Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Block end of disused pipe

On Sun, 26 May 2019 13:40:03 +0100, Pancho
wrote:

On 26/05/2019 13:29, Jim K.. wrote:
(Richard Tobin) Wrote in message:
Behind a panel in my house is the exposed end of a long-disused waste
pipe - quite likely there was once a sink there - which I suspect of
being the source of an occasional bad smell.

Presumably I should cap it, but as you can see from this photo it's
not a neat end:

http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/pipe-end.jpg

The outside diameter is about 7cm.

There are flexible rubber caps for sale, e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cloverleaf-...dp/B078HHNFHS/

but I doubt it could be attached securely. Would a piece of some kind
of flexible rubber sheet and a jubilee clip do the trick?

Expanding foam?

I was going to say scrunched up newspaper, but thought it might be
considered unprofessional.

You are both correct.

For the kewpie doll you have to say which one to put in the pipe
first. :-)

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 May 2019 04:01:06 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Marland" wrote in message
Richard Tobin wrote:
Behind a panel in my house is the exposed end of a long-disused waste
pipe - quite likely there was once a sink there - which I suspect of
being the source of an occasional bad smell.

Presumably I should cap it, but as you can see from this photo it's
not a neat end:

http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/pipe-end.jpg

The outside diameter is about 7cm.

There are flexible rubber caps for sale, e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cloverleaf-...dp/B078HHNFHS/

but I doubt it could be attached securely. Would a piece of some kind
of flexible rubber sheet and a jubilee clip do the trick?

Reasonable quality plastic bag and a cable tie would do it just as well.

Nope, plastic bags don’t last long.

One does try. I often put my pennorth in, but you can guarantee a few
IQ zeros will pop up with something implausable anyway.

One would have to have led a very sheltered life to suggest the
plastic bag approach. I do wonder what peoples motives are when they
provide such "advice".

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 May 2019 16:45:02 +0100 (GMT+01:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

Marland Wrote in message:
Richard Tobin wrote:
Behind a panel in my house is the exposed end of a long-disused waste
pipe - quite likely there was once a sink there - which I suspect of
being the source of an occasional bad smell.

Presumably I should cap it, but as you can see from this photo it's
not a neat end:

http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/pipe-end.jpg

The outside diameter is about 7cm.

There are flexible rubber caps for sale, e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cloverleaf-...dp/B078HHNFHS/

but I doubt it could be attached securely. Would a piece of some kind
of flexible rubber sheet and a jubilee clip do the trick?

-- Richard

Reasonable quality plastic bag and a cable tie would do it just as well.

GH

and add spooky sound effects if the wind ever blows into it...

You were actually correct initially. Newspaper followed by foam and
slice the top flush, or leave a "mushroom".

Standard practice in construction sites I attend, it is often used for
cable ducts.

Needs a tool to remove it if the pipes re-used, but if not it may be
considered permanent. Vermin dont seem to like the foam and although
it discolours it is very stable.

AB
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 26 May 2019 12:23:28 +0000 (UTC),
(Richard Tobin) wrote:

Behind a panel in my house is the exposed end of a long-disused waste
pipe - quite likely there was once a sink there - which I suspect of
being the source of an occasional bad smell.

Presumably I should cap it, but as you can see from this photo it's
not a neat end:

http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/pipe-end.jpg

The outside diameter is about 7cm.

There are flexible rubber caps for sale, e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cloverleaf-...dp/B078HHNFHS/

but I doubt it could be attached securely. Would a piece of some kind
of flexible rubber sheet and a jubilee clip do the trick?

It has a jubilee clip, just like you're suggesting for a piece of
rubber sheet.

Yes, but the cap is very shallow, so the clip would be over the part
of the pipe that slopes inward - I think it might just pop off when
the clip was tightened.

In addition, you could liberally coat the flutes inside
of the cap with silicone or sticks-like-**** or gutter sealant to make
it more secure and make it air-tight. It's not as though it's going to
be subject to movement or stresses and strains, tucked away behind
that panel.

That might work.

-- Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Tobin wrote:
Behind a panel in my house is the exposed end of a long-disused waste
pipe - quite likely there was once a sink there - which I suspect of
being the source of an occasional bad smell.

Presumably I should cap it, but as you can see from this photo it's
not a neat end:

http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/pipe-end.jpg

The outside diameter is about 7cm.

There are flexible rubber caps for sale, e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cloverleaf-...dp/B078HHNFHS/

but I doubt it could be attached securely. Would a piece of some kind
of flexible rubber sheet and a jubilee clip do the trick?

-- Richard

I would just stuff a scrunched up plastic bag into the pipe. It not like
youre trying to block mass air flow. Alternatively, it wouldnt be that
hard to molish up a wooden plug that matched the internal diameter of the
pipe. Add a gloop of whatever sealant you have to hand if you want to make
it more airtight.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard Tobin" wrote in message
Behind a panel in my house is the exposed end of a long-disused waste
pipe - quite likely there was once a sink there - which I suspect of
being the source of an occasional bad smell.

Presumably I should cap it, but as you can see from this photo it's
not a neat end:

http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/pipe-end.jpg

The outside diameter is about 7cm.

There are flexible rubber caps for sale, e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cloverleaf-...dp/B078HHNFHS/

but I doubt it could be attached securely.

Don’t see why not with that big jubilee clip.

Would a piece of some kind of flexible rubber sheet and a jubilee clip do
the trick?

That would be worse than the cap.

A big rubber bung might well work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Marland" wrote in message
Richard Tobin wrote:
[...]

'Plastic bags' come in all sorts of qualities.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Marland" wrote in message
Richard Tobin wrote:
Behind a panel in my house is the exposed end of a long-disused waste
pipe - quite likely there was once a sink there - which I suspect of
being the source of an occasional bad smell.

Presumably I should cap it, but as you can see from this photo it's
not a neat end:

http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/pipe-end.jpg

The outside diameter is about 7cm.

There are flexible rubber caps for sale, e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cloverleaf-...dp/B078HHNFHS/

but I doubt it could be attached securely. Would a piece of some kind
of flexible rubber sheet and a jubilee clip do the trick?

Reasonable quality plastic bag and a cable tie would do it just as well.

Nope, plastic bags don?t last long.

Polythene bags last a long long time, that's why we have
biodegradable and compostable ones.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Marland" wrote in message
Richard Tobin wrote:
[...]

Never seen any that last very long at all even when kept in a drawer inside
the house.

Some plastic sheet lasts fine, most obviously with the thick stuff used
under
a concrete slab on the ground when its left lying around inside a house
and even cheap ground sheets do last a long time inside the house. I have
a couple used as curtains that have lasted 45 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." wrote in message
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Marland" wrote in message
Richard Tobin wrote:
Behind a panel in my house is the exposed end of a long-disused waste
pipe - quite likely there was once a sink there - which I suspect of
being the source of an occasional bad smell.

Presumably I should cap it, but as you can see from this photo it's
not a neat end:

http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/pipe-end.jpg

The outside diameter is about 7cm.

There are flexible rubber caps for sale, e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cloverleaf-...dp/B078HHNFHS/

but I doubt it could be attached securely. Would a piece of some kind
of flexible rubber sheet and a jubilee clip do the trick?

Reasonable quality plastic bag and a cable tie would do it just as well.

Nope, plastic bags don?t last long.

Polythene bags last a long long time,

No they don't. They break up into small pieces surprisingly
quickly even when kept inside the house out of the light.

that's why we have biodegradable and compostable ones.

Nope, that's a different issue, how long it takes for
the small pieces to stop being small pieces of plastic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2019 15:38, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:
Vermin dont seem to like the foam

I was lifting some floorboards last weekend. I found lots of mouse bite
sized bits of foam. I've also had squirrel sized ones - although the
squirrel gave up when it got to the wire netting. And found another way
into the loft

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Marland" wrote in message
Richard Tobin wrote:
[...]

I don't believe that there is any motive, just ignorance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 May 2019 04:01:06 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Reasonable quality plastic bag and a cable tie would do it just as well.

Nope, plastic bags don¢t last long.

Of course they do, senile auto-contradictor!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 May 2019 03:44:58 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Presumably I should cap it, but as you can see from this photo it's
not a neat end:

http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/pipe-end.jpg

The outside diameter is about 7cm.

There are flexible rubber caps for sale, e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cloverleaf-...dp/B078HHNFHS/

but I doubt it could be attached securely.

Don¢t see why not with that big jubilee clip.

That answer was already provided, senile bigmouth! Just what in hell makes
you believe any answers only become valid once YOU confirm and repeat them?

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

"Richard Tobin" wrote in message
Behind a panel in my house is the exposed end of a long-disused waste
pipe - quite likely there was once a sink there - which I suspect of
being the source of an occasional bad smell.

Presumably I should cap it, but as you can see from this photo it's
not a neat end:

http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/pipe-end.jpg

The outside diameter is about 7cm.

There are flexible rubber caps for sale, e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cloverleaf-...dp/B078HHNFHS/

but I doubt it could be attached securely.

Don't see why not with that big jubilee clip.

Would a piece of some kind of flexible rubber sheet and a jubilee clip do
the trick?

That would be worse than the cap.

A big rubber bung might well work.

You can buy a rubber plug with the same sort of multiple circumferential
flaps as toilet adaptors (but male) from builders' or plumbers'
merchants. Or Ebay. Neatest but not cheapest solution and easier to
fit than the external cap. Might have to clean and trim it a bit.
--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Marland" wrote in message
Richard Tobin wrote:
Behind a panel in my house is the exposed end of a long-disused waste
pipe - quite likely there was once a sink there - which I suspect of
being the source of an occasional bad smell.

Presumably I should cap it, but as you can see from this photo it's
not a neat end:

http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/pipe-end.jpg

The outside diameter is about 7cm.

There are flexible rubber caps for sale, e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cloverleaf-...dp/B078HHNFHS/

but I doubt it could be attached securely. Would a piece of some kind
of flexible rubber sheet and a jubilee clip do the trick?

Reasonable quality plastic bag and a cable tie would do it just as well.

Nope, plastic bags donÂ’t last long.

One does try. I often put my pennorth in, but you can guarantee a few
IQ zeros will pop up with something implausable anyway.

One would have to have led a very sheltered life to suggest the
plastic bag approach. I do wonder what peoples motives are when they
provide such "advice".

AB

I said reasonable quality, something like is used for for storing food in a
freezer not the wrapper from a loaf of Mother Pride. In the position
behind the bath away from UV light it will last decades.
People store things in plastic bags in lofts and drawers for years without
problems.
It was only odours the OP wanted to stop emitting from the pipe not gas or
liquid under pressure.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 May 2019 05:58:03 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

'Plastic bags' come in all sorts of qualities.

Never seen any that last very long at all even when kept in a drawer inside
the house.

Others DID see them last long, senile asshole!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 May 2019 06:10:35 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

One does try. I often put my pennorth in, but you can guarantee a few
IQ zeros will pop up with something implausable anyway.

One would have to have led a very sheltered life to suggest the
plastic bag approach. I do wonder what peoples motives are when they
provide such "advice".

I don't believe that there is any motive, just ignorance.

On YOUR part, most certainly, as you just demonstrated again!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 May 2019 06:01:10 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Polythene bags last a long long time,

No they don't. They break up into small pieces surprisingly
quickly even when kept inside the house out of the light.

NOT the ones OTHER people know and environmentalists complain about, senile
asshole!

Just more senile BULL**** from you!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2019 13:23, Richard Tobin wrote:
Behind a panel in my house is the exposed end of a long-disused waste
pipe - quite likely there was once a sink there - which I suspect of
being the source of an occasional bad smell.

Presumably I should cap it, but as you can see from this photo it's
not a neat end:

http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/pipe-end.jpg

The outside diameter is about 7cm.

There are flexible rubber caps for sale, e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cloverleaf-...dp/B078HHNFHS/

but I doubt it could be attached securely. Would a piece of some kind
of flexible rubber sheet and a jubilee clip do the trick?

If it was cut back to the wall, would it be rounder?

If so, can you find a 68mm to 40mm (or 32mm) reducer of the type that
that is flexible rubber, with ridges around and that pushes into the
pipe? And then blank the reduced size hole - you can get internal blanks
of that size no problem.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:

If it was cut back to the wall, would it be rounder?

Yes, assuming I was able to cut it neatly, which I doubt. I'm not
sure what it's made of - it's connected to a cast iron downpipe,
and may well date from the 19th century.

-- Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Marland" wrote in message
Richard Tobin wrote:
[...]

Bull****. I found some of those that had got down the back
of a drawer and was surprised to find that they break up
into lots of very small pieces of plastic at the merest touch.

People store things in plastic bags in lofts
and drawers for years without problems.

And plenty find those fall to bits too.

It was only odours the OP wanted to stop emitting
from the pipe not gas or liquid under pressure.

Sure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Marland" wrote in message
Richard Tobin wrote:
[...]

As your expertise in bags only encompasses wet paper ones then it can be
taken that your selection of ones made from other materials is bound to be
less than satisfactory.

God knows what state of squalor and infestation you live in if any type of
plastic bag has time to degrade down the back of a drawer, dont you ever
clean up .

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 26 May 2019 13:25:02 UTC+1, Richard Tobin wrote:
Behind a panel in my house is the exposed end of a long-disused waste
pipe - quite likely there was once a sink there - which I suspect of
being the source of an occasional bad smell.

Presumably I should cap it, but as you can see from this photo it's
not a neat end:

http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/pipe-end.jpg

The outside diameter is about 7cm.

There are flexible rubber caps for sale, e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cloverleaf-...dp/B078HHNFHS/

but I doubt it could be attached securely. Would a piece of some kind
of flexible rubber sheet and a jubilee clip do the trick?

You could use various things - expanding foam, cement mortar, rubber or wooden bung, might even find a suitable size plastic pot to fit from the kitchen bin & silicone it in.

Whatever you use, clean the inside near the end first so you get a proper fit/seal.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If as you say it goes into a cast iron pipe and you cannot see any fittings on the pipe then I would suggest the pipe is lead. In that case the end cap you suggested will not work as the clip will simply squash the pipe together. If you can get to the front of it squash the pipe together to for a straight seam, scrape as much oxide as possible off the seam, apply flux and heat carefully with blow torch to form a weld on the seam.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 May 2019 11:13:06 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the abnormal pathological auto-contradicting senile asshole's latest
troll****

....and much better air in here again!

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Tricky Dicky writes
If as you say it goes into a cast iron pipe and you cannot see any
fittings on the pipe then I would suggest the pipe is lead.

Forgive me, perhaps I'm an idle sod or a bodger, but I think many people
are over thinking this. Given that the pipe is out of sight and only
occasionally emits pongy air, not gas or liquid or anything under
pressure, I would just cut a circle of thick card or plastic and attach
to the front with a few crosses of gaffer tape. Who is going to see it,
or care? Should it fail after ten years, just renew for the next ten
years. And yes, I have done exactly that, in the past. Job done.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Marland" wrote in message

wrote:

"Marland" wrote in message
Richard Tobin wrote:
[...]

reams of your **** any 2 year old could leave for dead flushed where it
belongs

Whoops, nothing left. Wota surprise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

(Richard Tobin) wrote:

Behind a panel in my house is the exposed end of a long-disused waste
pipe - quite likely there was once a sink there - which I suspect of
being the source of an occasional bad smell.

Presumably I should cap it, but as you can see from this photo it's
not a neat end:

http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/pipe-end.jpg

The outside diameter is about 7cm.

There are flexible rubber caps for sale, e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cloverleaf-...dp/B078HHNFHS/

but I doubt it could be attached securely. Would a piece of some kind
of flexible rubber sheet and a jubilee clip do the trick?

It looks to be lead pipe and the end is quite irregular so no clamp
is going to work well.

The simplest way is to spray it with a small amount of water mist or
wipe it outside and in with a wet cloth and then squirt a bit of
expanding foam

https://www.toolstation.com/soudal-b...ng-foam/p87889

into the end (not too much if the pipe is still attached elsewhere to
used pipes). Put a bit more foam into a plastic disposable drinking
cup and press it over the pipe supporting it in place with some scraps
of wood as it expands and sets. The foam will fill the cup and bond
to the blob in the pipe and the pipe itself giving you a gas tight
seal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 May 2019 19:28:23 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Bull****. I found some of those that had got down the back
of a drawer and was surprised to find that they break up
into lots of very small pieces of plastic at the merest touch.

reams of your **** any 2 year old could leave for dead flushed where it
belongs

Whoops, nothing left. Wota surprise.

Awww! Senile Rodent just realized that he had lost yet another argument! No
surprise again! BG

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."