Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Recommendations for indoor paint?

On 05/01/2019 18:37, wrote:
On Saturday, 5 January 2019 18:26:28 UTC, Another John wrote:

The woodwork inside our house needs repainting -- we've been in the
house over 30 years, and I've only spasmodically repainted the woodwork
in bits and pieces. Some of it has never been painted since before we
moved in!

All of it (ALL of it!) is gloss white. Having tried acrylic a few
years ago, and also "one-coat", I'm still most comfortable with
undercoat and top coat ( Dulux Brilliant White).

Are there new products

yes

that I ought to try?

definitely not. Water based gloss is junk compared to alkyd.

I reckon the modern water based gloss is pretty good. This is for a
house originally full of children and now slightly less full of dogs. So
maybe my standards are a bit lower.

The ranges in paint these
days are staggering.

Also, I might want to change one or two rooms to be a little more
colourful -- pastels, in what we used to call "silk" finish.

if you mean the woodwork, the result of anything but gloss is it gets dirtier faster & is hard to clean up. That's why people use gloss.

I thought I would ask here first because then I'd know where
to make a beeline, when I go a-browsing down the aisles.

Thanks for any advice!
John

Dulux & Leyland are excellent quality, and somewhat different. Some folk also like Crown.

I'd pick on colour and perhaps price first (but forget budget stuff) and
then on supplier. I agree that Dulux and Crown are good, I've also been
happy with Leyland and Johnstones. Wickes and Screwfix trade stuff is OK
for walls and ceilings too.