Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mattress/bed

I have here a rather nice old Dutch bed. Unfortunately, it seems to be
intended for a mattress of 115 cm width - the exact width available for
the mattress is 115.5 cm - I presume that such a thing used to be made.

Needless to say it seems to be impossible to find sprung mattresses in
that width (I have found a company that makes custom-sized foam
mattresses).

How exactly do mattresses need to fit? Would a 110 cm mattress be
visibly too narrow (I think it would)?

Thanks,

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2019 18:36, D.M. Procida wrote:
I have here a rather nice old Dutch bed. Unfortunately, it seems to be
intended for a mattress of 115 cm width - the exact width available for
the mattress is 115.5 cm - I presume that such a thing used to be made.

Needless to say it seems to be impossible to find sprung mattresses in
that width (I have found a company that makes custom-sized foam
mattresses).

How exactly do mattresses need to fit? Would a 110 cm mattress be
visibly too narrow (I think it would)?

In old money, that's a inch either side and a gap of 2.5% of the width.
An underblanket would swallow some of that space.

Are you going to lie there loosing sleep on it? :-p

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2019 19:39, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Are you going to lie there loosing sleep on it? :-P

Heaven forfend, you hold tight on that sleep and put it on a lead y'hear?

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2019 18:36, D.M. Procida wrote:
I have here a rather nice old Dutch bed. Unfortunately, it seems to be
intended for a mattress of 115 cm width - the exact width available for
the mattress is 115.5 cm - I presume that such a thing used to be made.

Needless to say it seems to be impossible to find sprung mattresses in
that width (I have found a company that makes custom-sized foam
mattresses).

How exactly do mattresses need to fit? Would a 110 cm mattress be
visibly too narrow (I think it would)?

Thanks,

Daniele

Might get away with it if one side is placed next to a wall. You could
make a suitable "filler" with foam, or a fibre filled custom bolster.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 6:36:46 PM UTC+1, D.M. Procida wrote:
I have here a rather nice old Dutch bed. Unfortunately, it seems to be
intended for a mattress of 115 cm width - the exact width available for
the mattress is 115.5 cm - I presume that such a thing used to be made.

Needless to say it seems to be impossible to find sprung mattresses in
that width (I have found a company that makes custom-sized foam
mattresses).

How exactly do mattresses need to fit? Would a 110 cm mattress be
visibly too narrow (I think it would)?

Given that it's going to be an ongoing headache for you and subsequent owners, is there any possibility of narrowing the bedframe/headboard without ruining it?

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 23 April 2019 18:36:46 UTC+1, D.M. Procida wrote:
Needless to say it seems to be impossible to find sprung mattresses in
that width (I have found a company that makes custom-sized foam
mattresses).

A quick google suggests quite a few places will make a custom size spring mattress

eg

https://www.oddmattress.co.uk/price-...tress-pricing/

Custom width is the next size up + 10% for reduction, custom length +20%.

"Sprung mattresses are usually increased or decreased in size by removing rows of springs from a mattress. Due to this custom sized beds with springs are usually increased or decreased by the dimension of a springs width. On average this is 75cm (3€³)."

https://www.prestigebeds.co.uk/2017/...tom-size-beds/

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2019 19:39, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Are you going to lie there loosing sleep on it? :-P

Heaven forfend, you hold tight on that sleep and put it on a lead y'hear?

lol

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2019 18:36, D.M. Procida wrote:
I have here a rather nice old Dutch bed. Unfortunately, it seems to be
intended for a mattress of 115 cm width - the exact width available for
the mattress is 115.5 cm - I presume that such a thing used to be made.

Needless to say it seems to be impossible to find sprung mattresses in
that width (I have found a company that makes custom-sized foam
mattresses).

How exactly do mattresses need to fit? Would a 110 cm mattress be
visibly too narrow (I think it would)?

If by "Dutch bed" you mean a bed in a cupboard then I'd agree that a
smaller mattress would be fine with the at the back filled by something
- foam, box to provide a shelf/storage, etc.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:

I have here a rather nice old Dutch bed.

If by "Dutch bed" you mean a bed in a cupboard then I'd agree that a
smaller mattress would be fine with the at the back filled by something
- foam, box to provide a shelf/storage, etc.

Ah no - it's a mid-century tubular steel frame.

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at 6:27:11 AM UTC+1, D.M. Procida wrote:
Robin wrote:

I have here a rather nice old Dutch bed.

If by "Dutch bed" you mean a bed in a cupboard then I'd agree that a
smaller mattress would be fine with the at the back filled by something
- foam, box to provide a shelf/storage, etc.

Ah no - it's a mid-century tubular steel frame.

Steel can be cut and welded. ;-) A picture would be helpful.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:

I have here a rather nice old Dutch bed.

If by "Dutch bed" you mean a bed in a cupboard then I'd agree that a
smaller mattress would be fine with the at the back filled by something
- foam, box to provide a shelf/storage, etc.

Ah no - it's a mid-century tubular steel frame.

Steel can be cut and welded. ;-) A picture would be helpful.

Indeed. We need to know that the bed is authentically "Dutch" in order
to avoid recommending culturally inappropriate mattresses

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
I have here a rather nice old Dutch bed. Unfortunately, it seems to be
intended for a mattress of 115 cm width - the exact width available for
the mattress is 115.5 cm - I presume that such a thing used to be made.

Needless to say it seems to be impossible to find sprung mattresses in
that width (I have found a company that makes custom-sized foam
mattresses).

How exactly do mattresses need to fit? Would a 110 cm mattress be
visibly too narrow (I think it would)?

Thanks,

Daniele

ieeka makes funny size mattresses.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:

I have here a rather nice old Dutch bed.

If by "Dutch bed" you mean a bed in a cupboard then I'd agree that a
smaller mattress would be fine with the at the back filled by something
- foam, box to provide a shelf/storage, etc.

Ah no - it's a mid-century tubular steel frame.

Steel can be cut and welded. ;-) A picture would be helpful.

Indeed. We need to know that the bed is authentically "Dutch" in order
to avoid recommending culturally inappropriate mattresses

Shouldn't that be mattri?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2019 19:36, D.M. Procida wrote:
I have here a rather nice old Dutch bed. Unfortunately, it seems to be
intended for a mattress of 115 cm width - the exact width available for
the mattress is 115.5 cm - I presume that such a thing used to be made.

Needless to say it seems to be impossible to find sprung mattresses in
that width (I have found a company that makes custom-sized foam
mattresses).

How exactly do mattresses need to fit? Would a 110 cm mattress be
visibly too narrow (I think it would)?

Thanks,

Daniele

Try Ikea. There matteresses, or at least some of them, have a drop down
size selection option which covers UK double, king, and 'European'
sizes. We used it to by one for over cab bed in our previous motorhome.

--
Always smile when walking, you never know where there is a camera ;-)

Remarkable Coincidences:
The Stock Market Crashes of 1929 and 2008 happened on the same
date in October. In Oct 1907, a run on the Knickerbocker Trust
Company led to the Great Depression.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 23/04/2019 19:39, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 23/04/2019 18:36, D.M. Procida wrote:
I have here a rather nice old Dutch bed. Unfortunately, it seems to be
intended for a mattress of 115 cm width - the exact width available for
the mattress is 115.5 cm - I presume that such a thing used to be made.

Needless to say it seems to be impossible to find sprung mattresses in
that width (I have found a company that makes custom-sized foam
mattresses).

How exactly do mattresses need to fit? Would a 110 cm mattress be
visibly too narrow (I think it would)?

In old money, that's a inch either side and a gap of 2.5% of the width.
An underblanket would swallow some of that space.

Are you going to lie there loosing sleep on it? :-p

Not if it's fast one.

--
Adam