Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

Default Gas fireplace (where there is no fireplace)

Idle question while I'm house hunting. My current row house has a wood
burning fireplace that I have literally never used - I don't want to
deal with lighting a fire and then worrying about it when I want to go
upstairs (and trust me, I'm a worrier). However I do like the *look* of
the fireplace.

I've looked at several houses recently, and thought that if they had
regular fp's I might convert that to gas since I like the idea of being
able to turn it on and off. But some of the houses don't have any fp's
at all. Is it possible to put a decent looking "after market" fireplace
in a house, without having to do a major renovation? Something that
doesn't look like the "fireplace in a box" things that they sell on HSN?
I wouldn't be using it for heating a house (except maybe if there was a
power outage), but as a supplemental heater, sort of like a pretty space
heater.

I guess I'd entertain the idea of electric as well if they look decent.
The last electric one I saw quite a while ago was only a step above a
fan with orange tissue paper!

I haven't even gone to look at any yet. Just thought I'd ask here to see
if this is even practical to consider, or to find out what I should look
for if I go looking.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Take a ride to a local fireplace dealer. There are plenty of free standing
gas and propane units that look better than anything electric.
http://www.vermontcastings.com/content/fireplaces/

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/16/2007 1:22 PM Lee said the following:
[...]

I have a propane fireplace in my "4 Seasons" sunroom, just for a little
extra heat in the winter. Most times it is off, except for early morning
before the sun warms the room up (it is on the south side of the house).
I bought the fireplace insert and the wooden surround at Lowes ( I think
the whole thing cost me $1200). I elected for a vent free unit since the
fireplace is up against the original house wall (the propane clothes
dryer is right behind the fireplace wall and it was easy to connect the
propane. There was no way I could vent it without major renovations, and
I didn't want a vent pipe going through the all aluminum sunroom roof
and up alongside the siding of the two story house, then through the
roof overhang. I did mount a smoke/carbon monoxide detector in the sunroom.

I'm anticipating some negative responses, so for the other readers:.
We've had it for 4 years now and no one died, so save the dire warnings.
If I could have vented it, I would have.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lee wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Gas FP insert is common. Hope it'll be easier for you to run gas line
and power to it. Even there is remote control for gas FP(on and off, fan
control)

Fireplace Insert..Ideas on how to clean up fireplace area...Help...Ideas.... Solomon_Man Home Repair 0 July 6th 06 09:38 PM
Fireplace m Ransley Home Repair 8 December 29th 05 07:09 PM
To fireplace or not to fireplace... (repair or remove) Dan_Musicant Home Repair 8 September 29th 05 02:51 PM
gas fireplace [email protected] Home Ownership 4 August 13th 05 10:01 PM
Gas Fireplace Corinne Home Repair 2 September 8th 04 02:54 PM