Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cable grip in back box

I got a 2 gang surface mount back box the other day that had cable grips
in it, which I thought was a good idea.

But it only had two, and they weren't opposite but one on the side and
the other top (or bottom).
Has anyone any idea why this would be? Why not fit them on all four sides?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 February 2019 17:15:09 UTC, R D S wrote:
I got a 2 gang surface mount back box the other day that had cable grips
in it, which I thought was a good idea.
But it only had two, and they weren't opposite but one on the side and
the other top (or bottom).
Has anyone any idea why this would be? Why not fit them on all four sides?

For a cooker switch with an outlet cable, probably. Cable grips take up space, and cost the manufacturer money, so they don't fit four. Only one will be likely to be required.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
I got a 2 gang surface mount back box the other day that had cable grips
in it, which I thought was a good idea.

Really? If there's a chance the cable could be put under strain, shouldn't
it be protected from that by conduit, etc?

No. They are standard pattresses for cooker units. Two grips at
different positions, but only one to be used, depending upon required
orientation. The cable to be secured will be the flexible one to the
cooker and needs to be capable of movement to allow cleaning behind.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2019 17:15, R D S wrote:
I got a 2 gang surface mount back box the other day that had cable grips
in it, which I thought was a good idea.

But it only had two, and they weren't opposite but one on the side and
the other top (or bottom).
Has anyone any idea why this would be? Why not fit them on all four sides?

Oddly, I ventured into my 'loft stock' (bits bought and not used) the
other day for a back box (single) and found a new one which also had a
cable grip. I don't recall buying it, nor was the bag market as having a
grip etc and I don't recall seeing one before. Grips on the rear of a
face plate for fused/switched flex outlets yes but not on the back box.

--
Always smile when walking, you never know where there is a camera ;-)

Remarkable Coincidences:
The Stock Market Crashes of 1929 and 2008 happened on the same
date in October. In Oct 1907, a run on the Knickerbocker Trust
Company led to the Great Depression.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2019 17:32, wrote:

For a cooker switch with an outlet cable, probably.

Ah, makes sense. Cheers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
In article ,
R D S wrote:
I got a 2 gang surface mount back box the other day that had cable grips
in it, which I thought was a good idea.

Really? If there's a chance the cable could be put under strain, shouldn't
it be protected from that by conduit, etc?

No. They are standard pattresses for cooker units. Two grips at
different positions, but only one to be used, depending upon required
orientation. The cable to be secured will be the flexible one to the
cooker and needs to be capable of movement to allow cleaning behind.

Ah - got you. So not a 'normal' back box? But just as easy to add a cable
clamp to an ordinary one, as to source a special for just that job.

--
*I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
In article ,
R D S wrote:
I got a 2 gang surface mount back box the other day that had cable grips
in it, which I thought was a good idea.

Really? If there's a chance the cable could be put under strain, shouldn't
it be protected from that by conduit, etc?

No. They are standard pattresses for cooker units. Two grips at
different positions, but only one to be used, depending upon required
orientation. The cable to be secured will be the flexible one to the
cooker and needs to be capable of movement to allow cleaning behind.

Ah - got you. So not a 'normal' back box? But just as easy to add a cable
clamp to an ordinary one, as to source a special for just that job.

They are also extra deep at 47mm to allow for terminating the thick and
unwieldy cable needed for a combined oven and hob. So yes they are not a
"normal" pattress, but they are a standard one for that specific job.
The cable clamp (often only a single one supplied) is usually a single
piece (plus screws) and relies on the other half of the clamp being a
mounded in section of the box.

For example:

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-2-Ga...-47mm/p/710034

SteveW

Slowly getting a grip on the back yard... Gunner Asch[_6_] Metalworking 21 June 30th 13 11:02 PM
How to fit electrical back box if there is no back?!? Steven Campbell UK diy 21 March 12th 11 12:24 PM
Two Barrel grip jigsaws: Which is best? Never Enough Money Woodworking 10 December 24th 04 09:56 PM
Mole grip spring nick smith UK diy 1 December 12th 04 01:38 PM
keyless chuck drill now does not grip , err jj3000 Metalworking 10 February 27th 04 06:51 PM