Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Automatic wire strippers

I was thinking of getting an automatic wire stripper & came across
this on sale for £14.

https://www.toolstation.com/ck-automatic-wire-stripper/p42984

Are they any good?

Thanks,
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 May 2019 17:09:46 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

I was thinking of getting an automatic wire stripper & came across this
on sale for £14.

https://www.toolstation.com/ck-automatic-wire-stripper/p42984

Are they any good?

Can't help with that one (although genuine CK stuff is usually good).

I bought one of these (I think on a recommendation here) and it is
excellent. I've been using it a lot recently.

https://capritools.com/pliers-and-cu...recision-wire-
strippers/

They do a range, but that one is about 20 quid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2019 17:09, Adam Funk wrote:
I was thinking of getting an automatic wire stripper & came across
this on sale for £14.

https://www.toolstation.com/ck-automatic-wire-stripper/p42984

Are they any good?

Thanks,
Adam

I have some that looks like that..

they work on smallish wires but I don't think they work well on 4 mm
mains cables.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes

https://capritools.com/pliers-and-cu...recision-wire-
strippers/

Mine is very similar to the above and yes, works very well.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17:40 20 May 2019, Bob Eager wrote:

On Mon, 20 May 2019 17:09:46 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

I was thinking of getting an automatic wire stripper & came across this
on sale for £14.

https://www.toolstation.com/ck-automatic-wire-stripper/p42984

Are they any good?

Can't help with that one (although genuine CK stuff is usually good).

I bought one of these (I think on a recommendation here) and it is
excellent. I've been using it a lot recently.

https://capritools.com/pliers-and-cu...recision-wire-
strippers/

They do a range, but that one is about 20 quid.

At university, when I couldn't have afforded wire strippers I stripped a
length of figure-of-8 two-core mains flex with my teeth and the mains was on.

I've never forgotten, decades later.

I did that as a child, maybe I was 11 or 12, I volunteered to repair a
neighbours doorbell and stripped a "figure 8" pair of wires with my
teeth that I assumed were on the LV side of the transformer. Never
assume.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 20 May 2019 17:09:46 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

I was thinking of getting an automatic wire stripper & came across this
on sale for £14.

https://www.toolstation.com/ck-automatic-wire-stripper/p42984

Are they any good?

Can't help with that one (although genuine CK stuff is usually good).

I bought one of these (I think on a recommendation here) and it is
excellent. I've been using it a lot recently.

https://capritools.com/pliers-and-cu...ire-strippers/

They do a range, but that one is about 20 quid.

I've got about every type known to man, and those are the best I have.
They do mains 1,1.5,2.5mm well, and most of the other cables I use for
electronics. The self adjusting types never seem to be as good.

--
*I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2019 17:09, Adam Funk wrote:
I was thinking of getting an automatic wire stripper & came across
this on sale for £14.

https://www.toolstation.com/ck-automatic-wire-stripper/p42984

Are they any good?

Thanks,
Adam

This type do work well and CK are/were considered a good brand.

I have a similar CK stripper but on my 15+ year old version the cutting
jaws are slightly different. However the gripping/stripping jaws on the
Toolstaion offering above look far superior to the copy-cat strippers on
Ebay which cost £7 to £12.

Consider removing the red plastic wire length end stop and you may find
that you can strip thicker wires. I can strip the grey insulation from
"5A" cable with ease and from 13A cable with some difficulty (the
stripping jaws are on limit for the size of the cable). With the outer
insulation on thick cable strip in multiple small lengths.

IMO the crimp function on the inside of the handles should only be used
as a last resort and proper ratchet crimp tools work much better.

The wire cutter blades on the handle side of the pivot will cut mains cable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMH TMH is offline

On 20/05/2019 17:09, Adam Funk wrote:
I was thinking of getting an automatic wire stripper & came across
this on sale for £14.

https://www.toolstation.com/ck-automatic-wire-stripper/p42984

Are they any good?

Thanks,
Adam

Bloody brilliant! Had mine 8 years, couldn't do without them!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/05/2019 00:48, TMH wrote:
On 20/05/2019 17:09, Adam Funk wrote:
I was thinking of getting an automatic wire stripper & came across
this on sale for £14.

https://www.toolstation.com/ck-automatic-wire-stripper/p42984

Are they any good?

Thanks,
Adam

Bloody brilliant!Â* Had mine 8 years, couldn't do without them!

Stripping with your teeth is a no no. Years ago I worked with a chap
that did that. Until one day his tooth went in one direction and the
wire covering in another!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No I guess its one way to wake oneself up, and to fuse the whole building at
the same time.
I think its a bit like the first time I encountered the ring main way of
wiring ceiling roses so that its still got a live when the light is off.
Before that all the old houses I'd been in only had two wires to the rose
in any case.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Pamela" wrote in message
On 17:40 20 May 2019, Bob Eager wrote:

On Mon, 20 May 2019 17:09:46 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

I was thinking of getting an automatic wire stripper & came across this
on sale for £14.

https://www.toolstation.com/ck-automatic-wire-stripper/p42984

Are they any good?

Can't help with that one (although genuine CK stuff is usually good).

I bought one of these (I think on a recommendation here) and it is
excellent. I've been using it a lot recently.

https://capritools.com/pliers-and-cu...recision-wire-
strippers/

They do a range, but that one is about 20 quid.

At university, when I couldn't have afforded wire strippers I stripped a
length of figure-of-8 two-core mains flex with my teeth and the mains was
on.

I've never forgotten, decades later.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pamela" wrote in message
On 17:40 20 May 2019, Bob Eager wrote:

On Mon, 20 May 2019 17:09:46 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

I was thinking of getting an automatic wire stripper & came across this
on sale for £14.

https://www.toolstation.com/ck-automatic-wire-stripper/p42984

Are they any good?

Can't help with that one (although genuine CK stuff is usually good).

I bought one of these (I think on a recommendation here) and it is
excellent. I've been using it a lot recently.

https://capritools.com/pliers-and-cu...recision-wire-
strippers/

They do a range, but that one is about 20 quid.

At university, when I couldn't have afforded wire strippers I stripped a
length of figure-of-8 two-core mains flex with my teeth and the mains was
on.

I've never forgotten, decades later.

That certainly explains the problem between your ears.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 May 2019 19:46:16 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

That certainly explains the problem between your ears.

That's where all your bull**** is located, isn't it, you notorious
pathological bull****ter?

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-05-20, alan_m wrote:

On 20/05/2019 17:09, Adam Funk wrote:
I was thinking of getting an automatic wire stripper & came across
this on sale for £14.

https://www.toolstation.com/ck-automatic-wire-stripper/p42984

Are they any good?

Thanks,
Adam

This type do work well and CK are/were considered a good brand.

I have a similar CK stripper but on my 15+ year old version the cutting
jaws are slightly different. However the gripping/stripping jaws on the
Toolstaion offering above look far superior to the copy-cat strippers on
Ebay which cost £7 to £12.

Thanks (and to everyone else who answered).

Consider removing the red plastic wire length end stop and you may find
that you can strip thicker wires. I can strip the grey insulation from
"5A" cable with ease and from 13A cable with some difficulty (the
stripping jaws are on limit for the size of the cable). With the outer
insulation on thick cable strip in multiple small lengths.

IMO the crimp function on the inside of the handles should only be used
as a last resort and proper ratchet crimp tools work much better.

Yes, in some ways I wish they didn't put crimping slots in tools like
this, because it tempts people to use them.

The wire cutter blades on the handle side of the pivot will cut mains cable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That's shocking...

You were clearly a bright spark at that age!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2019 17:09, Adam Funk wrote:
I was thinking of getting an automatic wire stripper & came across
this on sale for £14.

https://www.toolstation.com/ck-automatic-wire-stripper/p42984

Are they any good?

They've got something similar in Aldi for £6 - just bought one. Wire
cutter is crude/effective, but seems to strip cables very nicely.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2019 18:39, Pamela wrote:

At university, when I couldn't have afforded wire strippers I stripped a
length of figure-of-8 two-core mains flex with my teeth and the mains was on.

I've never forgotten, decades later.

No shocks, but a friend, a motor mechanic by trade, stripped out his
front tooth that way.

'twas day before his wedding!

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes the riggers who did my original rotator wiring on my chimney used
teeth, and despite my misgivings about moisture in the cabling, everything
seemed to work very well. I wonder if they still have their teeth, they must
be retired by now!

Brian

--
----- --

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 20/05/2019 18:39, Pamela wrote:

At university, when I couldn't have afforded wire strippers I stripped a
length of figure-of-8 two-core mains flex with my teeth and the mains was
on.

I've never forgotten, decades later.

No shocks, but a friend, a motor mechanic by trade, stripped out his front
tooth that way.

'twas day before his wedding!

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-06-03, RJH wrote:

On 20/05/2019 17:09, Adam Funk wrote:
I was thinking of getting an automatic wire stripper & came across
this on sale for £14.

https://www.toolstation.com/ck-automatic-wire-stripper/p42984

Are they any good?

They've got something similar in Aldi for £6 - just bought one. Wire
cutter is crude/effective, but seems to strip cables very nicely.

Thanks, but I bought the CK one on sale about a week & a half ago.
(I was off-line last week.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-05-20, alan_m wrote:

On 20/05/2019 17:09, Adam Funk wrote:
I was thinking of getting an automatic wire stripper & came across
this on sale for £14.

https://www.toolstation.com/ck-automatic-wire-stripper/p42984

Are they any good?

Thanks,
Adam

This type do work well and CK are/were considered a good brand.

I have a similar CK stripper but on my 15+ year old version the cutting
jaws are slightly different. However the gripping/stripping jaws on the
Toolstaion offering above look far superior to the copy-cat strippers on
Ebay which cost £7 to £12.

Consider removing the red plastic wire length end stop and you may find
that you can strip thicker wires. I can strip the grey insulation from

The end stop on this one can be folded out of the way!

"5A" cable with ease and from 13A cable with some difficulty (the
stripping jaws are on limit for the size of the cable). With the outer
insulation on thick cable strip in multiple small lengths.

IMO the crimp function on the inside of the handles should only be used
as a last resort and proper ratchet crimp tools work much better.

The wire cutter blades on the handle side of the pivot will cut mains cable.

Wire strippers rbowman[_2_] Home Repair 3 June 11th 15 05:15 AM
Wire strippers gregz Home Repair 0 June 10th 15 05:30 AM
Wire strippers Uncle Monster[_2_] Home Repair 1 June 9th 15 07:37 PM
Thermal Wire Strippers tonkski[_2_] UK diy 3 July 13th 10 03:58 AM
FA : Ends Tonight. Teledyne Thermal Wire Strippers & Weller WTL1000 Oly Electronics Repair 0 November 24th 03 04:19 PM