Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing oil stains from bluestone?

I bought an electric chain saw and following instructions I added bar and
chain oil. Between cuts I set it down on the sawdust on the bluestone. Then
when sweeping up I found an oil spot at each place I set it down. I
certainly won't do this again, but the immediate problem is how to clean
off the stains. I did some Googling. I got a variety of suggestions. Does
anyone have some firsthand experience as to which of these actually work?

Make a poultice: Take your strongest oil remover* mix it with Talc (baby
powder). Apply, cover with plastic, do it hundred times. Leave poultice for
24 hours and repeat. It draws the stain out.

* Like the Techniseals product?
http://www.techniseal.com/web/product.php?prodID=14
[The closest place to buy is a 3 hour round trip.]

Try baking soda or powder to absorb it.

When stain is still fresh apply anything absorbent like baking soda, flour,
sawdust, salt. After the fact, you can try applying a paste made from
baking soda, scrubbing it into the stain, letting it dry in place, then
washing it off. Some people have success pouring cola and/or scrubbing with
dishwashing detergent. There are probably commercial cleaners available in
auto supply stores.

A good scrubbing with a grease cutting cleaner like Simple Green or that
orange stuff should take care of it.

Try a bit of peroxide mixed w/ the baking soda - scrub it in & let it sit
for a bit. May have to repeat.

Wash with a strong solution of washing soda and hot water. If stain
remains, make a paste of 1 pound strong powdered cleaner, 2 cups powdered
chalk, and 1 gallon water and cover the stain. Or, cover with a paste made
from fullers earth (an absorbent clay used for removing grease from
fabrics) and hot water. Leave the paste on overnight. Rinse with clear
water. Repeat if necessary.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

P.S. Before jumping on me asking why I was cutting up the logs on
bluestone, the answer is I have no choice. The front areaway (where the
wood is) is all bluestone. And also all of the backyard, plus it would be a
major effort getting the logs from the front to the back.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, 6:09*pm, Don Wiss wrote:
[...]

Try the methods you have researched...

One or more of them will work...

Next time you need to cut logs, I recommend putting down plastic
where you will be placing the oil soaked electric chain saw...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2010 3:09 PM Don Wiss spake thus:

I bought an electric chain saw and following instructions I added bar and
chain oil. Between cuts I set it down on the sawdust on the bluestone. Then
when sweeping up I found an oil spot at each place I set it down. I
certainly won't do this again, but the immediate problem is how to clean
off the stains. I did some Googling. I got a variety of suggestions. Does
anyone have some firsthand experience as to which of these actually work?

I know from experience what'll work because just today I had to wipe
some spilled oil (Watco teak oil) from slate. Just used ordinary paint
thinner, and it worked fine. Any equivalent solvent will work (naphtha,
turpentine, etc.) Don't use acetone or lacquer thinner--overkill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 10/19/2010 3:09 PM Don Wiss spake thus:

I bought an electric chain saw and following instructions I added bar and
chain oil. Between cuts I set it down on the sawdust on the bluestone. Then
when sweeping up I found an oil spot at each place I set it down. I
certainly won't do this again, but the immediate problem is how to clean
off the stains. I did some Googling. I got a variety of suggestions. Does
anyone have some firsthand experience as to which of these actually work?

I know from experience what'll work because just today I had to wipe
some spilled oil (Watco teak oil) from slate. Just used ordinary paint
thinner, and it worked fine. Any equivalent solvent will work (naphtha,
turpentine, etc.) Don't use acetone or lacquer thinner--overkill.

I don't think slate is as porous as bluestone. This all soaked in right
away.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2010 5:51 PM Don Wiss spake thus:

[...]

I'd still try solvent. You may still have to use one of those other
methods of attack you found, but it will definitely not hurt to try to
sop up some of the oil with paint thinner or equivalent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2010 6:09 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
[...]

I used cat litter to soak up motor oil from concrete...worked very well.
Spread it on, mash it in with your foot, and let it soak for a couple
of days. Sweep it up, hose off the dust that remains. Repeat if still
stained.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, 5:09*pm, Don Wiss wrote:
[...]

It might never come out except with time, you could treat the whole
floor with a treatment for bluestone, then it will all match
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Don Wiss wrote:
I bought an electric chain saw and following instructions I added bar and
chain oil.

Without any personal experience in this exact situation, I wonder whether a
small amount of diatomaceous earth might be worth applying to the stain areas.
It's pretty spectacular stuff - kind of like kitty litter on steroids.

Art
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2010 10:11 AM Arthur Shapiro spake thus:

In article , Don Wiss
wrote:

I bought an electric chain saw and following instructions I added
bar and chain oil.

Without any personal experience in this exact situation, I wonder whether a
small amount of diatomaceous earth might be worth applying to the stain areas.
It's pretty spectacular stuff - kind of like kitty litter on steroids.

I wonder; I know it's great as an insecticide for certain species, but
that's because it contains microscopically-sharp surfaces that cut the
bug's exterior. Not sure how absorbent the stuff is. Cat litter might
actually be better; I've used that on oil spills (on concrete) and it
works pretty well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Don Wiss wrote:
. I decided to go for the
Techniseal Professional Grade Oil & Grease Remover that I mentioned in my
original article.

Don, I hope you'll report back on the success/lack of success of this product.
The general problem is something a lot of us face from time to time.

Art
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 19, 2010 at 6:09:53 PM UTC-4, Don Wiss wrote:
[...]

Just a note: I tried everything to get out a nasty oil stain on my bluestone and the only thing that worked is what is recommended he I made a poultice out of ammonia and baking soda, put a thick coating on the bluestone, covered with plastic, and to encourage the grease leaching into the baking soda I put heavy bricks on top of the plastic. Two 24 hour sessions and it was clean. A miracle!