Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Painting Question: Best Way To Paint Indoor Door so brushmarksare minimal

KOS wrote:
On May 15, 10:04 pm, wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2010 21:24:51 -0400, "

wrote:
clipped
I'd revise that to 'LESS DRIFT THAN A SPRAY CAN"
Preval is an expensive way to paint though. I got a cheap touch-up gun
from Princess Auto (like Harbour Fright but in Canada) and use a small
compressor.
Little or no drift. For the projects I have done, Preval is perfect.
No place to store spray equipment in our condo, no left-over spray cans.
With Preval sprayers, I can dispense just the amount and color needed,
so there is no waste. When I last bought refills, I think two refill
cans of air cost about $3. They clean up nicely and can be reused as
long as the air isn't gone. For a set of closet doors, I think I used
total 8 cans of air...primed, two coats of paint...so the spray
equipment cost, perhaps, $16?

Last time I bougt Prevals up here they were about $4 EACH - and that
was quite a number of years ago.

im using benjamin moore paint with no vocs,aura or the other.. dont
know if you suggested to add floetrol

Colby suggested the thinners...Floetrol, Penetrol? I've used both but
don't remember which is which. The Preval sprayer instr. rec. thinning
and both products work very well. When I sprayed louvered door, it was
a bit of a trick to keep from getting sags in the paint, but just part
of the learning curve. Spraying the joints between frame and louvers
with the Preval sprayer went much better than if I had used a
brush...can do more thin coats to cover and keep from getting drips.

Those were the largest items I have used Preval for..the other was our
old range hood, which I painted in place. Nice, smooth, even coverage
and no spray flying around the kitchen )