Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline

Default Automatic wire strippers

On 2019-05-20, alan_m wrote:

On 20/05/2019 17:09, Adam Funk wrote:
I was thinking of getting an automatic wire stripper & came across
this on sale for £14.

https://www.toolstation.com/ck-automatic-wire-stripper/p42984

Are they any good?

Thanks,
Adam

This type do work well and CK are/were considered a good brand.

I have a similar CK stripper but on my 15+ year old version the cutting
jaws are slightly different. However the gripping/stripping jaws on the
Toolstaion offering above look far superior to the copy-cat strippers on
Ebay which cost £7 to £12.

Thanks (and to everyone else who answered).

Consider removing the red plastic wire length end stop and you may find
that you can strip thicker wires. I can strip the grey insulation from
"5A" cable with ease and from 13A cable with some difficulty (the
stripping jaws are on limit for the size of the cable). With the outer
insulation on thick cable strip in multiple small lengths.

IMO the crimp function on the inside of the handles should only be used
as a last resort and proper ratchet crimp tools work much better.

Yes, in some ways I wish they didn't put crimping slots in tools like
this, because it tempts people to use them.

The wire cutter blades on the handle side of the pivot will cut mains cable.