Posted to uk.d-i-y
jleikppkywk jleikppkywk is offline

Default Power Line Adapters and degree of separation

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Fri, 09 Aug 2019 13:00:28 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 09/08/2019 11:09, David wrote:
Leaving aside the downsides of Power Line Adapters, I do have a spare
pair (courtesy of VM) and a potential use.

I have power from the house to the shed on a B40 RCBO in the main fuse
board.

At the other end is the old (pre-rewire) fuse box.

Is there anything to be gained by sharing a fused spur with the RCBO
connection (that is, not relying on the PLA signal passing between
RCBOs)?

Just that I have the electrician in at the moment replacing green goo
wiring and this might be the time for a little extra work if there is a
major benefit.

FAR better to run cat5 to the shed.

+1,000,000

Domestically, I have had no end of problems over the past
15 years with any non-wired networking connection.

Wifi works fine here. I even let my back neighbour use my
wifi. At one time I had to have a wifi repeater half way
down her back yard, powered on an extension cord from
my place, under an upturned bucket with a brick on it.

That Medion wifi repeater was a bit temperamental
which is hardly surprising given that the temperature
under the bucket would swing from -5C to 50C+,
well outside its rating. Always a power cycle got it
going again. Then it died, which again isnt very
surprising. I brought it inside to have a look if it
was easy to fix and was surprised when she
thanked me for fixing it so quickly.

Turned out that the new Technicolor router did wifi
so much better that she now gets a very decent signal
inside her house 100M from the router, thru two concrete
block walls at my place and one window at her place.

And since the whole ****ing point of wanting my machines on
a network is to be able to access them remotely, so they can be
shoved in a cupboard, it's a ****ing PITA to invariably end up
having to find a monitor, etc, to work out what the problem is.