Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Condensing boilers in extreme cold weather

Watching the news last night the reports on the current cold affecting much of the USA showed several people demonstrating the extreme cold by throwing boiling water into air just to see it transformed into ice crystals immediately. I can see that in those circumstances a condensing boiler might have a few problems. I have seen icicles form on wire flue guards but never on the flue exit itself. Are we going to regret having condensing boilers when the next ice age comes?

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2019 17:07, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Watching the news last night the reports on the current cold affecting much of the USA showed several people demonstrating the extreme cold by throwing boiling water into air just to see it transformed into ice crystals immediately. I can see that in those circumstances a condensing boiler might have a few problems. I have seen icicles form on wire flue guards but never on the flue exit itself. Are we going to regret having condensing boilers when the next ice age comes?

If it's condensing properly there will be little water vapour escaping
through the flue.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 February 2019 22:59:14 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
On 01/02/2019 17:07, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Watching the news last night the reports on the current cold affecting much of the USA showed several people demonstrating the extreme cold by throwing boiling water into air just to see it transformed into ice crystals immediately. I can see that in those circumstances a condensing boiler might have a few problems. I have seen icicles form on wire flue guards but never on the flue exit itself. Are we going to regret having condensing boilers when the next ice age comes?

If it's condensing properly there will be little water vapour escaping
through the flue.

Heh, masses of it does.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2019 22:59, Max Demian wrote:
On 01/02/2019 17:07, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Watching the news last night the reports on the current cold affecting
much of the USA showed several people demonstrating the extreme cold
by throwing boiling water into air just to see it transformed into ice
crystals immediately. I can see that in those circumstances a
condensing boiler might have a few problems. I have seen icicles form
on wire flue guards but never on the flue exit itself. Are we going to
regret having condensing boilers when the next ice age comes?

If it's condensing properly there will be little water vapour escaping
through the flue.

But the plume will still be very visible on a cold day.

--
Email does not work

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater writes:
In article ,
Tricky Dicky wrote:

Watching the news last night the reports on the current cold affecting much of
the USA showed several people demonstrating the extreme cold by throwing
boiling water into air just to see it transformed into ice crystals
immediately. I can see that in those circumstances a condensing boiler might
have a few problems. I have seen icicles form on wire flue guards but never on
the flue exit itself. Are we going to regret having condensing boilers when
the next ice age comes?

I expect we'll be regretting a lot of things when the next ice age
comes - or, more accurately, when the present inter-glacial ends.

Inter-glacials end quite suddenly too, although we're probably not
quite at the peak yet. The Arctic vanished completely in the last
inter-glacial (broke up and the fragments floated south as they
melted). We're not quite there yet.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian writes:
On 01/02/2019 17:07, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Watching the news last night the reports on the current cold affecting much of the USA showed several people demonstrating the extreme cold by throwing boiling water into air just to see it transformed into ice crystals immediately. I can see that in those circumstances a condensing boiler might have a few problems. I have seen icicles form on wire flue guards but never on the flue exit itself. Are we going to regret having condensing boilers when the next ice age comes?

If it's condensing properly there will be little water vapour escaping
through the flue.

You are correct - it is mostly condensed into a dense mist as it exits
the flue.

I have not seen condensing boilers in the US.
Boilers are not common in any case, and the only ones I've seen look
like what we had in the 1950's/1960's. Electric water heating is much
more common than here.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2/2/2019 6:30 AM, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Andrew Gabriel

I have not seen condensing boilers in the US.
Boilers are not common in any case, and the only ones I've seen look
like what we had in the 1950's/1960's. Electric water heating is much
more common than here.

I had gas for water heating in California in the 80s. And a rather
dangerous gas appliance for heating, that I never quite got around to
replacing.

Every house I lived in, in NJ, had gas for hot water, with no connection
to the central heating, which was either gas or oil.
Out in the countryside, where mains gas is unavailable, electric water
heaters are fairly common, but I have seen some which use oil.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I have not seen condensing boilers in the US.
Boilers are not common in any case, and the only ones I've seen look
like what we had in the 1950's/1960's. Electric water heating is much
more common than here.

I watch videos from a couple of American builders, they seem to call
them "tankless heaters"

e.g. https://youtu.be/1hdk7cCztPo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater writes:
In article , Andrew Gabriel
wrote:

In article ,
Tim Streater writes:
In article ,
Tricky Dicky wrote:

[...]

Which appears to imply that the Artic will melt anyway, regardless of
what humanity may have done or may do in the future.

We don't know if it completely vanished in all previous inter-glacial
periods, be we do know it did in the last one. We even know the paths
the larger fragments took when they floated off, from the debris tails
they dropped out into the sea.

So yes, we need to plan for warming in any case, regardless if some of
it is man-made, because some of it isn't. Mind you, that's probably
nothing compared with what happens when the interglacial ends, as
historically it gets colder much faster than it got warmer.

--
Andrew Gabriel