Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 110mm push fit soil pipe fixings - two fitting methods?

It is a while since I messed around with 110mm soil pipe fittings.

Digging a brown OSMA joint out of stock, I find it has a rubber seal
inside a collar.

First attempt to push in a length of grey pipe was not successful. I then
levered off the brown plastic ring with the rubber seal, slid this down
the grey pipe, fitted the grey pipe into the joint and it looked as though
the sealing ring would knock back down to grip the grey pipe.

I thought I had better check, and all I can find online so far is the
method of chamfering the end of the grey pipe, lubricating it with
silicone, and forcing it in.

Is my (possibly logical) way O.K. or should I reach for the lubricant?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , David
wrote:
It is a while since I messed around with 110mm soil pipe fittings.

Digging a brown OSMA joint out of stock, I find it has a rubber seal
inside a collar.

First attempt to push in a length of grey pipe was not successful. I then
levered off the brown plastic ring with the rubber seal, slid this down
the grey pipe, fitted the grey pipe into the joint and it looked as
though the sealing ring would knock back down to grip the grey pipe.

I thought I had better check, and all I can find online so far is the
method of chamfering the end of the grey pipe, lubricating it with
silicone, and forcing it in.

Is my (possibly logical) way O.K. or should I reach for the lubricant?

Use lubricant

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2018 18:01, David wrote:
It is a while since I messed around with 110mm soil pipe fittings.

Digging a brown OSMA joint out of stock, I find it has a rubber seal
inside a collar.

First attempt to push in a length of grey pipe was not successful. I then
levered off the brown plastic ring with the rubber seal, slid this down
the grey pipe, fitted the grey pipe into the joint and it looked as though
the sealing ring would knock back down to grip the grey pipe.

I thought I had better check, and all I can find online so far is the
method of chamfering the end of the grey pipe, lubricating it with
silicone, and forcing it in.

Is my (possibly logical) way O.K. or should I reach for the lubricant?

A chamfer and some lube is your friend... there should be no need to
pull apart the seal.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
[...]

Fairy liquid works he-)
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2018 18:01, David wrote:
It is a while since I messed around with 110mm soil pipe fittings.

Digging a brown OSMA joint out of stock, I find it has a rubber seal
inside a collar.

First attempt to push in a length of grey pipe was not successful. I then
levered off the brown plastic ring with the rubber seal, slid this down
the grey pipe, fitted the grey pipe into the joint and it looked as though
the sealing ring would knock back down to grip the grey pipe.

I thought I had better check, and all I can find online so far is the
method of chamfering the end of the grey pipe, lubricating it with
silicone, and forcing it in.

Is my (possibly logical) way O.K. or should I reach for the lubricant?

Cheers

Dave R

fairy liquid...I knew a bloke once who used to GTX his rubber
rings...they stated leaking quite soon after ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2018 19:35, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 06/08/2018 18:01, David wrote:
It is a while since I messed around with 110mm soil pipe fittings.
Â*Digging a brown OSMA joint out of stock, I find it has a rubber seal
inside a collar.
Â*First attempt to push in a length of grey pipe was not successful. I
then
levered off the brown plastic ring with the rubber seal, slid this down
the grey pipe, fitted the grey pipe into the joint and it looked as
though
the sealing ring would knock back down to grip the grey pipe.
Â*I thought I had better check, and all I can find online so far is the
method of chamfering the end of the grey pipe, lubricating it with
silicone, and forcing it in.
Â*Is my (possibly logical) way O.K. or should I reach for the lubricant?

A chamfer and some lube is your friend... there should be no need to
pull apart the seal.

Fairy liquid works he-)

also good as a plasticiser in mortar .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2018 18:28, John Rumm wrote:
On 06/08/2018 18:01, David wrote:
It is a while since I messed around with 110mm soil pipe fittings.

Digging a brown OSMA joint out of stock, I find it has a rubber seal
inside a collar.

First attempt to push in a length of grey pipe was not successful. I then
levered off the brown plastic ring with the rubber seal, slid this down
the grey pipe, fitted the grey pipe into the joint and it looked as
though
the sealing ring would knock back down to grip the grey pipe.

I thought I had better check, and all I can find online so far is the
method of chamfering the end of the grey pipe, lubricating it with
silicone, and forcing it in.

Is my (possibly logical) way O.K. or should I reach for the lubricant?

A chamfer and some lube is your friend... there should be no need to
pull apart the seal.

+1; although I have to admit doing it by disassembly once, where access
was a bit awkward. Needed to use a hammer on the end of a piece of
batten to fit the ring back on. And although I have used plenty of fairy
liquid in the past, my impression is that proper silicone oil (liquid or
spray) is slightly better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2018 19:47, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

if your name is Bodgit&Scarper
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2018 21:13, Andrew wrote:
[...]

no absolutely OK trust me on that ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

but you are the kind of person that uses this rather than soap and water
to find leaks ...

https://www.rocol.com/products/leak-...atural-gas-lpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://tarmac-bluecircle.co.uk/all-washed-up/

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
[...]

Agreed.

The plumbers don't like you using washing up liquid for leak detection
either.

Not likely to affect rubber/plastics in soil pipes.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 21:13:32 +0100, newshound wrote:

[...]

One advantage of WU liquid is that it dries out. Silicone oil/grease stays
slippery permanently - this is OK if you might want to disassemble it, but
does need axial limits otherwise the union might slide apart (unlikely in
most circumstances).
One example is foam padding on handlebars. Now it's not A Good Thing for the
foam+tape to slide off and some people have had that happen. Using a
water-based lube avoids this, if given time to dry out.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2018 02:52, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

Perhaps you should tell the manufacturers that their best practice
advice for their product conflicts with your own belief. I am sure they
will welcome your input.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

I could do that .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC Wrote in message:
[...]

KY ?
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 16:25:51 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jim K wrote:

KY?

or KP if vegetarian.

--
Peter.