Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Fireplace in a shed?!

I came across a shed today, 8x6m, brick built, with a slate roof, and a chimney! Not a boiler or wood burning stove type thing, but a traditional brick chimney. Any idea as to why someone would do that? It was seperate from the house, by a distance of about 8m.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Mar 2019 15:45:10 -0000
"Commander Kinsey" wrote:

I came across a shed today, 8x6m, brick built, with a slate roof, and
a chimney! Not a boiler or wood burning stove type thing, but a
traditional brick chimney. Any idea as to why someone would do
that? It was seperate from the house, by a distance of about 8m.

That was where they heated the water in a big tub called a copper to do
the laundry. As recently as the 1920s, apparently, as a house I lived in
had one, and my mum remembered using one. When washing machines and
domestic hot water arrived the coppers were removed but the chimneys
remained.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 04/03/2019 15:45, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I came across a shed today, 8x6m, brick built, with a slate roof, and a
chimney!* Not a boiler or wood burning stove type thing, but a
traditional brick chimney.* Any idea as to why someone would do that?
It was seperate from the house, by a distance of about 8m.

Enthusiastic woodworkers often burn offcuts to keep their workshops
warmer in winter. Brick built stack is a bit OTT but if they are
building the rest out of bricks, they might choose to use all bricks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news I came across a shed today, 8x6m, brick built, with a slate roof, and a
chimney! Not a boiler or wood burning stove type thing, but a traditional
brick chimney. Any idea as to why someone would do that? It was seperate
from the house, by a distance of about 8m.

Oh to be young....tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Commander Kinsey" wrote:

I came across a shed today, 8x6m, brick built, with a slate roof, and
a chimney! Not a boiler or wood burning stove type thing, but a
traditional brick chimney. Any idea as to why someone would do
that? It was seperate from the house, by a distance of about 8m.

That was where they heated the water in a big tub called a copper to do
the laundry. As recently as the 1920s, apparently, as a house I lived in
had one, and my mum remembered using one. When washing machines and
domestic hot water arrived the coppers were removed but the chimneys
remained.

Ah, I knew about coppers (for taking a bath in), but I thought they were filled from kettles on stoves in the kitchen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Mar 2019 16:18:56 -0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

On 04/03/2019 15:45, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I came across a shed today, 8x6m, brick built, with a slate roof, and a
chimney! Not a boiler or wood burning stove type thing, but a
traditional brick chimney. Any idea as to why someone would do that?
It was seperate from the house, by a distance of about 8m.

Enthusiastic woodworkers often burn offcuts to keep their workshops
warmer in winter. Brick built stack is a bit OTT but if they are
building the rest out of bricks, they might choose to use all bricks.

This shed had a slate roof so was either very old, or as you say built by an enthusiast.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Mar 2019 16:31:58 -0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news I came across a shed today, 8x6m, brick built, with a slate roof, and a
chimney! Not a boiler or wood burning stove type thing, but a traditional
brick chimney. Any idea as to why someone would do that? It was seperate
from the house, by a distance of about 8m.

Oh to be young....tee hee

I'm 43 you know! (Shakes walking stick)
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
I came across a shed today, 8x6m, brick built, with a slate roof, and a
chimney! Not a boiler or wood burning stove type thing, but a traditional
brick chimney. Any idea as to why someone would do that? It was seperate
from the house, by a distance of about 8m.

Presumably it's used as a workshop and it's handy
to be able to warm it in winter or rent it out etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default CAUTION!!! Birdbrain, the Abnormal Pathological Attention Whore, Strikes, AGAIN!

On Mon, 04 Mar 2019 15:45:10 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson",
"Steven ******","Bruce Farquar", "Fred Johnson, etc.), the pathological
resident idiot and attention whore of all the uk ngs, blathered again:

FLUSH the sociopathic attention whore's latest idiotic attention-baiting
bull**** unread again

--
about Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL)
trolling:

--
ItsJoanNotJoann addressing Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"You're an annoying troll and I'm done with you and your

--
AndyW addressing Birdbrain:
"Troll or idiot?...

--
Phil Lee adressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are too stupid to be wasting oxygen."

--
Tony944 addressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I seen and heard many people but you are on top of list being first class

--
Pelican to Birdbrain Macaw:
"Ok. I'm persuaded . You are an idiot."

--
DerbyDad03 addressing Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"Frigging Idiot. Get the hell out of my thread."

--
Kerr Mudd-John about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"It's like arguing with a demented frog."

--
Mr Pounder Esquire about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"the **** poor delivery boy with no hot running water, 11 cats and

--
Rob Morley about Birdbrain:
"He's a perennial idiot"

--
JoeyDee to Birdbrain
"I apologize for thinking you were a jerk. You're just someone with an IQ

--
Sam Plusnet about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson Sword" LOL):
"He's just desperate to be noticed. Any attention will do, no matter how

--
asking Birdbrain:
"What, were you dropped on your head as a child?"

--
Christie addressing endlessly driveling Birdbrain Macaw (now "James
Wilkinson" LOL):

--
Mr Pounder's fitting description of Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are a well known fool, a tosser, a pillock, a stupid unemployable

--
Richard to pathetic ****** Hucker:
"You haven't bred?

--
about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
""not the sharpest knife in the drawer"'s parents sure made a serious

--
Mr Pounder exposing sociopathic Birdbrain:
"You will always be a lonely sociopath living in a ******** with no hot

--
francis about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"He seems to have a reputation as someone of limited intelligence"

--
Peter Moylan about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"If people like JWS didn't exist, we would have to find some other way to

--
Lewis about nym-shifting Birdbrain:
"Typical narcissist troll, thinks his **** is so grand he has the right to
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 16:06:07 +0000, Rob Morley, another mentally deficient,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, driveled again:

had one, and my mum remembered using one. When washing machines and
domestic hot water arrived the coppers were removed but the chimneys
remained.

They ALSO seem to have removed parts of your brain, troll-feeding senile
idiot!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 16:18:56 +0000, Bob Minchin, another brain damaged,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

warmer in winter. Brick built stack is a bit OTT but if they are
building the rest out of bricks, they might choose to use all bricks.

The fact is that BOTH of you are as thick as a brick!
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 16:31:58 -0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... another brain damaged,
troll-feeding senile idiot, babbled:

Oh to be young....tee hee

Oh, to be an attention-starved troll on one hand, and a troll-feeding senile
asshole on the other hand, eh, senile idiot? BG
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rot Speed!

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 03:57:22 +1100, Jac Brown, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

Presumably it's used as a workshop and it's handy
to be able to warm it in winter or rent it out etc.

Are you afraid you are in the TROLL's killfile, "Jac Brown", you senile
troll-feeding sick asshole from Oz? LMAO

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 04/03/2019 15:45, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I came across a shed today, 8x6m, brick built, with a slate roof, and a
chimney!* Not a boiler or wood burning stove type thing, but a
traditional brick chimney.* Any idea as to why someone would do that?
It was seperate from the house, by a distance of about 8m.

Enthusiastic woodworkers often burn offcuts to keep their workshops
warmer in winter. Brick built stack is a bit OTT but if they are
building the rest out of bricks, they might choose to use all bricks.

This shed had a slate roof so was either very old, or as you say built
by an enthusiast.

My 30 sqm workshop has a slate roof over concrete blocks clad with
timber mainly for appearance. No heating needed as it is very well
insulated and comfortable to work in all year round.
I think I fit into the "enthusiast" group too or maybe that is OCD?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

That is correct, My old grans house had one and even when I was a kid in
Wandsworth the flat we had had one and we used to bath in a tin bath filled
from jugs from the copper.
It was great fun watching my parents trying to lift the tin bath to the
drain to tip the water away as well.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Commander Kinsey" wrote:

I came across a shed today, 8x6m, brick built, with a slate roof, and
a chimney! Not a boiler or wood burning stove type thing, but a
traditional brick chimney. Any idea as to why someone would do
that? It was seperate from the house, by a distance of about 8m.

That was where they heated the water in a big tub called a copper to do
the laundry. As recently as the 1920s, apparently, as a house I lived in
had one, and my mum remembered using one. When washing machines and
domestic hot water arrived the coppers were removed but the chimneys
remained.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 04/03/2019 15:45, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I came across a shed today, 8x6m, brick built, with a slate roof, and a
chimney! Not a boiler or wood burning stove type thing, but a
traditional brick chimney. Any idea as to why someone would do that?
It was seperate from the house, by a distance of about 8m.
Enthusiastic woodworkers often burn offcuts to keep their workshops
warmer in winter. Brick built stack is a bit OTT but if they are
building the rest out of bricks, they might choose to use all bricks.

This shed had a slate roof so was either very old, or as you say built
by an enthusiast.

My 30 sqm workshop has a slate roof over concrete blocks clad with
timber mainly for appearance. No heating needed as it is very well
insulated and comfortable to work in all year round.
I think I fit into the "enthusiast" group too or maybe that is OCD?

How can insulation provide heat?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news I came across a shed today, 8x6m, brick built, with a slate roof, and a
chimney! Not a boiler or wood burning stove type thing, but a
traditional
brick chimney. Any idea as to why someone would do that? It was
seperate
from the house, by a distance of about 8m.

Oh to be young....tee hee

I'm 43 you know! (Shakes walking stick)

Oh well you won't remember, like I do my mother boiling up in the washouse
to the rear of the tenement flat we lived in to do the weekly wash ......And
I demolished hundreds of dangerous ones over the years before I retired
.........sand lime mortar ...they just fell down on their own not much help
required......

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news I came across a shed today, 8x6m, brick built, with a slate roof, and a
chimney! Not a boiler or wood burning stove type thing, but a
traditional
brick chimney. Any idea as to why someone would do that? It was
seperate
from the house, by a distance of about 8m.

Oh to be young....tee hee

I'm 43 you know! (Shakes walking stick)

Oh well you won't remember, like I do my mother boiling up in the washouse
to the rear of the tenement flat we lived in to do the weekly wash
......And I demolished hundreds of dangerous ones over the years before I
retired ........sand lime mortar ...they just fell down on their own not
much help required......

the good old days.....no washing machine....no 'fridge......town gas mantle
in the scullery ....stairhead cludgies ..........

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

....stairhead cludgies ..........

newspaper torn into squares on hairy string ......wooden cludgy seats
........no hot water

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
% % is offline

wrote:

[...]

you're nearly describing how i live
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

People throw them away nowadays. I have THREE fridge freezers which I got for nowt on freecycle in the space of a month. If I wanted to, I could get about 15 sofas. WTF are people doing? Buying new furniture when the old stuff looks like new?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 2019-03-04 11:13 a.m., Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Mon, 04 Mar 2019 16:31:58 -0000, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

[...]

good man .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

yes I cringe when I visit the dump...unbelievable what people throw
away....... I have only recently stopped cutting 13a plugs off appliances
that have died ..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 4 March 2019 18:22:42 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
People throw them away nowadays. I have THREE fridge freezers which
I got for nowt on freecycle in the space of a month. If I wanted to,
I could get about 15 sofas. WTF are people doing? Buying new furniture
when the old stuff looks like new?

They're throwing away old stuff which still looks new, so they can buy some new stuff that looks old.

Personally, I'm very pleased I bought all my 1970s teak lounge furniture when it was cheap and unfashionable. It's coming back in again.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Monday, 4 March 2019 18:22:42 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
People throw them away nowadays. I have THREE fridge freezers which
I got for nowt on freecycle in the space of a month. If I wanted to,
I could get about 15 sofas. WTF are people doing? Buying new furniture
when the old stuff looks like new?

They're throwing away old stuff which still looks new, so they can buy
some new stuff that looks old.

Personally, I'm very pleased I bought all my 1970s teak lounge furniture
when it was cheap and unfashionable. It's coming back in again.

Owain

but will you live long enough for your coloured bathroom suit to be in again
? ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Nowadays they have these bloody moulded ones you can't reuse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have an almost complete dinner set someone dumped. They did realise it was useful, as instead of putting it in the skip, they placed it beside it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Mar 2019 18:40:21 -0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

wrote in message
On Monday, 4 March 2019 18:22:42 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
People throw them away nowadays. I have THREE fridge freezers which
I got for nowt on freecycle in the space of a month. If I wanted to,
I could get about 15 sofas. WTF are people doing? Buying new furniture
when the old stuff looks like new?

They're throwing away old stuff which still looks new, so they can buy
some new stuff that looks old.

Personally, I'm very pleased I bought all my 1970s teak lounge furniture
when it was cheap and unfashionable. It's coming back in again.

Owain

but will you live long enough for your coloured bathroom suit to be in again
? ....

My bathroom suite is different colours, since some got broken. A pet parrot dropped a glass of orange juice into the sink and cracked it. My bath was damaged when I tried to destroy a 2 inch spider which was crawling in it. I may have been a bit too violent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

yes I got a complete set of new white hotel wear I use at the caravan
.......those calor gas bottles are tempting

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
% % is offline

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Commander Kinsey" wrote:

I came across a shed today, 8x6m, brick built, with a slate roof, and
a chimney! Not a boiler or wood burning stove type thing, but a
traditional brick chimney. Any idea as to why someone would do
that? It was seperate from the house, by a distance of about 8m.

That was where they heated the water in a big tub called a copper to do
the laundry. As recently as the 1920s, apparently, as a house I lived in
had one, and my mum remembered using one. When washing machines and
domestic hot water arrived the coppers were removed but the chimneys
remained.

around here years back there would often be a "summer kitchen"
detatched from the house. Or it could have been a shop with a forge -
or a bakery - or a butcher shop with a smoke-house - 8X6 meters is a
pretty good sized out-building - almost the size of my house - - -

I have made an error, I meant 8x6 feet! We use feet and metres in the UK....
This is why I was confused as to them having a fireplace in such a small building.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Mar 2019 18:49:26 -0000, Clare Snyder wrote:

wrote:

On 04/03/2019 15:45, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I came across a shed today, 8x6m, brick built, with a slate roof, and a
chimney! Not a boiler or wood burning stove type thing, but a
traditional brick chimney. Any idea as to why someone would do that?
It was seperate from the house, by a distance of about 8m.
Enthusiastic woodworkers often burn offcuts to keep their workshops
warmer in winter. Brick built stack is a bit OTT but if they are
building the rest out of bricks, they might choose to use all bricks.

This shed had a slate roof so was either very old, or as you say built
by an enthusiast.

My 30 sqm workshop has a slate roof over concrete blocks clad with
timber mainly for appearance. No heating needed as it is very well
insulated and comfortable to work in all year round.
I think I fit into the "enthusiast" group too or maybe that is OCD?

I can GUARANTEE you it wouldn't be comfortable to work in here today
without some sort of heat sourse!!!!

Get a young lad to cuddle you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Mon, 04 Mar 2019 18:13:26 -0000, Jim GM4DHJ ...

wrote:

[...]

Somebody threw away calor gas bottles?! You can return them for money can't you?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 17:44:16 +0000, Bob Minchin, the brain damaged,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered again:

My 30 sqm workshop has a slate roof over concrete blocks clad with
timber mainly for appearance. No heating needed as it is very well
insulated and comfortable to work in all year round.
I think I fit into the "enthusiast" group too or maybe that is OCD?

You CERTAINLY fit in the troll-feeding senile idiot category, senile idiot!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 18:08:44 -0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... the brain damaged,
troll-feeding senile idiot, babbled:

to the rear of the tenement flat we lived in to do the weekly wash ......And
I demolished hundreds of dangerous ones over the years before I retired
........sand lime mortar ...they just fell down on their own not much help
required......

Just a troll needed to tell him your senile bull**** stories, eh,
troll-feeding senile idiot? BG
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 18:37:22 -0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... the brain damaged,
troll-feeding senile idiot, babbled:

away....... I have only recently stopped cutting 13a plugs off appliances
that have died ..

But you HAVEN'T yet stopped sucking off the filthiest troll around, senile
idiot! BG
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 18:52:49 -0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... another brain damaged,
troll-feeding senile idiot, babbled:

yes I got a complete set of new white hotel wear I use at the caravan
......those calor gas bottles are tempting

....as tempting as the troll's cock that you keep sucking off, time and
again, senile idiot? BG
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I provide the heat from manual work and several of the machines are 3hp
or so. It rarely drops below 10C over night.
My preferences would be for female company as it happens.