Rob Green

Default Putting a Wood Stove in an Old Fireplace

I live in an older home that has what I call a "cook" fireplace because
it once was used for cooking in the house before electricity and more
modern cast iron cooking stoves and ovens were invented (house is stone
and built about 1820). I have found that I don't use this fireplace as
often as I'd like, and it is somewhat drafty even with the wooden doors
to the fireplace closed.

Anyway, I want to put a woodstove into the fireplace and put a stove
pipe up into the chimney. This stove will sit in the fireplace (I'm not
going to block off the fireplace opening). I can put a decent size
woodstove in the fireplace since I can stand up in the fireplace and it
is also about 3 to 4 feet deep. I'll need to block off the rest of the
chimney opening right above the level of the mantle so that all of the
heat won't go up the chimney.

My question is, do I need to bring the stove pipe all the way up the
chimney to the roof (house is two stories and an attic)? The chimney is
already capped with a raised flagstone so that rain water does not come
down the chimney. Is there an advantage to going to the top, or am I ok
just having the pipe exhaust into the big old chimney? I'm mainly asking
because the old chimney is the original stone chimney and I think it
might be safer to use pipe to the top, but maybe there are other
considerations?

Thanks in advance for any info and insights.

Rob
Penna.
Roger

My question is, do I need to bring the stove pipe all the way up the
chimney to the roof (house is two stories and an attic)? The chimney is
already capped with a raised flagstone so that rain water does not come
down the chimney. Is there an advantage to going to the top, or am I ok
just having the pipe exhaust into the big old chimney? I'm mainly asking
because the old chimney is the original stone chimney and I think it
might be safer to use pipe to the top, but maybe there are other
considerations?

Modern wood stove flues are usually designed for higher heat than your
existing chimney, and are ideally corrosion resistant double walled
stainless steel. It may be best to run the pipe all the way up. Re whether
to seal around the base of the pipe, I don't know, but a good newsgroup for
this would be alt.energy.homepower
With a hearth as large as yours, a stand-alone stove might work better than
a woodstove insert, which, as I recall, generally fit into smaller openings.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Rob Green" wrote in message
I live in an older home that has what I call a "cook" fireplace because
it once was used for cooking in the house before electricity and more
modern cast iron cooking stoves and ovens were invented (house is stone
and built about 1820). I have found that I don't use this fireplace as
often as I'd like, and it is somewhat drafty even with the wooden doors
to the fireplace closed.

You probably want to talk to a pro in the area. Codes may differ for one
thing. Construction, liner or unlined, etc. all come into play.
Ed

John Galbreath Jr.

I suggest relining all the way to the top given the age of the chimney.

Call us at 888.321.Logs, we will send you the literature and installation
manual on DuraVent. Or download from http://www.DuraVent.com.