Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Block end of disused pipe

Rod Speed wrote:

"Richard Tobin" wrote in message
Behind a panel in my house is the exposed end of a long-disused waste
pipe - quite likely there was once a sink there - which I suspect of
being the source of an occasional bad smell.

Presumably I should cap it, but as you can see from this photo it's
not a neat end:

http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/pipe-end.jpg

The outside diameter is about 7cm.

There are flexible rubber caps for sale, e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cloverleaf-...dp/B078HHNFHS/

but I doubt it could be attached securely.

Don't see why not with that big jubilee clip.

Would a piece of some kind of flexible rubber sheet and a jubilee clip do
the trick?

That would be worse than the cap.

A big rubber bung might well work.

You can buy a rubber plug with the same sort of multiple circumferential
flaps as toilet adaptors (but male) from builders' or plumbers'
merchants. Or Ebay. Neatest but not cheapest solution and easier to
fit than the external cap. Might have to clean and trim it a bit.
--

Roger Hayter