G&M

Default Minimum door height

Is there any standard for the minimum door height ?

Building regs K1 require a minimum height of 2m for stairs and landings but
I can't find anything for doors.

I'm having to replace several rotten wooden lintels above quite low (about 5
1/2 feet) door frames (actually the door frame formed part of the lintel) so
have to meet regulations but can't find anything on how high I have to
install the new lintel.

Or can I just put it at the existing height and require everybody to duck as
they enter rooms :-) ?

BigWallop

G&M wrote:
Is there any standard for the minimum door height ?

Building regs K1 require a minimum height of 2m for stairs and landings but
I can't find anything for doors.

I'm having to replace several rotten wooden lintels above quite low (about 5
1/2 feet) door frames (actually the door frame formed part of the lintel) so
have to meet regulations but can't find anything on how high I have to
install the new lintel.

Or can I just put it at the existing height and require everybody to duck as
they enter rooms :-) ?

I think new interior doors are all around the 1,981 mm (6ft 6inches) in height
by 686 mm (2ft 3inches) in width, and exterior doors give a bit of a wider
opening at around the 850 mm (2ft 9inches) in width. These are about the
standard sizes today.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Rick Dipper

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 22:56:17 +0100, "G&M" wrote:

Is there any standard for the minimum door height ?

Building regs K1 require a minimum height of 2m for stairs and landings but
I can't find anything for doors.

I'm having to replace several rotten wooden lintels above quite low (about 5
1/2 feet) door frames (actually the door frame formed part of the lintel) so
have to meet regulations but can't find anything on how high I have to
install the new lintel.

Or can I just put it at the existing height and require everybody to duck as
they enter rooms :-) ?

Sir

I had a bit of a ding-dong with an architect who designed a door too
low to walk through, he insisted it passed building regs as there is
no minimum door height in the regs. However being the prod owenr of an
old house with low doors, I recommend that you keep then as tall as
possible, my head still gets wacked when I mis juege in the middle of
the night ......

Rick

Michael Mcneil

"Rick Dipper" wrote in message

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 22:56:17 +0100, "G&M" wrote:

Is there any standard for the minimum door height ?

I had a bit of a ding-dong with an architect who designed a door too
low to walk through.

There is plenty of information on here about putting new lintles in a
wall. All you have to worry about is the clearance inside. Are the
ceilings low? Why was the original doorway low in the first place?

If you do go the whole hog and put them in for a full size frame or one
as high as possible, you might want to consider moving the whole
entrance if there is a more suitable spot for it.

G&M

"Michael Mcneil" wrote in message Is there
any standard for the minimum door height ?
There is plenty of information on here about putting new lintles in a
wall.

That's not a problem. Apart from the BCO insisting on lintel calculations.

All you have to worry about is the clearance inside.

What clearance do you mean ?

Are the ceilings low?

A bit. Not sillily so like some old cottages though.

Why was the original doorway low in the first place?

Because the previous idiot owner was trying to give it that old cottage feel
I think.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

2.m 30..high 900. Wide
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2017 07:04, wrote:

2.m 30..high 900. Wide

....is probably the wrong answer!

Minimum door height for what anyway?

A standard UK internal door is usually 1981mm tall and 762mm wide (or
about 2'6" x 6'6").

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I thought six-six by two-six was so embedded into British house building
to be effectively a standard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Humphrey wrote:
jgh wrote:
I thought six-six by two-six was so embedded into British house building
to be effectively a standard.

What standard?

The six-six by two-six standard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2017 23:28, bert wrote:
In article , John
Rumm writes
On 16/09/2017 11:32, bert wrote:
In article , John
Rumm writes
On 15/09/2017 07:04, wrote:

2.m 30..high 900. Wide

...is probably the wrong answer!

Minimum door height for what anyway?

A standard UK internal door is usually 1981mm tall and 762mm wide (or
about 2'6" x 6'6").

Ours are 2042 x 720 approx. "metric" size according to the builder in
1979, Well there was a transport strike on at the time. ******* size if
ever there was one.

2040 x 726 is a fairly easy size to get hold of...

A quick look in B&Q and out of all the range only two styles are that
size - pre-painted and soft pine.

I have ordered some from here in the past:

http://www.doorsworld.co/

They seem to have a pretty wide range of size options.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
Rumm writes
On 16/09/2017 23:28, bert wrote:
In article , John
Rumm writes
On 16/09/2017 11:32, bert wrote:
In article , John
Rumm writes
On 15/09/2017 07:04, wrote:

2.m 30..high 900. Wide

...is probably the wrong answer!

Minimum door height for what anyway?

A standard UK internal door is usually 1981mm tall and 762mm wide (or
about 2'6" x 6'6").

Ours are 2042 x 720 approx. "metric" size according to the builder in
1979, Well there was a transport strike on at the time. ******* size if
ever there was one.

2040 x 726 is a fairly easy size to get hold of...

A quick look in B&Q and out of all the range only two styles are that
size - pre-painted and soft pine.

I have ordered some from here in the past:

http://www.doorsworld.co/

They seem to have a pretty wide range of size options.

Thanks for that I'll bear it in mind - seems a very slow web site
though.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, June 4, 2004 at 1:26:56 AM UTC+1, Rick Dipper wrote:
[...]

Watch out for a detached retina in later life :-(

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 17 September 2017 01:19:13 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 16/09/2017 23:28, bert wrote:
In article , John
Rumm writes
On 16/09/2017 11:32, bert wrote:
In article , John
Rumm writes
On 15/09/2017 07:04, wrote:

2.m 30..high 900. Wide

...is probably the wrong answer!

Minimum door height for what anyway?

A standard UK internal door is usually 1981mm tall and 762mm wide (or
about 2'6" x 6'6").

Ours are 2042 x 720 approx. "metric" size according to the builder in
1979, Well there was a transport strike on at the time. ******* size if
ever there was one.

2040 x 726 is a fairly easy size to get hold of...

A quick look in B&Q and out of all the range only two styles are that
size - pre-painted and soft pine.

I have ordered some from here in the past:

http://www.doorsworld.co/

They seem to have a pretty wide range of size options.

I pass this place quite often the Door shop.

as you can se from teh picture it's small.

https://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1107/61806.php