Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer Thomas Prufer is offline

Default Cutting steel with angle grinder.

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 21:34:38 +0100, newshound
wrote:

A "grabbed" disk will
transfer a lot of force to the body of the grinder, or may cause a
smaller object to flail around.

Those 1 mm discs are great. Cheap, little load on the grinder, not a lot of
material lost, not a lot of heat in the material.

Yet: all discs, particularly then 1.0mm, will shatter at times; there's a use
before date stamp on them as they expire...

So: Use a guard, think where bits might fly, think where sparks may fly (they
burn themselves into glass and tile permanently, for instance).

And *please* *wear* *eye* *protection*. A neighbor didn't, and he told me of a
chip lodged in his eyeball, how it rusted, and the medical procedure to remove
it -- used a dental drill on his eyeball.

I keep goggles in the angle grinder box now so they are handy for even the
quickest of cuts...

Thomas Prufer