Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Junior hacksaw blades

Is there more than one standard (dimension wise) for junior hacksaw blades?

I have 5 off junior hacksaws from different manufactures. They are not
the bent metal type but a tiny bit more up-market (but of no-name
branding) where the blade is tensioned with a screw.

I have purchased some Eclipse blades and have found that they only fit
into two of the frames I have. All frames take the same length of blade
but the difference is in the position or the diameter of the "pips" at
the end of the blades. In two cases the pip on the Eclipse bales are
too wide and will not fit into the pip slots in the frame. In the other
case where the blade doesn't fit the pip is positioned too far from the
end and the retaining slot in the frame isn't long enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its not just the Junior ones either. The normal ones with the pips on the
handle and holes in the blades seem to have several standards as well.

I have not had any issue getting the right ones, I just need to give the
frame to whoever is buying them.
I did get some Stanley ones a while back, which were crap, the teeth kind
of shredded off. Made in Poland it said apparently, but I suspect fakes from
China using cheap and cheerful manufacturing techniques.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"alan_m" wrote in message
Is there more than one standard (dimension wise) for junior hacksaw
blades?

I have 5 off junior hacksaws from different manufactures. They are not the
bent metal type but a tiny bit more up-market (but of no-name branding)
where the blade is tensioned with a screw.

I have purchased some Eclipse blades and have found that they only fit
into two of the frames I have. All frames take the same length of blade
but the difference is in the position or the diameter of the "pips" at the
end of the blades. In two cases the pip on the Eclipse bales are too wide
and will not fit into the pip slots in the frame. In the other case where
the blade doesn't fit the pip is positioned too far from the end and the
retaining slot in the frame isn't long enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 08:25:57 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Its not just the Junior ones either. The normal ones with the pips on the
handle and holes in the blades seem to have several standards as well.

I have not had any issue getting the right ones, I just need to give the
frame to whoever is buying them.
I did get some Stanley ones a while back, which were crap, the teeth kind
of shredded off. Made in Poland it said apparently, but I suspect fakes from
China using cheap and cheerful manufacturing techniques.
Brian

I made the mistake of getting some blades from the local post office (I
know...!). Used one on mild steel, satisfying production of filings BUT the
blade was smooth and the mild steel was, er, mildly annoyed.
Eclipse blades are OK. All my frames are the cheap 'n' cheerful ones - I've
always avoided the screw-type as they can be too bulky.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2019 22:39, alan_m wrote:
Is there more than one standard (dimension wise) for junior hacksaw blades?

I have 5 off junior hacksaws from different manufactures. They are not
the bent metal type but a tiny bit more up-market (but of no-name
branding) where the blade is tensioned with a screw.

I have purchased some Eclipse blades and have found that they only fit
into two of the frames I have.Â* All frames take the same length of blade
but the difference is in the position or the diameter of the "pips" at
the end of the blades.Â* In two cases the pip on the Eclipse bales are
too wide and will not fit into the pip slots in the frame. In the other
case where the blade doesn't fit the pip is positioned too far from the
end and the retaining slot in the frame isn't long enough.

Having recently retied from an importing company where part of my role
was visiting Chinese factories I can assure you that no standards are
adhered to out there. Many swag importers just shop for the cheapest to
offer the most in a pack without any consideration for quality whatever
the product.

Two years ago the Chinese government forcibly closed down many high
polluting factories, which of course we should encourage. However the
result has been an increase in prices by those that remain resulting in
further down spirals of quality to feed the £ shop discounters demand.

Chinese industrial towns are horrid places, don't go there!

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/07/2019 10:15, Muddymike wrote:
On 18/07/2019 22:39, alan_m wrote:

Chinese industrial towns are horrid places, don't go there!

Mike

So were British ones, well into the last century.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 10:15:39 +0100
Muddymike wrote:

Chinese industrial towns are horrid places, don't go there!

Mike

Too late, I was near Shanghai at a new steel mill in the mid 1990s.
The colour of the atmosphere was linked to the day of the week. I
once saw a two-axle truck with about 150 tons of steel roll on the back,
and it still drove! How far it went down the road, I have no idea, but
I had visions of it sitting there looking as though it was having a
****, after the axle broke in two.
Then there was the goods bicycle with a load of pre-plucked chickens,
etc etc.

Shudder.

Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:

Chinese industrial towns are horrid places, don't go there!

Mike

Too late, I was near Shanghai at a new steel mill in the mid 1990s.
The colour of the atmosphere was linked to the day of the week. I
once saw a two-axle truck with about 150 tons of steel roll on the back,
and it still drove! How far it went down the road, I have no idea, but
I had visions of it sitting there looking as though it was having a
****, after the axle broke in two.
Then there was the goods bicycle with a load of pre-plucked chickens,
etc etc.

I've been out to Shenzhen a few times recently.

It's not too bad, considering it's a damn great new town with the people
packed in like sardines. But I'm really thankful I don't have to live in
a place like that (or London for that matter - though at least that has
some history)

Andy