Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Wiss Don Wiss is offline

Default Removing oil stains from bluestone?

I bought an electric chain saw and following instructions I added bar and
chain oil. Between cuts I set it down on the sawdust on the bluestone. Then
when sweeping up I found an oil spot at each place I set it down. I
certainly won't do this again, but the immediate problem is how to clean
off the stains. I did some Googling. I got a variety of suggestions. Does
anyone have some firsthand experience as to which of these actually work?

Make a poultice: Take your strongest oil remover* mix it with Talc (baby
powder). Apply, cover with plastic, do it hundred times. Leave poultice for
24 hours and repeat. It draws the stain out.

* Like the Techniseals product?
http://www.techniseal.com/web/product.php?prodID=14
[The closest place to buy is a 3 hour round trip.]

Try baking soda or powder to absorb it.

When stain is still fresh apply anything absorbent like baking soda, flour,
sawdust, salt. After the fact, you can try applying a paste made from
baking soda, scrubbing it into the stain, letting it dry in place, then
washing it off. Some people have success pouring cola and/or scrubbing with
dishwashing detergent. There are probably commercial cleaners available in
auto supply stores.

A good scrubbing with a grease cutting cleaner like Simple Green or that
orange stuff should take care of it.

Try a bit of peroxide mixed w/ the baking soda - scrub it in & let it sit
for a bit. May have to repeat.

Wash with a strong solution of washing soda and hot water. If stain
remains, make a paste of 1 pound strong powdered cleaner, 2 cups powdered
chalk, and 1 gallon water and cover the stain. Or, cover with a paste made
from fullers earth (an absorbent clay used for removing grease from
fabrics) and hot water. Leave the paste on overnight. Rinse with clear
water. Repeat if necessary.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

P.S. Before jumping on me asking why I was cutting up the logs on
bluestone, the answer is I have no choice. The front areaway (where the
wood is) is all bluestone. And also all of the backyard, plus it would be a
major effort getting the logs from the front to the back.