Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Wiss Don Wiss is offline

Default Removing oil stains from bluestone?

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010, (Arthur Shapiro) wrote:

Don Wiss wrote:
I bought an electric chain saw and following instructions I added bar and
chain oil.

Without any personal experience in this exact situation, I wonder whether a
small amount of diatomaceous earth might be worth applying to the stain areas.
It's pretty spectacular stuff - kind of like kitty litter on steroids.

Hi Art,

Diatomaceous earth is what my father used 50+ years ago, back when he was
purchasing agent for a machine shop like factory. I decided to go for the
Techniseal Professional Grade Oil & Grease Remover that I mentioned in my
original article. Problem is no one sells it near me, and landscape and
stone places don't ship. So I found a place near my father. He is on his
way to buy a quart and send it to me.

I have also bought a 3 mil plastic sheet to put down before continuing on
the project. Thanks to Evan for that suggestion.

Adding in the $24.95 for the Oil & Grease Remover I am now over $100 spent
on my "free" firewood. And that doesn't include an extension cord. For the
first pass I put four a/c extension cords together. At least I will have a
chain saw handy for the next tornado that blows through my Brooklyn
neighborhood.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).