iamwhatiam

Default Minimum height of cable supported by catenenary wire ???

I have a greenhouse less than 3m away from the house wall with only
pedestrian access underneath.

Any idea if there is a minimum height for cable supported by
catenenary wire. It looks like 3.5m, in postions inaccessible to
vehicular traffic.

Checking up with the regs, it gives the impression that I could run a
cable without any support as long as the span is less than 3m

If thats the case, whats the best support for each end of the cable
???

Lurch

On or around Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:53:23 GMT, iamwhatiam
mused:

I have a greenhouse less than 3m away from the house wall with only
pedestrian access underneath.

Any idea if there is a minimum height for cable supported by
catenenary wire. It looks like 3.5m, in postions inaccessible to
vehicular traffic.

Checking up with the regs, it gives the impression that I could run a
cable without any support as long as the span is less than 3m

All looks the case to me. Personally, I'd use a catenary as it makes
it eeasier for attaching to walls as you can just use some decent
substantial hooks of any variety.

If thats the case, whats the best support for each end of the cable
???

See above.
--
| Stuart @ SJW Electrical. Please Reply to group. |
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:53:23 GMT, iamwhatiam wrote:

I have a greenhouse less than 3m away from the house wall with only
pedestrian access underneath.

Any idea if there is a minimum height for cable supported by
catenenary wire. It looks like 3.5m, in postions inaccessible to
vehicular traffic.

Checking up with the regs, it gives the impression that I could run a
cable without any support as long as the span is less than 3m

If thats the case, whats the best support for each end of the cable
???

Personally, I'd run it lower, through a plastic (Even earthed metal)
tube or duct. It'd then be self supporting and less vunerable to
damage.

If you grow a nice vine along it you won't even see it.

sponix
Peter Stockdale

"--s-p-o-n-i-x--" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:53:23 GMT, iamwhatiam wrote:

Personally, I'd run it lower, through a plastic (Even earthed metal)
tube or duct. It'd then be self supporting and less vunerable to
damage.

If you grow a nice vine along it you won't even see it.

sponix

I do not understand this answer.
If it is run lower in any form, it will be at greater risk of being
vandalised or accidentally bumped in to.
I would use a supporting wire with eyehook fixings at the height specified
by regulation.

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lurch

On or around Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:39:57 +0000, --s-p-o-n-i-x--
mused:

Personally, I'd run it lower, through a plastic (Even earthed metal)
tube or duct. It'd then be self supporting and less vunerable to
damage.

If you grow a nice vine along it you won't even see it.

You really do talk some crap at times. If BS7671 says minimum height
of 3m then it should go at or above 3m high.
--
| Stuart @ SJW Electrical. Please Reply to group. |

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade

Lurch wrote:

You really do talk some crap at times. If BS7671 says minimum height
of 3m then it should go at or above 3m high.

Whilst not disagreeing with the "talking crap" bit, it should be pointed
out that BS 7671 does not give any heights. Those are in the OSG (Table
4B) and they are therefore only advisory. You would need to present a
very well reasoned case though for deviating from from accepted good
practice - "I couldn't be bothered to put it up any higher" shouldn't
wash with a competent inspector.

And it's 3.5 m, by the way (with no vehicular access) unless the cable
is in heavy gauge steel conduit with no joints along the span, in which
case 3.0 m applies.

--
Andy

Minimum door height G&M UK diy 17 September 19th 17 04:46 PM
minimum height for soil pipe connection ? [email protected] UK diy 4 September 28th 05 08:00 PM
Minimum stair to ceiling height? [email protected] UK diy 13 August 30th 05 05:56 PM
Earth bonding cable - minimum size? Lobster UK diy 12 May 28th 04 04:56 AM
Routeing Electrical FTE cable pickerel UK diy 3 July 24th 03 12:43 AM