Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Wiss Don Wiss is offline

Default Removing oil stains from bluestone?

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 10/19/2010 3:09 PM Don Wiss spake thus:

I bought an electric chain saw and following instructions I added bar and
chain oil. Between cuts I set it down on the sawdust on the bluestone. Then
when sweeping up I found an oil spot at each place I set it down. I
certainly won't do this again, but the immediate problem is how to clean
off the stains. I did some Googling. I got a variety of suggestions. Does
anyone have some firsthand experience as to which of these actually work?

I know from experience what'll work because just today I had to wipe
some spilled oil (Watco teak oil) from slate. Just used ordinary paint
thinner, and it worked fine. Any equivalent solvent will work (naphtha,
turpentine, etc.) Don't use acetone or lacquer thinner--overkill.

I don't think slate is as porous as bluestone. This all soaked in right
away.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).