Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recommendations for indoor paint?

The woodwork inside our house needs repainting -- we've been in the
house over 30 years, and I've only spasmodically repainted the woodwork
in bits and pieces. Some of it has never been painted since before we
moved in!

All of it (ALL of it!) is gloss white. Having tried acrylic a few
years ago, and also "one-coat", I'm still most comfortable with
undercoat and top coat ( Dulux Brilliant White).

Are there new products that I ought to try? The ranges in paint these
days are staggering.

Also, I might want to change one or two rooms to be a little more
colourful -- pastels, in what we used to call "silk" finish.

I thought I would ask here first because then I'd know where
to make a beeline, when I go a-browsing down the aisles.

Thanks for any advice!
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 5 January 2019 18:26:28 UTC, Another John wrote:

The woodwork inside our house needs repainting -- we've been in the
house over 30 years, and I've only spasmodically repainted the woodwork
in bits and pieces. Some of it has never been painted since before we
moved in!

All of it (ALL of it!) is gloss white. Having tried acrylic a few
years ago, and also "one-coat", I'm still most comfortable with
undercoat and top coat ( Dulux Brilliant White).

Are there new products

yes

that I ought to try?

definitely not. Water based gloss is junk compared to alkyd.

The ranges in paint these
days are staggering.

Also, I might want to change one or two rooms to be a little more
colourful -- pastels, in what we used to call "silk" finish.

if you mean the woodwork, the result of anything but gloss is it gets dirtier faster & is hard to clean up. That's why people use gloss.

I thought I would ask here first because then I'd know where
to make a beeline, when I go a-browsing down the aisles.

Thanks for any advice!
John

Dulux & Leyland are excellent quality, and somewhat different. Some folk also like Crown.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2019 18:26, Another John wrote:
The woodwork inside our house needs repainting -- we've been in the
house over 30 years, and I've only spasmodically repainted the woodwork
in bits and pieces. Some of it has never been painted since before we
moved in!

All of it (ALL of it!) is gloss white. Having tried acrylic a few
years ago, and also "one-coat", I'm still most comfortable with
undercoat and top coat ( Dulux Brilliant White).

Are there new products that I ought to try? The ranges in paint these
days are staggering.

Also, I might want to change one or two rooms to be a little more
colourful -- pastels, in what we used to call "silk" finish.

I thought I would ask here first because then I'd know where
to make a beeline, when I go a-browsing down the aisles.

Thanks for any advice!
John

Well I just rubbed downm hard with IIRC about 250 grit anmd applied
farrow and ball water based whatever.

Takes a long time to set really hard but it grips and the finish is good
esp. if rolled on.

I suspect its not the only decent paint around as well.

--
Of what good are dead warriors? €¦ Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
[...]

Fellow & Balls?

they've been cashing in on "perceived quality" for decades haven't
they? Iow bloody expensive & absolutely average.
All greenwash & yummy mummy...

Only time I see them mentioned is when people have ordered the
same colours at a mixing counter.

So far unmentioned I like johnstones paint
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2019 18:37, wrote:
On Saturday, 5 January 2019 18:26:28 UTC, Another John wrote:

The woodwork inside our house needs repainting -- we've been in the
house over 30 years, and I've only spasmodically repainted the woodwork
in bits and pieces. Some of it has never been painted since before we
moved in!

All of it (ALL of it!) is gloss white. Having tried acrylic a few
years ago, and also "one-coat", I'm still most comfortable with
undercoat and top coat ( Dulux Brilliant White).

Are there new products

yes

that I ought to try?

definitely not. Water based gloss is junk compared to alkyd.

I reckon the modern water based gloss is pretty good. This is for a
house originally full of children and now slightly less full of dogs. So
maybe my standards are a bit lower.

The ranges in paint these
days are staggering.

Also, I might want to change one or two rooms to be a little more
colourful -- pastels, in what we used to call "silk" finish.

if you mean the woodwork, the result of anything but gloss is it gets dirtier faster & is hard to clean up. That's why people use gloss.

I thought I would ask here first because then I'd know where
to make a beeline, when I go a-browsing down the aisles.

Thanks for any advice!
John

Dulux & Leyland are excellent quality, and somewhat different. Some folk also like Crown.

I'd pick on colour and perhaps price first (but forget budget stuff) and
then on supplier. I agree that Dulux and Crown are good, I've also been
happy with Leyland and Johnstones. Wickes and Screwfix trade stuff is OK
for walls and ceilings too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Another John writes:
The woodwork inside our house needs repainting -- we've been in the
house over 30 years, and I've only spasmodically repainted the woodwork
in bits and pieces. Some of it has never been painted since before we
moved in!

All of it (ALL of it!) is gloss white. Having tried acrylic a few
years ago, and also "one-coat", I'm still most comfortable with
undercoat and top coat ( Dulux Brilliant White).

Are there new products that I ought to try? The ranges in paint these
days are staggering.

Also, I might want to change one or two rooms to be a little more
colourful -- pastels, in what we used to call "silk" finish.

I thought I would ask here first because then I'd know where
to make a beeline, when I go a-browsing down the aisles.

I haven't done any of my own since you could still buy the high
volatiles (even if it meant asking the guy to climb up the shelving
and reach for the last few tins at the back).

I did help out a friend who had bought Dulux Once one-coat gloss.
It was brilliant white when we put it on, but had gone yellow a
few weeks later.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 5 January 2019 21:02:05 UTC, newshound wrote:
On 05/01/2019 18:37, tabbypurr wrote:

Dulux & Leyland are excellent quality, and somewhat different. Some folk also like Crown.

I'd pick on colour and perhaps price first (but forget budget stuff) and
then on supplier. I agree that Dulux and Crown are good, I've also been
happy with Leyland and Johnstones. Wickes and Screwfix trade stuff is OK
for walls and ceilings too.

I'd be wary of doing that. Too many paints now are not worth having for free. And if you buy Dulux, get it from dulux, not a diy shed. Leyland is much better value though.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd not say that the less than gloss are all a problem dirt wise, it really
depends how hard the surface is I used to find. I'd agree about acrylic. If
there is any slight chance that its going to get a lot of friction or damp
then don't use it. I'm still suffering from the problems painting a
banister with it gave me over 15 years ago. The last time the hallway got
painted it was just sanded a bit and had one of the well known one coat
glosses applied. All was well for some months then the gloss started to
bubble and fall off as damp had got under it and made the acrylic soft.

Bah Humbug.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K.. wrote:
[...]

+1 for Johnstones paints and regularly discounted in places like In-Excess

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/2019 11:00, Bob Minchin wrote:
they've been cashing in on "perceived quality" for decades haven't
Â* they? Iow bloody expensive & absolutely average.

Back in te day nearly 20 years ago when I painted this house they had a
range of colours no one else had and extremely matt emulsions. Plus a
LOT of pigment in the paint so it covered in less coats. It is also
pretty easy for an amateur to apply.

I went back to them because I was patching the old paint on places. So I
neede te sdame colurs.

The emulsion is a little less matt and the eggshell is now water based.
Not as good as te oil, but not bad.

Of course if you want vile modern 'pastel' colours you won't get them in
F & B.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 06/01/2019 11:00, Bob Minchin wrote:
they've been cashing in on "perceived quality" for decades haven't
they? Iow bloody expensive & absolutely average.

Back in te day nearly 20 years ago when I painted this house they had a
range of colours no one else had and extremely matt emulsions. Plus a
LOT of pigment in the paint so it covered in less coats. It is also
pretty easy for an amateur to apply.

It's paint!

I went back to them because I was patching the old paint on places. So I
neede te sdame colurs.

& 20 years on did they match?

--
Jim K