Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

Default Painting Question: Best Way To Paint Indoor Door so brushmarks areminimal

I have been painting for several years.. Whenever I paint indoor doors
(as well as outdoors) I just use a brush.. However, sometimes I am
getting unsightly brush strokes... What would be the best way to paint
a door?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"KOS" wrote in message
I have been painting for several years.. Whenever I paint indoor doors
(as well as outdoors) I just use a brush.. However, sometimes I am
getting unsightly brush strokes... What would be the best way to paint
a door?

Paint with the grain. Use a quality brush. Thin the paint a bit. Add
Penetrol to oil base paint or use the latex product (flow something) for
latex paint. Outside don't paint in direct sunlight.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 May 2010 09:54:40 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"KOS" wrote in message
I have been painting for several years.. Whenever I paint indoor doors
(as well as outdoors) I just use a brush.. However, sometimes I am
getting unsightly brush strokes... What would be the best way to paint
a door?

Paint with the grain. Use a quality brush. Thin the paint a bit. Add
Penetrol to oil base paint or use the latex product (flow something) for
latex paint. Outside don't paint in direct sunlight.

Don't "over brush". The paint has to be wet to self-level.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 8:45*am, KOS wrote:
I have been painting for several years.. Whenever I paint indoor doors
(as well as outdoors) I just use a brush.. However, sometimes I am
getting unsightly brush strokes... What would be the best way to paint
a door?

Those new rounded-end smooth foam rollers work great for doors. They
come in 6 inch or 3 inch widths, the diameter of these rollers is only
an inch or so (if looking in the store). If it is a panel door I
first do the panel insets/outsets with a sash brush. Then I do all
the remaining flat planes with the foam roller which leaves a perfect
untextured surface and cleans up the lap lines that the brush may have
made on the plane surfaces.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KOS wrote:
I have been painting for several years.. Whenever I paint indoor doors
(as well as outdoors) I just use a brush.. However, sometimes I am
getting unsightly brush strokes... What would be the best way to paint
a door?

Hmm,
What is wrong with good roller?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:
"KOS" wrote in message
I have been painting for several years.. Whenever I paint indoor doors
(as well as outdoors) I just use a brush.. However, sometimes I am
getting unsightly brush strokes... What would be the best way to paint
a door?

Paint with the grain. Use a quality brush. Thin the paint a bit. Add
Penetrol to oil base paint or use the latex product (flow something) for
latex paint. Outside don't paint in direct sunlight.

Colbyt

I've used little Preval sprayers for doors...louvered. They are an 8
oz. glass jar with air can/siphon that screws onto it. For a four
section louvered door, both sides, I probably used 8 cans of air. As
Colby suggested, use Penetrol or Floetrol (sp?) to thin the paint
slightly. I've used water to thin latex paint for use in the Preval
when I was too lazy to go to the paint store. For solid doors, I would
prefer to take them down and paint them flat. The louvered doors I sp.
painted had had a really lousy paint job previously...lots of drips on
the louvers and the doors had been upside-down when painted. I shaved
off the drips, sanded, primed..couldn't believe how nice they turned
out. I use Preval's for small paint jobs and craft stuff.

They have a small spray pattern, so they were perfect for louvered door.
Didn't have many runs with the thinned paint, but I kept a foam brush
with min. spirits handy to catch the runs before they started to dry. I
also used the Preval to paint our old range hood with Rustoleum enamel.
Slapped some newspaper on the cabinets and painted away...no drift
like a spray can.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 May 2010 11:12:46 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

KOS wrote:
I have been painting for several years.. Whenever I paint indoor doors
(as well as outdoors) I just use a brush.. However, sometimes I am
getting unsightly brush strokes... What would be the best way to paint
a door?

Hmm,
What is wrong with good roller?

Paint with a good latex paint and add some "
FloeTrol" to make the paint flow out better. Brush marks and roller
texture virtually disappear
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 May 2010 14:01:42 -0400, "
wrote:

Colbyt wrote:
"KOS" wrote in message
[...]

I'd revise that to 'LESS DRIFT THAN A SPRAY CAN"
Preval is an expensive way to paint though. I got a cheap touch-up gun
from Princess Auto (like Harbour Fright but in Canada) and use a small
compressor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped
I'd revise that to 'LESS DRIFT THAN A SPRAY CAN"
Preval is an expensive way to paint though. I got a cheap touch-up gun
from Princess Auto (like Harbour Fright but in Canada) and use a small
compressor.

Little or no drift. For the projects I have done, Preval is perfect.
No place to store spray equipment in our condo, no left-over spray cans.
With Preval sprayers, I can dispense just the amount and color needed,
so there is no waste. When I last bought refills, I think two refill
cans of air cost about $3. They clean up nicely and can be reused as
long as the air isn't gone. For a set of closet doors, I think I used
total 8 cans of air...primed, two coats of paint...so the spray
equipment cost, perhaps, $16?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 May 2010 21:24:51 -0400, "
wrote:

clipped
I'd revise that to 'LESS DRIFT THAN A SPRAY CAN"
Preval is an expensive way to paint though. I got a cheap touch-up gun
from Princess Auto (like Harbour Fright but in Canada) and use a small
compressor.

Little or no drift. For the projects I have done, Preval is perfect.
No place to store spray equipment in our condo, no left-over spray cans.
With Preval sprayers, I can dispense just the amount and color needed,
so there is no waste. When I last bought refills, I think two refill
cans of air cost about $3. They clean up nicely and can be reused as
long as the air isn't gone. For a set of closet doors, I think I used
total 8 cans of air...primed, two coats of paint...so the spray
equipment cost, perhaps, $16?

Last time I bougt Prevals up here they were about $4 EACH - and that
was quite a number of years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

On May 15, 10:04*pm, wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2010 21:24:51 -0400, "

wrote:
clipped
*I'd revise that to 'LESS DRIFT THAN A SPRAY CAN"
Preval is an expensive way to paint though. I got a cheap touch-up gun
from Princess Auto (like Harbour Fright but in Canada) and use a small
compressor.

Little or no drift. *For the projects I have done, Preval is perfect.
No place to store spray equipment in our condo, no left-over spray cans.
*With Preval sprayers, I can dispense just the amount and color needed,
so there is no waste. *When I last bought refills, I think two refill
cans of air cost about $3. *They clean up nicely and can be reused as
long as the air isn't gone. *For a set of closet doors, I think I used
total 8 cans of air...primed, two coats of paint...so the spray
equipment cost, perhaps, $16?

Last time I bougt Prevals up here they were about $4 EACH - and that
was quite a number of years ago.

im using benjamin moore paint with no vocs,aura or the other.. dont
know if you suggested to add floetrol
Posted to alt.home.repair

KOS wrote:
On May 15, 10:04 pm, wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2010 21:24:51 -0400, "

wrote:
clipped
[...]

Colby suggested the thinners...Floetrol, Penetrol? I've used both but
don't remember which is which. The Preval sprayer instr. rec. thinning
and both products work very well. When I sprayed louvered door, it was
a bit of a trick to keep from getting sags in the paint, but just part
of the learning curve. Spraying the joints between frame and louvers
with the Preval sprayer went much better than if I had used a
brush...can do more thin coats to cover and keep from getting drips.

Those were the largest items I have used Preval for..the other was our
old range hood, which I painted in place. Nice, smooth, even coverage
and no spray flying around the kitchen )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 9:45*am, KOS wrote:
I have been painting for several years.. Whenever I paint indoor doors
(as well as outdoors) I just use a brush.. However, sometimes I am
getting unsightly brush strokes... What would be the best way to paint
a door?

Stop using a brush. For the best finish trim out with a brush first
and then roller everything.