Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Weight measurement to computer input?

Peeps,

I would like to read the output of a strain gauge (measuring weight
(0-5kg) in this instance) from a PC as part of a general experiment
but not sure what bit does (and maybe limits), what.

So, strain gauge (or gauges) connects to a SG amp and that turns the
output into volts?

Then you could read said volts with say an Arduino and then have a USB
interface to PC, effectively streaming the output of the strain gauge
in ASCII (numbers) to the PC (and the rest is software etc) .

However, I understand the Arduino's only have a 10(12 with a tweak)
bit ADC and so with 10 bits I'm only going to get 1024 output values?

eg, If that was a 1kg 'scale' then I could read around 1g increments
but if it was a 5kg scale then ~5g would be the smallest increment
(that may be fine but I am just testing my understanding here).

Or is the output of the little eBay strain gauge amps already serial
so if it was a 24 bit device (16777216) it would be resolving down to
~1/3000 of a g (mathematically at least) and so would just use the
Arduino to turn it into ASCII over a USB interface (no ADC needed)?

I know you can buy commercial strain gauge to ASCII over USB devices
but they aren't exactly cheap (~£250+).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 August 2019 14:50:31 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
Peeps,

I would like to read the output of a strain gauge (measuring weight
(0-5kg) in this instance) from a PC as part of a general experiment
but not sure what bit does (and maybe limits), what.

I have made this sort of suggestion for a studetn project, where it can count coins going into a money box.

youtube has more than just cat videos :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWFiKMSB_4M

So, strain gauge (or gauges) connects to a SG amp and that turns the
output into volts?

their resistance changes and for small scale a wheatstone bridge circuit is a good idea and then that can be tunred into volts.

Then you could read said volts with say an Arduino and then have a USB
interface to PC, effectively streaming the output of the strain gauge
in ASCII (numbers) to the PC (and the rest is software etc) .

I did a simialr thing years ago using pressure sensors and a BBC computer using the analogue joystck ports as the input.

However, I understand the Arduino's only have a 10(12 with a tweak)
bit ADC and so with 10 bits I'm only going to get 1024 output values?

I;m guessing theres far better dedicated boards from somneone than an ardunio
for changing volts to a digital o/p.

eg, If that was a 1kg 'scale' then I could read around 1g increments
but if it was a 5kg scale then ~5g would be the smallest increment
(that may be fine but I am just testing my understanding here).

Or is the output of the little eBay strain gauge amps already serial
so if it was a 24 bit device (16777216) it would be resolving down to
~1/3000 of a g (mathematically at least) and so would just use the
Arduino to turn it into ASCII over a USB interface (no ADC needed)?

I know you can buy commercial strain gauge to ASCII over USB devices
but they aren't exactly cheap (~£250+).

https://uk.farnell.com/dfrobot/sen0160/digital-weight-sensor-arduino/dp/2946119?gclid=Cj0KCQjwkK_qBRD8ARIsAOteukD3iJksW0Mv WXNfIRdkp4IpZ19865gcUFIqSsfJOg-YC7SD3Z9PelEaApxkEALw_wcB&gross_price=true&mckv=YO 18ZYDl_dc|pcrid|78108376509|&CAWELAID=120173390002 973959&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=14406255429&CMP=KNC-GUK-GEN-SHOPPING-2946119&CATCI=aud-308408796421la-41477300408

One of the problems with studetn projects is that they can;t really practical make their own hardware they just ask me to order modules that they join together it's more like lego than electronic engineering.

After connecting a few boards hopefully the right way around, and nothing gets hot the rest of their time is spent coding

It's difficult to come up with an actual electronic engineering project where they use components.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Or buy a cheap set of electronic bathroom scales and hack it.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"T i m" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/08/2019 14:50, T i m wrote:
Peeps,

I would like to read the output of a strain gauge (measuring weight
(0-5kg) in this instance) from a PC as part of a general experiment
but not sure what bit does (and maybe limits), what.

So, strain gauge (or gauges) connects to a SG amp and that turns the
output into volts?

Then you could read said volts with say an Arduino and then have a USB
interface to PC, effectively streaming the output of the strain gauge
in ASCII (numbers) to the PC (and the rest is software etc) .

However, I understand the Arduino's only have a 10(12 with a tweak)
bit ADC and so with 10 bits I'm only going to get 1024 output values?

eg, If that was a 1kg 'scale' then I could read around 1g increments
but if it was a 5kg scale then ~5g would be the smallest increment
(that may be fine but I am just testing my understanding here).

Yes. You should be able to get 12bit or 16bit ADCs relatively cheaply
provided that you don't want fast ones and can live with a bit of
non-linearity. I you want strict linear then you will have to calibrate
it against a reliable voltage reference source.

Or is the output of the little eBay strain gauge amps already serial
so if it was a 24 bit device (16777216) it would be resolving down to
~1/3000 of a g (mathematically at least) and so would just use the
Arduino to turn it into ASCII over a USB interface (no ADC needed)?

I'd expect a simple strain gauge to output either a resistance value,
voltage or current depending on its internal design. Yo will have to
think about shielding from air currents and all sorts of mechanical
details if you want to go more precise than 10mg.

I know you can buy commercial strain gauge to ASCII over USB devices
but they aren't exactly cheap (~£250+).

Cheers, T i m

Decide what resolution and accuracy you need first and work from there.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/08/2019 14:50, T i m wrote:
Peeps,

I would like to read the output of a strain gauge (measuring weight
(0-5kg) in this instance) from a PC as part of a general experiment
but not sure what bit does (and maybe limits), what.

So, strain gauge (or gauges) connects to a SG amp and that turns the
output into volts?

Then you could read said volts with say an Arduino and then have a USB
interface to PC, effectively streaming the output of the strain gauge
in ASCII (numbers) to the PC (and the rest is software etc) .

Yup, or use a Arduino with Wifi and you can make it available on TCP/IP
or even a simple embedded web sever.

However, I understand the Arduino's only have a 10(12 with a tweak)
bit ADC and so with 10 bits I'm only going to get 1024 output values?

Sounds like it.

However, there are other options...

You could use an external ADC with more resolution and talk to it on the
I2C bus - trivial to do on an Arduino.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1083

Or I suppose you could use scaling and DC offsets (with some clipping to
protect the ADC) to feed a couple of ADC channels so you can read coarse
and fine readings and combine them in software.

eg, If that was a 1kg 'scale' then I could read around 1g increments
but if it was a 5kg scale then ~5g would be the smallest increment
(that may be fine but I am just testing my understanding here).

Or is the output of the little eBay strain gauge amps already serial
so if it was a 24 bit device (16777216)

That gets me a brake hose!

it would be resolving down to
~1/3000 of a g (mathematically at least) and so would just use the
Arduino to turn it into ASCII over a USB interface (no ADC needed)?

I know you can buy commercial strain gauge to ASCII over USB devices
but they aren't exactly cheap (~£250+).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 16:09:23 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

snip

However, I understand the Arduino's only have a 10(12 with a tweak)
bit ADC and so with 10 bits I'm only going to get 1024 output values?

eg, If that was a 1kg 'scale' then I could read around 1g increments
but if it was a 5kg scale then ~5g would be the smallest increment
(that may be fine but I am just testing my understanding here).

Yes. You should be able to get 12bit or 16bit ADCs relatively cheaply
provided that you don't want fast ones and can live with a bit of
non-linearity.

I don't need fast but not sure about linearity (how much to expect).

I you want strict linear then you will have to calibrate
it against a reliable voltage reference source.

Understood.

Or is the output of the little eBay strain gauge amps already serial
so if it was a 24 bit device (16777216) it would be resolving down to
~1/3000 of a g (mathematically at least) and so would just use the
Arduino to turn it into ASCII over a USB interface (no ADC needed)?

I'd expect a simple strain gauge to output either a resistance value,

That seems to be the way most I look at are.

voltage or current depending on its internal design.

Ok.

Yo will have to
think about shielding from air currents and all sorts of mechanical
details if you want to go more precise than 10mg.

1g will be more than enough. ;-)

I know you can buy commercial strain gauge to ASCII over USB devices
but they aren't exactly cheap (~£250+).

Decide what resolution and accuracy you need first and work from there.

Well, the thing is (for this experiment), as long as I know I can get
(commercially) the right stuff, then that's covered. For my
experiments I was interested to see how close to that I could using
d-i-y level money / kit.

The 'Arduino level' strain gauge amps I've seen on eBay are supposed
to be 24bit and if true and assuming I can make use of that level via
something that would easily turn that into a stream of ASCII data on a
PC USB port ... then I'll probably be happy. ;-)

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials...n-gauge-basics

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials...ith-load-cells

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13879#

It looks like that one uses the I2C interface so if it's really 24bit
internally then I should still get that resolution though the Arduino
(as it's not using it's 10bit ADC's)?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 17:00:22 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:
snip

Then you could read said volts with say an Arduino and then have a USB
interface to PC, effectively streaming the output of the strain gauge
in ASCII (numbers) to the PC (and the rest is software etc) .

Yup, or use a Arduino with Wifi and you can make it available on TCP/IP
or even a simple embedded web sever.

Sure, not what I want to do this time. ;-)

However, I understand the Arduino's only have a 10(12 with a tweak)
bit ADC and so with 10 bits I'm only going to get 1024 output values?

Sounds like it.

However, there are other options...

You could use an external ADC with more resolution and talk to it on the
I2C bus - trivial to do on an Arduino.

(don't, you sound like Rod!). ;-(

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1083

Cool. I have seen then at 24bit (FWIW etc) and have since seen the
mention of I2C, so that explains a lot. ;-)

Or I suppose you could use scaling and DC offsets (with some clipping to
protect the ADC) to feed a couple of ADC channels so you can read coarse
and fine readings and combine them in software.

Yeah, I think that's how it's done in some commercial 'Dual range'
scales.

eg, If that was a 1kg 'scale' then I could read around 1g increments
but if it was a 5kg scale then ~5g would be the smallest increment
(that may be fine but I am just testing my understanding here).

Or is the output of the little eBay strain gauge amps already serial
so if it was a 24 bit device (16777216)

That gets me a brake hose!

24 bits to decimal resolution. Try 352734178458 or 161780625450 ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/08/2019 14:50, T i m wrote:

Or is the output of the little eBay strain gauge amps already serial
so if it was a 24 bit device (16777216) it would be resolving down to
~1/3000 of a g (mathematically at least) and so would just use the
Arduino to turn it into ASCII over a USB interface (no ADC needed)?

If you find the data sheet for the device you may find that the lower
bits are effectively noise and you need to be averaging multiple readings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote

I would like to read the output of a strain gauge (measuring
weight (0-5kg) in this instance) from a PC as part of a general
experiment but not sure what bit does (and maybe limits), what.

So, strain gauge (or gauges) connects to a SG
amp and that turns the output into volts?

The SG varys the resistance with weight.

Then you could read said volts with say an Arduino and then have
a USB interface to PC, effectively streaming the output of the strain
gauge in ASCII (numbers) to the PC (and the rest is software etc) .

The other approach is to use the resistance to vary an
oscillator and use a counter to measure the frequency.

However, I understand the Arduino's only have a 10(12 with a tweak)
bit ADC and so with 10 bits I'm only going to get 1024 output values?

The counter approach fixes that and is very easy to interface.

eg, If that was a 1kg 'scale' then I could read around 1g increments
but if it was a 5kg scale then ~5g would be the smallest increment
(that may be fine but I am just testing my understanding here).

That's basically correct.

Or is the output of the little eBay strain gauge amps already serial
so if it was a 24 bit device (16777216) it would be resolving down to
~1/3000 of a g (mathematically at least) and so would just use the
Arduino to turn it into ASCII over a USB interface (no ADC needed)?

I know you can buy commercial strain gauge to ASCII
over USB devices but they aren't exactly cheap (~£250+).

Quite a few digital scales that report the weight using bluetooth
but they are mostly bathroom scales, not kitchen scales. And even
with a 5KG kitchen scale they don't usually report continuously.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 04:06 am in Australia ...and the Senile Troll has been out of Bed and Trolling for almost an Hour ALREADY! LMAO

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 04:06:39 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

04:36??? And you've been out of bed and trolling for almost an hour already?
Do you know NO shame AT ALL, you obnoxious senile troll from Australia?

--
Keema Nam addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You are now exposed as a liar, as well as an ignorant troll."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Aug 2019 17:55:36 +0100, T i m wrote:

24 bits to decimal resolution. Try 352734178458 or 161780625450 ;-)

Nah, that's an Amazon order number! :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
It looks like that one uses the I2C interface so if it's really 24bit
internally then I should still get that resolution though the Arduino
(as it's not using it's 10bit ADC's)?

As usual, there's chips for it:
https://cdn.sparkfun.com/datasheets/...11_english.pdf
https://www.ti.com/product/ADS1232

The main thing here is the data rate is very very low - it's not like you're
trying to capture video at 24 bits here. So the ADC can do lots of
filtering and averaging to get the accuracy up and ignore noise.

Since it's an external ADC, you aren't limited by the internal ADC in
the Arduino's Atmel CPU.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

That gets me a brake hose!

24 bits to decimal resolution. Try 352734178458 or 161780625450 ;-)

Or if not in a hurry:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32895565811.html

or quicker:

https://www.banggood.com/CJMCU-1232-...N# customerQA

Also

https://www.banggood.com/I2C-ADS1115...r_warehouse=UK

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08 Aug 2019 22:43:57 +0100 (BST), Theo
wrote:

T i m wrote:
It looks like that one uses the I2C interface so if it's really 24bit
internally then I should still get that resolution though the Arduino
(as it's not using it's 10bit ADC's)?

As usual, there's chips for it:
https://cdn.sparkfun.com/datasheets/...11_english.pdf
https://www.ti.com/product/ADS1232

The main thing here is the data rate is very very low - it's not like you're
trying to capture video at 24 bits here.

Quite.

So the ADC can do lots of
filtering and averaging to get the accuracy up and ignore noise.

Excellent.

Since it's an external ADC, you aren't limited by the internal ADC in
the Arduino's Atmel CPU.

.... because they (can) 'talk' over I2C, I've since learned. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

That gets me a brake hose!

24 bits to decimal resolution. Try 352734178458 or 161780625450 ;-)

Or if not in a hurry:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32895565811.html

or quicker:

https://www.banggood.com/CJMCU-1232-...N# customerQA

Also

https://www.banggood.com/I2C-ADS1115...r_warehouse=UK

Thanks for those John.

I actually have a scale with a 9PDM that goes straight to the strain
gauge and a few Arduinos so will probably order something from the UK
so I can get on and play (as it won't be 'expensive' in any case,
especially when compared with the commercial solutions).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 18:17:05 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 08/08/2019 14:50, T i m wrote:

Or is the output of the little eBay strain gauge amps already serial
so if it was a 24 bit device (16777216) it would be resolving down to
~1/3000 of a g (mathematically at least) and so would just use the
Arduino to turn it into ASCII over a USB interface (no ADC needed)?

If you find the data sheet for the device you may find that the lower
bits are effectively noise and you need to be averaging multiple readings.

Agreed.

I think there can be some of that already going on in the chips plus
we can also do it in software.

Take several readings. Are they all within a reasonable percentage of
each other, if yes, assume that reading etc. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 15:45:29 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Or buy a cheap set of electronic bathroom scales and hack it.
Brian

Bathroom scales only read to within 1lb, so 8 bits would allow a
maximum weight of 18st.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

T i m wrote:
It looks like that one uses the I2C interface so if it's really 24bit
internally then I should still get that resolution though the Arduino
(as it's not using it's 10bit ADC's)?

As usual, there's chips for it:
https://cdn.sparkfun.com/datasheets/...11_english.pdf
https://www.ti.com/product/ADS1232

The main thing here is the data rate is very very low - it's not like you're
trying to capture video at 24 bits here.

Quite.

So the ADC can do lots of
filtering and averaging to get the accuracy up and ignore noise.

Excellent.

Since it's an external ADC, you aren't limited by the internal ADC in
the Arduino's Atmel CPU.

... because they (can) 'talk' over I2C, I've since learned. ;-)

Loads of examples in Eli's tutorials, e.g:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHio...1RpUh&index=11

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Or buy a cheap set of electronic bathroom scales and hack it.
Brian

Bathroom scales only read to within 1lb, so 8 bits would allow a
maximum weight of 18st.

Mine has steps of 0.05kg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 10:26:00 +1000, jleikppkywk, better known as cantankerous

Bathroom scales only read to within 1lb, so 8 bits would allow a
maximum weight of 18st.

Mine has steps of 0.05kg

LOL How could it be different, senile asshole!

cretin from Oz:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 August 2019 19:57:16 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 08 Aug 2019 17:55:36 +0100, T i m wrote:

24 bits to decimal resolution. Try 352734178458 or 161780625450 ;-)

Nah, that's an Amazon order number! :-)

I thought it was the percentage of people that voted remain[1] in the referedium ;-)

[1] according to T i m calcualtion of "the will of the people".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

That gets me a brake hose!

24 bits to decimal resolution. Try 352734178458 or 161780625450 ;-)

Or if not in a hurry:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32895565811.html

or quicker:

https://www.banggood.com/CJMCU-1232-...N# customerQA

Also

https://www.banggood.com/I2C-ADS1115...r_warehouse=UK

--
Cheers,

John.

beware of banggood and of course other suplliers for cheap fake products
One of our students had problems.
We have had good products from them and it might not be their fault.

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=274359.0

It's a pity I can't always blame the students as that is far more fun.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 01:25:09 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

Since it's an external ADC, you aren't limited by the internal ADC in
the Arduino's Atmel CPU.

... because they (can) 'talk' over I2C, I've since learned. ;-)

Loads of examples in Eli's tutorials, e.g:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHio...1RpUh&index=11

Yeah, I've used I2C quite a few times already and it makes attaching
an LCD display pretty easy, via an I2C interface module.

Also used it for (multiple) digital temperature sensors and have a
little routine in my library for scanning the I2C bus and revealing
device ID's.

My main reason for asking the question was in case anyone here had
practical experience of such things and could help me shortcut the
initial research bit to some degree. Better chance of something that
works reasonably well OOTB, rather than going though several 'who sold
you that then' stages. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Or buy a cheap set of electronic bathroom scales and hack it.
Brian

Bathroom scales only read to within 1lb, so 8 bits would allow a
maximum weight of 18st.

Mine has steps of 0.05kg

It doesn't matter how low the resolution step if the accuracy of
measurement doesn't match. With bathroom scales it often depends on
where you place the scales. Placed on a hard surface is very likely to
give a more accurate result than placing them on a carpet.

I doubt if something such a cheap strain gauge claiming 24 bit
resolution is any better than 12 bits accurate, and when kept at a
constant temperature.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

That gets me a brake hose!

24 bits to decimal resolution. Try 352734178458 or 161780625450 ;-)

Or if not in a hurry:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32895565811.html

or quicker:

https://www.banggood.com/CJMCU-1232-...N# customerQA

Also

https://www.banggood.com/I2C-ADS1115...r_warehouse=UK

--
Cheers,

John.

beware of banggood and of course other suplliers for cheap fake products
One of our students had problems.

When the thing you are buying is a cheap Chinese thing from China, it
seems there would only be very limited scope for selling a fake at a
profit.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

That gets me a brake hose!

24 bits to decimal resolution. Try 352734178458 or 161780625450 ;-)

Or if not in a hurry:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32895565811.html

or quicker:

https://www.banggood.com/CJMCU-1232-...N# customerQA

Also

https://www.banggood.com/I2C-ADS1115...r_warehouse=UK

--
Cheers,

John.

beware of banggood and of course other suplliers for cheap fake products
One of our students had problems.

When the thing you are buying is a cheap Chinese thing from China, it
seems there would only be very limited scope for selling a fake at a
profit.

That;s the key, you charge a similar price to a pucca version.

If yuo make something 25% cheaper people will think they are gettign a good deal and if yuo read carefully it isn't a fake as such.

Dod yuo watch fake or fortune last night, you could learn from that.
And and the SD cards a few years ago sold on ebay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

how to weigh in grams or less using arduino.

https://youtu.be/iywsJB-T-mU
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 20:03:11 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

how to weigh in grams or less using arduino.

https://youtu.be/iywsJB-T-mU

Or ESP32 ... and thanks, that could be handy. ;-)

I've actually got a couple of those and have used them successfully
but think an Arduino Nano would be better in this case (and probably
wouldn't have to slow it down).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 9 August 2019 20:03:15 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
how to weigh in grams or less using arduino.

https://youtu.be/iywsJB-T-mU

Could be useful, but my cat tells me when her food bowl is empty.
She also tells me when the food is no longer to her liking such as it's a bit old or dry, or when she wants her bisciuts or she wants her treat bisciuts.