounding material to
get a bigger gap. Also, standard foam pipe lagging or quality foam based
insulation would do a better job, shiny bubble wrap really doesn't cut it.

The shiny bubble wrap reckons it's equivalent to 33mm of foam...

I reckon I can fit a full crossover in there, so that'll improve things
a fair bit.

Ben
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Ben Blaukopf
writes
fred wrote:
In article , Ben Blaukopf
writes
I need to run some CH pipe close to an SWA cable (perpendicular to, not
parallel) OSG says cable should not be in contact or alongside. It won't
be in contact, but there will be no more than a centimetre gap at best.
That feels more than enough gap, given I can fit some of this stuff
round the pipe

That's really not very far, can you hack about the surrounding material to
get a bigger gap. Also, standard foam pipe lagging or quality foam based
insulation would do a better job, shiny bubble wrap really doesn't cut it.

The shiny bubble wrap reckons it's equivalent to 33mm of foam...

But that is ******** . . . .

. . . or for a slightly more complete answer, that product relies for its
effectiveness on a reduction in radiation from its silvered surface, for this to
be effective it needs to mounted in a still air gap of 50mm, no more, no
less. If there's a draught it doesn't work, if it gets dirty it doesn't work and if
you have something in close proximity it doesn't work. If there is an alleged
insulating product less suited to use as pipe insulation I struggle to think of
it.

As you may have guessed its elaborate claims are one of my pet hates ;-)

I reckon I can fit a full crossover in there, so that'll improve things
a fair bit.

Prob safer, then you could use some 20mm (thick) climaflex (good pipe
insulation) to keep the heat off the cable.

HTH