Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How do I wire up a 2 way rocker switch for outdoors

I bought a single outdoor switch 2 way 20AX from BnQ for a light in the
garage. I want to put a switch by the door for the light and I am not
sure how to connect the live and neutral wires.

On the back of the switch it has COM with a small single black wire
going to another of the same from a single plastic junction thingy and a
wire from 2 way going to the same single plastic junction thingy.

It also has 2 way and a way socket or square hole.
Do I connect the live into 1 way and neutral into com.

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just to clear things, are you simply replacing an indoor switch with an exterior switch? If so then simply connect the wires as before to com and the 1- way terminal. Chances are what you think is neutral is a switched live that should have been sleeved red. A photo of the existing switch and the innards of the junction box would help to give a definitive answer.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2018 15:35, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Just to clear things, are you simply replacing an indoor switch with an exterior switch? If so then simply connect the wires as before to com and the 1- way terminal. Chances are what you think is neutral is a switched live that should have been sleeved red. A photo of the existing switch and the innards of the junction box would help to give a definitive answer.

Richard

Thanks but no it is not a replacement but a new install, as we have just
had electric put in the garage.
As I'm not an electrician, I want to be sure where to put the wires in
the new switch.

I did wonder if I had bought the wrong type of switch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RobH wrote:
I bought a single outdoor switch 2 way 20AX from BnQ for a light in the
garage. I want to put a switch by the door for the light and I am not
sure how to connect the live and neutral wires.

On the back of the switch it has COM with a small single black wire
going to another of the same from a single plastic junction thingy and a
wire from 2 way going to the same single plastic junction thingy.

It also has 2 way and a way socket or square hole.
Do I connect the live into 1 way and neutral into com.

Thanks

L1 L1
0===========0 0===========0============= Line
| \ / |
C 0================================O C
\ / \ /
0===========0 0===========0============= Switch return
L2 Optional L2
Intermediate

--
*The most wasted day of all is one in which we have not laughed.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have you an existing lighting circuit in the garage? If so a description plus some photos of the wiring in any rosettes or junction boxes would be helpful. If this lighting circuit is a complete new install then I would strongly recommend that you consult the uk.d-I-y wiki first as this could become a very long description.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OK just had a look on the B&Q website and cannot find one with the code numbers you have given, but if it is the Diall 1 gang 2 way 20A external single outdoor switch with the small neon at the top you can ignore the wires inside as they are only for the neon indicator.

Is it this;

https://www.diy.com/departments/dial.../259131_BQ.prd

If not include the web page address of the correct switch in your next post

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobH wrote:

we have just had electric put in the garage.

Perhaps you could describe what you've had put in ...

Just a raw electricity supply? with or without a consumer unit?

A full installation with sockets and lights, but you're looking to add
an outdoor switch to the existing light?

Something else?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2018 15:21, RobH wrote:

I bought a single outdoor switch 2 way 20AX from BnQ for a light in the
garage. I want to put a switch by the door for the light and I am not
sure how to connect the live and neutral wires.

OK this is rather hard to answer as there are a few two many variables
here...

Firstly do you need a two way switch (two way switches are typically
wired in pairs to allow a lamp to be switched from more than one position)?

If the answer to that is "no", then don't worry - you can still use the
switch on its own to switch a lamp, you will just have a spare terminal
on the switch you won't need.

Two way switches are just changeover switches. In one position they
connect like:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...Convention.png

and in the other:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...onvention2.png

So if you just want a regular on/off switch you use the COM terminal and
either one of the others.

On the back of the switch it has COM with a small single black wire
going to another of the same from a single plastic junction thingy and a
wire from 2 way going to the same single plastic junction thingy.

It also has 2 way and a way socket or square hole.
Do I connect the live into 1 way and neutral into com.

ok take care here - if you actually have live and neutral, you really
don't want to switch them together - at best you will trip a MCB / blow
a fuse, and at worst knacker the switch.

I am not really able to make much sense of the description, so lets go
from first principles...

First, go and look at this section:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...nners#Lighting

Now each of those show ways in which a whole circuit is wired - i.e.
several lamps and switches. In simple cases there may only be one switch
and lamp, and hence there is no need for the added complexity of running
a power feed onto the next lamp position.

If you just have lamp and a switch with a mains supply, the simplest way
is to connect the neutral of the supply through to the lamp, and place
the switch in the live wire. You can use a screw terminal (aka chocolate
block) connector in the back box of the switch to join the neutrals.

--
Cheers,

John.