Jerry Built

Default Blocking off a disused fireplace.

chris French wrote:
Chimney with two fireplaces, one on first floor was already
blocked off, no vent of any sort.

Should be fine...

Fireplace on the ground floor had an old gas fire which we have
now removed and have blocked off this one as well - plasterers
are in there as I write.

ISTR seeing vents installed in some blocked off fireplaces, and
I am wondering if there is a need to fit a vent into the
fireplace.

Quite possibly not - if you decide to put one in, put an airbrick
on the outside.

J.B.

chris French

In message , Jerry Built
writes
chris French wrote:
Chimney with two fireplaces, one on first floor was already
blocked off, no vent of any sort.

Should be fine...

Fireplace on the ground floor had an old gas fire which we have
now removed and have blocked off this one as well - plasterers
are in there as I write.

ISTR seeing vents installed in some blocked off fireplaces, and
I am wondering if there is a need to fit a vent into the
fireplace.

Quite possibly not -

So the impression I get here, is that some may consider it good practice
but there is no 'requirement'.

if you decide to put one in, put an airbrick
on the outside.

There is no outside, it's a semi-detached.

--
Chris French, Leeds
AJ

chris French wrote:
In message , Jerry Built
writes

chris French wrote:

Chimney with two fireplaces, one on first floor was already
blocked off, no vent of any sort.

Should be fine...

Fireplace on the ground floor had an old gas fire which we have
now removed and have blocked off this one as well - plasterers
are in there as I write.

ISTR seeing vents installed in some blocked off fireplaces, and
I am wondering if there is a need to fit a vent into the
fireplace.

Quite possibly not -

So the impression I get here, is that some may consider it good practice
but there is no 'requirement'.

if you decide to put one in, put an airbrick
on the outside.

There is no outside, it's a semi-detached.

A house I bought got snagged on the survey cos of a missing air vent in
a sealed up chimney / fireplace . You are supposed to have one to help
stop damp building up by ventilating it.