Posted to uk.d-i-y
Marland Marland is offline

Default Block end of disused pipe

Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:
On Mon, 27 May 2019 04:01:06 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Marland" wrote in message
Richard Tobin wrote:
Behind a panel in my house is the exposed end of a long-disused waste
pipe - quite likely there was once a sink there - which I suspect of
being the source of an occasional bad smell.

Presumably I should cap it, but as you can see from this photo it's
not a neat end:

http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/pipe-end.jpg

The outside diameter is about 7cm.

There are flexible rubber caps for sale, e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cloverleaf-...dp/B078HHNFHS/

but I doubt it could be attached securely. Would a piece of some kind
of flexible rubber sheet and a jubilee clip do the trick?

Reasonable quality plastic bag and a cable tie would do it just as well.

Nope, plastic bags don’t last long.

One does try. I often put my pennorth in, but you can guarantee a few
IQ zeros will pop up with something implausable anyway.

One would have to have led a very sheltered life to suggest the
plastic bag approach. I do wonder what peoples motives are when they
provide such "advice".

AB

I said reasonable quality, something like is used for for storing food in a
freezer not the wrapper from a loaf of Mother Pride. In the position
behind the bath away from UV light it will last decades.
People store things in plastic bags in lofts and drawers for years without
problems.
It was only odours the OP wanted to stop emitting from the pipe not gas or
liquid under pressure.

GH