Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Power Line Adapters and degree of separation

On 09/08/2019 11:09, David wrote:
Leaving aside the downsides of Power Line Adapters, I do have a spare pair
(courtesy of VM) and a potential use.

I have power from the house to the shed on a B40 RCBO in the main fuse
board.

At the other end is the old (pre-rewire) fuse box.

Is there anything to be gained by sharing a fused spur with the RCBO
connection (that is, not relying on the PLA signal passing between RCBOs)?

Just that I have the electrician in at the moment replacing green goo
wiring and this might be the time for a little extra work if there is a
major benefit.

While they will work though MCBs, RCD, RCBO etc, the fewer that you need
to go through the better.

IME a couple of MCBs does not have much impact - a setup I did the other
day was getting ~330 Mbps with them close on the same circuit, and that
dropped to ~200 Mbps with three devices spread over three storeys on
three different circuits.

Going thought more devices, and RCD type devices in particular, has more
impact. My link to my workshop is only just about functional and perhaps
gets 10 Mbps, but that is through MCB, RCD, Henley, RCD, Fuse, Submain,
RCD, MCB.

--
Cheers,

John.