Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Condensing boilers in extreme cold weather

In article ,
Tim Streater writes:
In article , Andrew Gabriel
wrote:

In article ,
Tim Streater writes:
In article ,
Tricky Dicky wrote:

Watching the news last night the reports on the current cold affecting much
of
the USA showed several people demonstrating the extreme cold by throwing
boiling water into air just to see it transformed into ice crystals
immediately. I can see that in those circumstances a condensing boiler might
have a few problems. I have seen icicles form on wire flue guards but never
on
the flue exit itself. Are we going to regret having condensing boilers when
the next ice age comes?

I expect we'll be regretting a lot of things when the next ice age
comes - or, more accurately, when the present inter-glacial ends.

Inter-glacials end quite suddenly too, although we're probably not
quite at the peak yet. The Arctic vanished completely in the last
inter-glacial (broke up and the fragments floated south as they
melted). We're not quite there yet.

Which appears to imply that the Artic will melt anyway, regardless of
what humanity may have done or may do in the future.

We don't know if it completely vanished in all previous inter-glacial
periods, be we do know it did in the last one. We even know the paths
the larger fragments took when they floated off, from the debris tails
they dropped out into the sea.

So yes, we need to plan for warming in any case, regardless if some of
it is man-made, because some of it isn't. Mind you, that's probably
nothing compared with what happens when the interglacial ends, as
historically it gets colder much faster than it got warmer.

--
Andrew Gabriel