Posted to uk.d-i-y
oh oh is offline

Default 110mm soil pipe, how to connect 32/40mm drains?

Hi all,

I know you can get a "strap on boss" to connect your 32mm or 40mm
wastepipes to your 110mm soilpipe, however what do you do if there is no
space for one? At the floor level I have the tee for the toilet, a bit
higher up the boss for the bathtub, a bit higher up the boss for the
handwash basin, and a bit higher up there's an inspection part.

I want to put a separate shower cubicle in the corner, however there
simply is no space for the connection to the soil pipe, that would be
low enough.

Now, looking at the 110mm tee for the toilet there are four (two on each
side) "pipes" sticking out, but not bored through, offset at 90 degrees
from the toilet waste. These are 45mm. And looking at the inspection
part higher up there are three, offset 90 degrees from each other, these
are 55mm.

What's the purpose of these, to actually be cut through and used to
connect drainpipes? The sizes kinda indicate that they're intended for
potentially connecting 40mm and 50mm wastepipes but I could be dead wrong.

Thanks in advance!!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
oh oh is offline

at the 110mm tee for the toilet there are four (two on each
side) "pipes" sticking out, but not bored through, offset at 90 degrees
from the toilet waste. These are 45mm. And looking at the inspection
part higher up there are three, offset 90 degrees from each other, these
are 55mm.

As an example to better explain my poor verbal explanation please see:
http://www.roplas.co.uk/pdfs/Soil%20...components.pdf

Look at the "SP254 ACCESS PIPE" and the "SP581 BOSS PIPE" - the
"apparently unconnected pipe connectors" are what I am talking about.
Are these usable to connect drains, or would one break weird building
regs by doing so?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2008 20:34, oh wrote:

Now, looking at the 110mm tee for the toilet there are four (two on each
side) "pipes" sticking out, but not bored through, offset at 90 degrees
from the toilet waste. These are 45mm. And looking at the inspection
part higher up there are three, offset 90 degrees from each other, these
are 55mm.

You can drill them out and fit a boss adapter to reduce them to 40 or
32mm, be aware there are rules about using multiple connections and
minimum vertical separations between them, see this [1] and the
regulations and standards referred to in it.

[1]
http://www.brettmartin.com/building/...gevolumes.aspx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

On 06/03/2008 20:34, oh wrote:

Now, looking at the 110mm tee for the toilet there are four (two on
each side) "pipes" sticking out, but not bored through, offset at 90
degrees from the toilet waste. These are 45mm. And looking at the
inspection part higher up there are three, offset 90 degrees from
each other, these are 55mm.

You can drill them out and fit a boss adapter to reduce them to 40 or
32mm, be aware there are rules about using multiple connections and
minimum vertical separations between them, see this [1] and the
regulations and standards referred to in it.

[1]
http://www.brettmartin.com/building/...gevolumes.aspx

Alternatively, couldn't you join the shower and bath waste pipes together
before they reach the stack?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
oh oh is offline

Roger Mills wrote:
Alternatively, couldn't you join the shower and bath waste pipes together
before they reach the stack?

I can join the shower and bath waste pipes together before the soil pipe
however wouldn't there be a risk that water would come back up the
shower trap if I fill the bath and lift the plug, or that the suction of
the bath water drains it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

oh wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:
Alternatively, couldn't you join the shower and bath waste pipes
together before they reach the stack?

I can join the shower and bath waste pipes together before the soil
pipe however wouldn't there be a risk that water would come back up
the shower trap if I fill the bath and lift the plug, or that the
suction of the bath water drains it?

I suppose there's a slight risk that a gush from the bath could 'pull' the
shower trap. The other way round, if a bit of bath water temporarily enters
the shower tray it won't do much harm - but it's not particularly likely
anyway. I have shower and basin (admittedly not bath) wastes combined with
no problem whatsoever.
--
Cheers,
Roger