Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing oil stains from tarmac

Hi All

We have a red tarmac drive and had an old car with an oil leak resulting is an oil stain on the drive (around 1m2)? What's the best way to remove the stain?

Thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I doubt if you can. I've heard of people using power washers and all sorts,
but I guess tarmack is maybe oil based and it actually gets into the
material.
I tell you what some dingbat around here had his drive green and its even
worse there, plus two tramlines where the tyres run.
Luckily I do not have such problems since with no sight it could be red
and green polks dots for all I care!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Lee Nowell" wrote in message
Hi All

We have a red tarmac drive and had an old car with an oil leak resulting
is an oil stain on the drive (around 1m2)? What's the best way to remove
the stain?

Thanks

Lee.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2019 11:21, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 01:30:39 -0700 (PDT), Lee Nowell
wrote:

Hi All

We have a red tarmac drive and had an old car with an oil leak resulting is an oil stain on the drive (around 1m2)? What's the best way to remove the stain?

Thanks

Lee.

Not easy. Spread oil over the rest of the drive? Or bitumen?

Not possible. The black colour comes from carbon particulate in the oil
which will just become absorbed in the tarmac. Not soluble in anything.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2019 09:30, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

We have a red tarmac drive and had an old car with an oil leak resulting is an oil stain on the drive (around 1m2)? What's the best way to remove the stain?

Remove the tarmac and resurface.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2019 09:30, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

We have a red tarmac drive and had an old car with an oil leak resulting is an oil stain on the drive (around 1m2)? What's the best way to remove the stain?

Thanks

Lee.

Time and weathering?

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2019 09:30, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

We have a red tarmac drive and had an old car with an oil leak resulting is an oil stain on the drive (around 1m2)? What's the best way to remove the stain?

Thanks

Lee.

You might fade it a bit with a strong detergent brushed in, but you'll
never shift it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2019 21:54, Steve Walker wrote:
On 22/06/2019 09:30, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

We have a red tarmac drive and had an old car with an oil leak
resulting is an oil stain on the drive (around 1m2)? What's the best
way to remove the stain?

Thanks

Lee.

Time and weathering?

SteveW

I've not tried this on tarmac but it works on red block paving and plain
concrete:

First soak in paraffin, work it in.

Before it dries, apply one of the water soluble degreasers. Gunk, Jizer
or the newer fancy ones. I had some pink poncy smelling stuff I bought
when I couldn't get Gunk, it was magic. Again work it in - I use one of
those brushes for pans etc. Then lots of hot water with a good dollop of
washing powder. Finally, hose it off.

Generally one treatment does it. If not, wait until dry, and repeat from
the degreaser stage.

I've only needed two goes once or twice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 01:30:39 -0700 (PDT), Lee Nowell wrote:

We have a red tarmac drive and had an old car with an oil leak resulting
is an oil stain on the drive (around 1m2)? What's the best way to remove the stain?

On concrete and oil spots (up to 6" across) I just liberally apply
washing up liquid work it in with a stiff brush and leave. The next
lot of rain washes it away, doesn't matter if it doesn't rain for a
day or three. In fact it's probably better if it can be left to
"work" for a day or so before it rains.

I'd be wary of degreasers on tarmac they may soften the bitumen...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2019 01:12, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On concrete and oil spots (up to 6" across) I just liberally apply
washing up liquid work it in with a stiff brush and leave. The next
lot of rain washes it away, doesn't matter if it doesn't rain for a
day or three. In fact it's probably better if it can be left to
"work" for a day or so before it rains.

+1 with oil on concrete - neat washing up liquid and not necessarily
brushed in and wait for the next rain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2019 21:54, Steve Walker wrote:
On 22/06/2019 09:30, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

We have a red tarmac drive and had an old car with an oil leak
resulting is an oil stain on the drive (around 1m2)? What's the best
way to remove the stain?

Thanks

Lee.

Time and weathering?

detergent and as pressure washer

= accelerated weathering

SteveW

--
€śProgress is precisely that which rules and regulations did not foresee,€ť

€“ Ludwig von Mises

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 08:48:08 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Time and weathering?

detergent and as pressure washer

= accelerated weathering

Trouble with the pressure washer is that it cleans too well and you
have PW the whole area or have clean patch instead of a oily one...

People seem to want single hit instant fixes these days. Yes, you can
spend half a day or longer with various detergents and solvents but
it's lot of effort compared to 15 mins working in some washing up
liquid and leaving it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2019 18:13, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 08:48:08 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Time and weathering?

detergent and as pressure washer

= accelerated weathering

Trouble with the pressure washer is that it cleans too well and you
have PW the whole area or have clean patch instead of a oily one...

People seem to want single hit instant fixes these days.

Oh yes!

Yes, you can
spend half a day or longer with various detergents and solvents but
it's lot of effort compared to 15 mins working in some washing up
liquid and leaving it.

Or conversely they want to kill the weeds in their gravel drive, when
the real answer is to dig it all up, sieve the gravel to remove the
soil, and put it all back again...:-)
I am coming round to te two or three principles of DIY
GAMI - get a man in
TMAI - Throw money at it, hire a digger remove the gravel pay to have it
taken away get another 20 tonnes, hire a digger again and re lay it..
BHW - Bloody Hard Work - just kuckle down and do it by hand.

I dug a hole for some huge gateposts. I used a trowel; below 2 ft and
in the end a bent sppon below three. Took a whole afternoon to dig the
two holes. They are, 10 years, later rock solid

Mark Twain