Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Default Fireplace

Can a wood burning fireplace retrofitted years ago with Ng logs burn
wood by just removing the fake logs and leaving the gas burners inplace.
I would cover the burners wih sheet aluminum. The gas valve is far
enough outside the fireplace front.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The integrity of the chimney may have been adversely affected during
the retrofit or during the passage of time. I would definitely have a
qualified chimney expert (see yellow pages) do an evaluation.

Additionally, the heat from the wood burning may be too much for the
new gas tubing. Be very careful.

Hope this helps,

John Churchill
Builder/Instructor at Emory University
Author of www.renovation101.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Can a wood burning fireplace retrofitted years ago with Ng logs burn
wood by just removing the fake logs and leaving the gas burners inplace.
I would cover the burners wih sheet aluminum. The gas valve is far
enough outside the fireplace front.

Interesting thought. I would be concerned about the height of the wood and
the draw of the fire the sheet metal would change.

I guess if you removed the fake logs it would not be a problem providing the
fireplace is set up for wood in the first place.

They sell gas matches for wood fireplaces. Your gas log is not all that
much different.

Try a small one and let us know.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

I wonder if it would affect-ruin the gas piping from high heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"m Ransley" wrote in message ...
Can a wood burning fireplace retrofitted years ago with Ng logs burn
wood by just removing the fake logs and leaving the gas burners inplace.
I would cover the burners wih sheet aluminum. The gas valve is far
enough outside the fireplace front.

The aluminum might last one fire if you're lucky.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

m Ransley wrote:

Can a wood burning fireplace retrofitted years ago with Ng logs burn
wood by just removing the fake logs and leaving the gas burners inplace.
I would cover the burners wih sheet aluminum...

Aluminum melts at about 1220 F. The ecofire site says the hottest glowing
parts of a wood fire are about 1200 F. Steel melts at about 2500 F...

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"m Ransley" wrote in message
I wonder if it would affect-ruin the gas piping from high heat.

Last gas log I installed I put the black iron pipe low into the fire box.
It was covered with the vermiculite.
You stated the gas valve is outside the fire box. WAG, if your
fires are small and they do not reach the temp of melting the pipe, probably
not. WAG

Be careful out there.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CDET 14

Why not take the gas pipe out and cap it off? Also, have a Certified
Chimney Sweep with a camera system inspect your flue. They are
knowledgable in these matters.