Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Painting Question: Best Way To Paint Indoor Door so brushmarksare minimal

Colbyt wrote:
"KOS" wrote in message
I have been painting for several years.. Whenever I paint indoor doors
(as well as outdoors) I just use a brush.. However, sometimes I am
getting unsightly brush strokes... What would be the best way to paint
a door?

Paint with the grain. Use a quality brush. Thin the paint a bit. Add
Penetrol to oil base paint or use the latex product (flow something) for
latex paint. Outside don't paint in direct sunlight.

Colbyt

I've used little Preval sprayers for doors...louvered. They are an 8
oz. glass jar with air can/siphon that screws onto it. For a four
section louvered door, both sides, I probably used 8 cans of air. As
Colby suggested, use Penetrol or Floetrol (sp?) to thin the paint
slightly. I've used water to thin latex paint for use in the Preval
when I was too lazy to go to the paint store. For solid doors, I would
prefer to take them down and paint them flat. The louvered doors I sp.
painted had had a really lousy paint job previously...lots of drips on
the louvers and the doors had been upside-down when painted. I shaved
off the drips, sanded, primed..couldn't believe how nice they turned
out. I use Preval's for small paint jobs and craft stuff.

They have a small spray pattern, so they were perfect for louvered door.
Didn't have many runs with the thinned paint, but I kept a foam brush
with min. spirits handy to catch the runs before they started to dry. I
also used the Preval to paint our old range hood with Rustoleum enamel.
Slapped some newspaper on the cabinets and painted away...no drift
like a spray can.