Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Question about wiring a 9 pin input for a computer sub (serialport??)

So I got this small computer sub-woofer. It's an Altec Lansing BX1121
or something like that. It has a 9 pin input that it receives sound
from the right speaker with. I have a set of small computer speakers
(also A.L.) and was wondering if there was a way to solder the wires
from one of the speakers (or an 1/8" cable) to the input of the
sub... I opened the sub up to see if the +/- were in any way obvious,
which of course they weren't. The crossover / power supply is a small
pc board with the 9 pinner just kind of gunked on there. I would have
to solder directly to the board.
Is this 9 pin input called a 'serial port'? I'm not very smart about
computers, but I'm a soldering champ and pretty keen on modifying
stuff...
Any advice on how to make this work??
-Ian
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
MC MC is offline

Is this 9 pin input called a 'serial port'? I'm not very smart about

computers, but I'm a soldering champ and pretty keen on modifying
stuff...

Speakers do not connect to serial ports.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I don't beleive it is. I just think the design needed a neat connector to
carry a number of wires and the 9 Way D was a cheap and simple solution.

I imagine that the audio output from the PC (or other music device) and the
power goes into the sub. It contains the PSU, crossover, amp etc and feeds
the two two speakers via the 9 Way D.

So it probably only uses 4 pins (signal and ground for each speaker).

My guess is that they use a 9 Way because there is another model that has
rear speakers aswell (8 pins needed).

What I don't understand is what the OP is trying to do. Is he trying to
replace the speakers or add additional ones?

Cheers,

Nigel

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 24, 1:21 am, "Nigel Heather" nigel@NO_SPAMthe-
heathers.co.uk wrote:
I don't beleive it is. I just think the design needed a neat connector to
carry a number of wires and the 9 Way D was a cheap and simple solution.

I imagine that the audio output from the PC (or other music device) and the
power goes into the sub. It contains the PSU, crossover, amp etc and feeds
the two two speakers via the 9 Way D.

So it probably only uses 4 pins (signal and ground for each speaker).

My guess is that they use a 9 Way because there is another model that has
rear speakers aswell (8 pins needed).

What I don't understand is what the OP is trying to do. Is he trying to
replace the speakers or add additional ones?

Cheers,

Nigel

Hey man,
Sorry about the confusion. It's a mini DIN. Not a serial at all...
The Sub has it's own power cable and I'm assuming it takes a mono
signal, right? It only has one speaker. Basically, I have a set of
computer speakers with no sub send, I would like to send 2 wires with
the mono hot/ground into the sub to make it work without getting
speakers with the connector. I can't imagine it wouldn't work.
Basically it would be nice to know which pins on the female mini DIN
are the right ones for input. Either that or I'll just have to trial
and error it... For some reason there are no schematics online for
this sub.