Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting steel with angle grinder.

What is the best blade to cut steel with a small maybe 4.5" angle grinder.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare Wrote in message:
What is the best blade to cut steel with a small maybe 4.5" angle grinder.

1mm slitting disc.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 16:02, Jim K.. wrote:
Michael Chare Wrote in message:
What is the best blade to cut steel with a small maybe 4.5" angle grinder.

1mm slitting disc.

Agreed.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 20:03, Bill Wright wrote:
On 03/07/2019 16:02, Jim K.. wrote:
Michael Chare Wrote in message:
What is the best blade to cut steel with a small maybe 4.5" angle
grinder.

1mm slitting disc.

Agreed.

Bill

+1, especially if you are just cutting clamped lengths transversely.

But if you are *cutting up* a structure you might be better off with
thicker blades that will tolerate a bit more side load. Also remember
that the structure may have internal stresses, so that a cut may start
to spring closed as you get near the end. In such cases you may actually
be better off using thick, dished grinding disks. A "grabbed" disk will
transfer a lot of force to the body of the grinder, or may cause a
smaller object to flail around. The secret is to cut through the last
bit *very* carefully, and more by grinding it away from the side rather
than just trying to go through it like a guillotine.

I once had to get a very large pipe hanger destructively dismantled, but
with some care so that I could get at the internal bearings. This
weighed at least a quarter of a ton, had built in loads of around 20
tons, and a compressed coil spring about two feet long, made out of 1
inch bar. A guy from the heavy mob took it apart with a gas axe and I
was quite worried about exciting things happening, but he knew exactly
what he was doing. He took several inches of the coil up to red heat,
and it just relaxed gently until all the strain was released.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 21:34:38 +0100, newshound
wrote:

A "grabbed" disk will
transfer a lot of force to the body of the grinder, or may cause a
smaller object to flail around.

Those 1 mm discs are great. Cheap, little load on the grinder, not a lot of
material lost, not a lot of heat in the material.

Yet: all discs, particularly then 1.0mm, will shatter at times; there's a use
before date stamp on them as they expire...

So: Use a guard, think where bits might fly, think where sparks may fly (they
burn themselves into glass and tile permanently, for instance).

And *please* *wear* *eye* *protection*. A neighbor didn't, and he told me of a
chip lodged in his eyeball, how it rusted, and the medical procedure to remove
it -- used a dental drill on his eyeball.

I keep goggles in the angle grinder box now so they are handy for even the
quickest of cuts...

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 3 July 2019 15:37:51 UTC+1, Michael Chare wrote:
What is the best blade to cut steel with a small maybe 4.5" angle grinder.

Aldi diamond blades have proven excellant on steel

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A "grabbed" disk will
transfer a lot of force to the body of the grinder, or may cause a
smaller object to flail around.

Those 1 mm discs are great. Cheap, little load on the grinder, not a lot of
material lost, not a lot of heat in the material.

Yet: all discs, particularly then 1.0mm, will shatter at times; there's a use
before date stamp on them as they expire...

So: Use a guard, think where bits might fly, think where sparks may fly (they
burn themselves into glass and tile permanently, for instance).

And *please* *wear* *eye* *protection*. A neighbor didn't, and he told me of a
chip lodged in his eyeball, how it rusted, and the medical procedure to remove
it -- used a dental drill on his eyeball.

I keep goggles in the angle grinder box now so they are handy for even the
quickest of cuts...

Thank you for the warning. I wanted to modify my old double oven so that
it would fit in my car. I used a hack saw, but did wonder about my angle
grinder. The diamond disc I use for plaster and cement/concrete has
proved very useful though it can create a lot of dust. So I was
wondering what would be suitable for steel. It had not occured to me
that the discs would have expiry dates.

Thanks for all the replies.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

grinder.Â* The diamond disc I use for plaster and cement/concrete has
proved very useful though it can create a lot of dust. So I was
wondering what would be suitable for steel. It had not occured to me
that the discs would have expiry dates.

"Grinding Wheel ! ! ! ! " was always a warning shouted in a machine
shop when a grinding wheel (which rotates at every high speed) broke
loose from its spindle and rolled menacingly down the shop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/07/2019 13:02, Michael Chare wrote:

Thank you for the warning. I wanted to modify my old double oven so that
it would fit in my car.

An intriguing idea ;-)

I assume the idea is to use it on LPG. Without wishing to teach you to
suck eggs etc, I assume you know the orifices will need changing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/07/2019 13:36, Brian Reay wrote:
On 04/07/2019 13:02, Michael Chare wrote:

Thank you for the warning. I wanted to modify my old double oven so
that it would fit in my car.

An intriguing idea ;-)

I assume the idea is to use it on LPG. Without wishing to teach you to
suck eggs etc, I assume you know the orifices will need changing.

The old oven had strange orifices. From the back of each of the ovens
there was about a half inch diameter pipe going up to the area of the
cooling fan on the top.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/07/2019 13:53, Michael Chare wrote:
On 04/07/2019 13:36, Brian Reay wrote:
On 04/07/2019 13:02, Michael Chare wrote:

Thank you for the warning. I wanted to modify my old double oven so
that it would fit in my car.

An intriguing idea ;-)

I assume the idea is to use it on LPG. Without wishing to teach you to
suck eggs etc, I assume you know the orifices will need changing.

The old oven had strange orifices.Â* From the back of each of the ovens
there was about a half inch diameter pipe going up to the area of the
cooling fan on the top.

Ah, not those.

The ones which limit the gas to the burners. They are different sizes
for Natural Gas (as used in houses etc), LPG etc. Sometimes you can buy
suitable ones and just unscrew the old ones and swap. Other times you
need to either drill out the holes or plug the old hole and drill a
smaller one (depending on the directing of the conversion LPG-NG)
FROM MEMORY you need smaller holes for LPG but I'm not 100% sure. The
holes are tiny.

Don't forget a CO detector.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I use a full face mask, googles don't really fit over specs.
A full face mask is better protection too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/07/2019 15:32, Brian Reay wrote:
[...]

smaller one (depending on the directing of the conversionÂ* LPG-NG)
FROM MEMORY you need smaller holes for LPG but I'm not 100% sure. The
holes are tiny.

Don't forget a CO detector.

Ah, it was an electric double oven!

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/07/2019 17:03, Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

a smaller one (depending on the directing of the conversionÂ* LPG-NG)
FROM MEMORY you need smaller holes for LPG but I'm not 100% sure. The
holes are tiny.

Don't forget a CO detector.

Ah, it was an electric double oven!

Powering will be fun ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

yet another advantage of diamond discs, they don't expire due to time & dampness.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I bought a Norton Expert slitting disc from Toolstation. Now I have it I
see why it might shatter. No marked expiry date.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Jul 2019 09:06:49 +0200
Thomas Prufer wrote:

And *please* *wear* *eye* *protection*. A neighbor didn't, and he
told me of a chip lodged in his eyeball, how it rusted, and the
medical procedure to remove it -- used a dental drill on his
eyeball.

I had that from grinding in restricted space at an awkward angle - the
sparks got in through the mesh at the side of my goggles. My local A&E
at the time had an eye hospital attached, so they did it straight away.
It really isn't all that bad having your eye debrided (a lot less
irritating than having a bit of steel or abrasive embedded in your
cornea) but it's funny how everything appears to wobble around as the
burr chews up pieces of eyeball.