Ronnie Lyons, Meridian, Idaho

Default GOOD hacksaw blades, not Home Depot stuff

What am I looking for in a GOOD quality hacksaw blade, and where can I get them?
Ronnie
Jim Kovar

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:24:14 -0700, Ronnie Lyons, Meridian, Idaho wrote:

What am I looking for in a GOOD quality hacksaw blade, and where can I get
them? Ronnie

I've had good luck with Lenox blades. Just pick the teeth per inch
for what you are cutting.

Jim Kovar
Vulcan, Mi

Robin S.

"Ronnie Lyons, Meridian, Idaho" wrote in message
m...
What am I looking for in a GOOD quality hacksaw blade, and where can I get

them?
Ronnie

Starrett blades are quite nice. I use 18TPI for virtually everything except
sheet metal where there would be less than two teeth in contact with the
work at once.

Remember to go slow. Roughly one stroke/second. And use the entire length of
the blade if possible.

Regards,

Robin

AL

I've been happy with Buck from Home Depot. I've used Lenox from J&L and
think it is slightly better, but it requires a trip out of my way.

If you have a normal hacksaw frame, get high speed steel blades.

If you have a modern high tension hacksaw frame, then get bimetal blades.

Any brand of bimetal blade is better than any brand of high speed steel
blade, which in turn is better than any brand of carbon steel blade.

But putting a bimetal blade into a regular hacksaw frame (which can't apply
enough tension), you won't get very good results.

"Ronnie Lyons, Meridian, Idaho" wrote in message
m...
What am I looking for in a GOOD quality hacksaw blade, and where can I get

them?
Ronnie

Robin S.

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message

Which Starretts? The last blades I bought were Starrett
Green Stripe bi-metal. Not the worst blades, but far from
the best. The best I've used, which apparently aren't made
anymore, were Milford Flexible Rezistors. Lenox stuff is
always pretty good, I'll have to try them next.

I use (and sell) the blue strip ones.

I just looked on www.starrett.com. The green stripe ones are specifically
made to be flexible. They are bimetal but made to be bent for use in tight
spaces.

The blue stripe ones are standard bimetal. They will bend, but they're made
to be fairly firm.

The red stripe ones are entirely HSS. Probably worth a small fortune (as far
as hacksaw blades go). Obviously they aren't exactly forgiving as far as
interrupted cuts and unsteady hands.

It pays to have the right tools ;-)

Regards,

Robin

Robin S.

"AL" wrote in message
I've been happy with Buck from Home Depot. I've used Lenox from J&L and
think it is slightly better, but it requires a trip out of my way.

If you have a normal hacksaw frame, get high speed steel blades.

If you have a modern high tension hacksaw frame, then get bimetal blades.

Any brand of bimetal blade is better than any brand of high speed steel
blade, which in turn is better than any brand of carbon steel blade.

I'm not sure that I would say that a HSS blade is worse than a bimetal
blade. (I'm sure carbon steel is all but useless due to bimetal).

HSS blades don't take flex very well. Bimetal tend to flex which sucks if
you want a really straight cut. Different tools for different jobs.

Regards,

Robin

jim rozen

In article , Robin S. says...

The red stripe ones are entirely HSS. Probably worth a small fortune (as far
as hacksaw blades go). Obviously they aren't exactly forgiving as far as
interrupted cuts and unsteady hands.

Ooh. That's what they have here at the stockroom at work.

Jim

please reply to:
alderotes

"Robin S." wrote in message news:W0NUc.23032$ Starrett blades are quite nice. I use 18TPI for virtually everything except
sheet metal where there would be less than two teeth in contact with the
work at once.

Remember to go slow. Roughly one stroke/second. And use the entire length of
the blade if possible.

I have 5 hacksaws with a different blade on each one. 14, 18, 24, 32
and abrasive wire. It's amazing how much more efficient the right
blade is when you match it to the work. Good frames pop up on eBay
from time to time for almost nothing.

George

philski

Ronnie Lyons, Meridian, Idaho wrote:
What am I looking for in a GOOD quality hacksaw blade, and where can I get them?
Ronnie

Ronnie,
I too live in Meridian. I get Starrett hack saw blades at Grainger's in
Boise. You might also want to check Western Tool on Five Mile as well as
Idaho Tool in Nampa.

Philski
Doug White

"AL" wrote in message
I've been happy with Buck from Home Depot. I've used Lenox from J&L and
think it is slightly better, but it requires a trip out of my way.

If you have a normal hacksaw frame, get high speed steel blades.

If you have a modern high tension hacksaw frame, then get bimetal blades.

Any brand of bimetal blade is better than any brand of high speed steel
blade, which in turn is better than any brand of carbon steel blade.

I'm not sure that I would say that a HSS blade is worse than a bimetal
blade. (I'm sure carbon steel is all but useless due to bimetal).

HSS blades don't take flex very well. Bimetal tend to flex which sucks if
you want a really straight cut. Different tools for different jobs.

I had to cut through a piece of tungsten many years ago (~1/2" x 1"). I
wore out several miscellaneous hardware store blades gettting about
half-way through. I went home on vacation & tried my father's hacksaw &
went right through it. No idea what the blade was, but he'd had them
since the early 50's. My guess is HSS. They didn't say "unbreakable" on
them. Whatever they were, they were a heck of a lot harder than the
stuff I could get in a mid-70's hardware store.

Doug White

philski wrote in message ...
Ronnie Lyons, Meridian, Idaho wrote:
What am I looking for in a GOOD quality hacksaw blade, and where can I get them?
Ronnie

Ronnie,
I too live in Meridian. I get Starrett hack saw blades at Grainger's in
Boise. You might also want to check Western Tool on Five Mile as well as
Idaho Tool in Nampa.

Philski

Will do, I didn't know Graingers would sell retail?
Ronnie
Steve Smith

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the local Graingers (Maine)
will sell to the public on a credit card. Not the case in Colorado.

Steve

Gary Coffman wrote:

On 24 Aug 2004 10:10:21 -0700, (Ronnie Lyons, Meridian, Idaho) wrote:

I didn't know Graingers would sell retail?

They'll sell retail, just not to the public. If you have a business name and
a tax number, then they'll sell to you. If you don't, they'll show you the door.
At least they'll be polite about it, unlike Graybar (miserable SOBs).

Gary