Posted to uk.d-i-y
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq[_2_] Archibald Tarquin  Blenkinsopp Esq[_2_] is offline

Default Block end of disused pipe

On Sun, 26 May 2019 16:45:02 +0100 (GMT+01:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

Marland Wrote in message:
Richard Tobin wrote:
Behind a panel in my house is the exposed end of a long-disused waste
pipe - quite likely there was once a sink there - which I suspect of
being the source of an occasional bad smell.

Presumably I should cap it, but as you can see from this photo it's
not a neat end:

http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/pipe-end.jpg

The outside diameter is about 7cm.

There are flexible rubber caps for sale, e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cloverleaf-...dp/B078HHNFHS/

but I doubt it could be attached securely. Would a piece of some kind
of flexible rubber sheet and a jubilee clip do the trick?

-- Richard

Reasonable quality plastic bag and a cable tie would do it just as well.

GH

and add spooky sound effects if the wind ever blows into it...

You were actually correct initially. Newspaper followed by foam and
slice the top flush, or leave a "mushroom".

Standard practice in construction sites I attend, it is often used for
cable ducts.

Needs a tool to remove it if the pipes re-used, but if not it may be
considered permanent. Vermin dont seem to like the foam and although
it discolours it is very stable.

AB