Posted to alt.home.repair
James Nipper

Default Removing Oil Stains from concrete driveway?

I had a car oil leak for a long while. I got rid of the car, but there was
some oil accumulation underneath where it was parked. I used a degreaser to
break up the oil, which did a good job. Of course , there is a wide area
of driveway left stained.

What is a good product to remove the remaining oil stains ??

Thanks for any tips !!

--James--

Posted to alt.home.repair

James Nipper wrote:
I had a car oil leak for a long while. I got rid of the car, but there was
some oil accumulation underneath where it was parked. I used a degreaser to
break up the oil, which did a good job. Of course , there is a wide area
of driveway left stained.

What is a good product to remove the remaining oil stains ??

Thanks for any tips !!

--James--

There are products specifically made for this. You can find them at
HD, etc, usually in the area where they have driveway coating products.
Whether any of them work better than what you already tried, I don't
know. Since oil soaks in, if it's accumulated for a long time, it may
not be possible to completely remove it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier

Try a small amount of bleach brush in one spot to see if it makes a
difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair
bluelagoon

Try some mechanics hand soap... specifically the one that has pumice in
it. Most hardware stores sell it in a gallon pump jug.
The best one to get has natural orange in it. It smells like fresh
oranges and its gritty and creamy. All you do is poor it on thick and
scrub, and then rinse off afterwards with a garden hose. It's also
environmentally safe.

I swear it will take the dirt or grease off damn near anything. Just
to give you an idea of it's power...I had a white shower stall floor
with stains that would not come out with any household product that my
wife tried...including bleach, etc...So as a last ditch effort, I tried
the mechanics soap with a small brush and scrubbed.
It worked, the shower stall looked like brand new when done.

I think it has 1000 possible uses as a cleaner...good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PDQ

"J.A. Michel" wrote in message ...
| Grind cat litter over the surface with a block of wood.
|

| "James Nipper" wrote in message
|
| I had a car oil leak for a long while. I got rid of the car, but there
| was
| some oil accumulation underneath where it was parked. I used a degreaser
| break up the oil, which did a good job. Of course , there is a wide area
| of driveway left stained.
|
| What is a good product to remove the remaining oil stains ??
|
| Thanks for any tips !!
|

| --James--

TSP - Tri Sodium Phosphate - a stiff brush and lots of elbow grease.

--
PDQ

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 08:00:49 -0500, "James Nipper"
wrote:

I had a car oil leak for a long while. I got rid of the car, but there was
some oil accumulation underneath where it was parked. I used a degreaser to
break up the oil, which did a good job. Of course , there is a wide area
of driveway left stained.

What is a good product to remove the remaining oil stains ??

Thanks for any tips !!

--James--

Not really. The classic cleanup is to use cheap clay kitty litter.
Crush it into the concrete while wearing heavy boots. Sweep it up the
next day. The longer the oil sat on the concrete, the deeper the
stain will be. Try using the de greaser again. A pressure washer is
a good tool to clean concrete. Aren't concrete driveways supposed to
have stains???
Posted to alt.home.repair

had that occur years ago to a rental, tried my best couldnt get it all.
sold rental awhile ago, the stain is slowly fading.

most you can do is minimize it.

a word to the wise seal your driveway BEFORE it gets stained, saves
tons of grief later

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

we used degreaser/sanitizer SPRAY NINE by the gallon, let it soak in,
hose away later, repeat. some home depot's carry it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

wrote:

I had a car oil leak for a long while. I got rid of the car, but there was

What kind of driveway? What's it made out of?

some oil accumulation underneath where it was parked. I used a degreaser to
break up the oil, which did a good job. Of course , there is a wide area
of driveway left stained.

What is a good product to remove the remaining oil stains ??

Thanks for any tips !!

--James--

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom O'Connor

Dry powdered concrete works wonders. Spread it over the satin and let it
sit, sweep it up and the stains should be removed.

I had a car oil leak for a long while. I got rid of the car, but there
was
some oil accumulation underneath where it was parked. I used a degreaser
break up the oil, which did a good job. Of course , there is a wide area
of driveway left stained.

What is a good product to remove the remaining oil stains ??

Thanks for any tips !!

--James--

Posted to alt.home.repair
miller_a

I heard that after you use cat litter or saw dust, to put dry cement
on it and let it site for a day or two before sweeping it up. It is
supposed to pull the stain out better

Posted to alt.home.repair
James Nipper

Thanks for all the helpful replies !!!!

--James--

Posted to alt.home.repair

honestly, the cat litter is a good idea. once i created an oil stain on
a customer's driveway and i tried expensive concrete cleaners, etc.
Finally what worked(to an acceptable level, nothing is going to
completely remove old oil stains) was, first i used bleach and a
pressure sprayer, then i used kitty litter(or equivalent) and crushed
it over the stain to help blend the stain in with the existing concrete

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark D

Hi James, Written privately to you three times, yet haven't gotten a
response from you, Mark