Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Bob Minchin[_4_] Bob Minchin[_4_] is offline

Default Fireplace in a shed?!

On 04/03/2019 17:58, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 04 Mar 2019 17:44:16 -0000, Bob Minchin
wrote:

On 04/03/2019 16:56, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 04 Mar 2019 16:18:56 -0000, Bob Minchin
wrote:

On 04/03/2019 15:45, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I came across a shed today, 8x6m, brick built, with a slate roof,
and a
chimney!* Not a boiler or wood burning stove type thing, but a
traditional brick chimney.* Any idea as to why someone would do that?
It was seperate from the house, by a distance of about 8m.
Enthusiastic woodworkers often burn offcuts to keep their workshops
warmer in winter. Brick built stack is a bit OTT but if they are
building the rest out of bricks, they might choose to use all bricks.

This shed had a slate roof so was either very old, or as you say built
by an enthusiast.

My 30 sqm workshop has a slate roof over concrete blocks clad with
timber mainly for appearance. No heating needed as it is very well
insulated and comfortable to work in all year round.
I think I fit into the "enthusiast" group too or maybe that is OCD?

How can insulation provide heat?

I provide the heat from manual work and several of the machines are 3hp
or so. It rarely drops below 10C over night.
My preferences would be for female company as it happens.