Posted to uk.d-i-y
MuddyMike MuddyMike is offline

Default Junior hacksaw blades

On 18/07/2019 22:39, alan_m wrote:
Is there more than one standard (dimension wise) for junior hacksaw blades?

I have 5 off junior hacksaws from different manufactures. They are not
the bent metal type but a tiny bit more up-market (but of no-name
branding) where the blade is tensioned with a screw.

I have purchased some Eclipse blades and have found that they only fit
into two of the frames I have.Â* All frames take the same length of blade
but the difference is in the position or the diameter of the "pips" at
the end of the blades.Â* In two cases the pip on the Eclipse bales are
too wide and will not fit into the pip slots in the frame. In the other
case where the blade doesn't fit the pip is positioned too far from the
end and the retaining slot in the frame isn't long enough.

Having recently retied from an importing company where part of my role
was visiting Chinese factories I can assure you that no standards are
adhered to out there. Many swag importers just shop for the cheapest to
offer the most in a pack without any consideration for quality whatever
the product.

Two years ago the Chinese government forcibly closed down many high
polluting factories, which of course we should encourage. However the
result has been an increase in prices by those that remain resulting in
further down spirals of quality to feed the £ shop discounters demand.

Chinese industrial towns are horrid places, don't go there!

Mike