Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to seal air addmittance valve to 110mm pipe?

Hi, bought an air admittance valve from Toolstation (item 77893 from
toolstation.com) to avoid piercing the roof with my soil stack. It
slides over the 110mm pipe quite snuggly but there is no rubber seal
etc. Is this meant to be solvent welded or sealed with silicone? All
the rest of the 110 mm soil from toolstation is push-fit and I was
asssuming this would also be push-fit.
Thank you

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 May, 10:40, nafuk wrote:
Hi, bought an air admittance valve from Toolstation (item 77893 from
toolstation.com) to avoid piercing the roof with my soil stack. It
slides over the 110mm pipe quite snuggly but there is no rubber seal
etc. Is this meant to be solvent welded or sealed with silicone? All
the rest of the 110 mm soil from toolstation is push-fit and I was
asssuming this would also be push-fit.
Thank you

The ones I've seen have had a sort of corrugated rubber seal to the
soil pipe. Could it be that it has a bit missing?

Personally I wouldn't want to use solvent as it will be impossible to
ever remove. And from what others say on this group, that does
occasionally happen. Silicone would work OK I would think though.

Jon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 May 2007 02:40:12 -0700, nafuk
wrote:

Hi, bought an air admittance valve from Toolstation (item 77893 from
toolstation.com) to avoid piercing the roof with my soil stack. It
slides over the 110mm pipe quite snuggly but there is no rubber seal
etc. Is this meant to be solvent welded or sealed with silicone? All
the rest of the 110 mm soil from toolstation is push-fit and I was
asssuming this would also be push-fit.
Thank you

I thought soil pipes had to vent to the outside?

Presumably this will vent into the roof space?

If this is correct, I can save myself a lot of money.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi, bought an air admittance valve from Toolstation (item 77893 from
toolstation.com) to avoid piercing the roof with my soil stack. It
slides over the 110mm pipe quite snuggly but there is no rubber seal
etc. Is this meant to be solvent welded or sealed with silicone? All
the rest of the 110 mm soil from toolstation is push-fit and I was
asssuming this would also be push-fit.
Thank you

I thought soil pipes had to vent to the outside?

Presumably this will vent into the roof space?

If this is correct, I can save myself a lot of money.

Mostly they do have to vent to the outside, but in some circs you can
use an AAV instead.

However, having had a situation where some kind person put about 10Lb
of rotting meat in our local drain, the smell of which came up through
the anti syphon traps in our kitchen (as it was unable to get up the
soil stack due to this having an AAV on top of it) I wouldn't
recommend it.

We have now had the stack vented properly above the eaves.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I thought soil pipes had to vent to the outside?

Presumably this will vent into the roof space?

If this is correct, I can save myself a lot of money.

Not so simple.

Air admittance valves are permitted in many but not all designs of
soil stack.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...F_ADH_2002.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi, bought an air admittance valve from Toolstation (item 77893 from
toolstation.com) to avoid piercing the roof with my soil stack. It
slides over the 110mm pipe quite snuggly but there is no rubber seal
etc. Is this meant to be solvent welded or sealed with silicone? All
the rest of the 110 mm soil from toolstation is push-fit and I was
asssuming this would also be push-fit.
Thank you

I thought soil pipes had to vent to the outside?

Presumably this will vent into the roof space?

If this is correct, I can save myself a lot of money.

It depends how you define 'vent'. It is a one-way valve which lets air in to
stop a depression from forming in the stack but stops air - and hopefully
smells! - from coming out.

AAVs are useful in some circumstances (I have one in my extension) but there
are regs about having to have a 'properly' vented stack fairly close.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 May, 11:08, Tournifreak wrote:
On 11 May, 10:40, nafuk wrote:

Hi, bought an air admittance valve from Toolstation (item 77893 from
toolstation.com) to avoid piercing the roof with my soil stack. It
slides over the 110mm pipe quite snuggly but there is no rubber seal
etc. Is this meant to be solvent welded or sealed with silicone? All
the rest of the 110 mm soil from toolstation is push-fit and I was
asssuming this would also be push-fit.
Thank you

The ones I've seen have had a sort of corrugated rubber seal to the
soil pipe. Could it be that it has a bit missing?

Personally I wouldn't want to use solvent as it will be impossible to
ever remove. And from what others say on this group, that does
occasionally happen. Silicone would work OK I would think though.

Jon.

Hi, thank you for the reply. The AAV fits snugly over the 100mm pipe
so no, there is no rubber seal missing

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi, bought an air admittance valve from Toolstation (item 77893 from
toolstation.com) to avoid piercing the roof with my soil stack. It
slides over the 110mm pipe quite snuggly but there is no rubber seal
etc. Is this meant to be solvent welded or sealed with silicone? All
the rest of the 110 mm soil from toolstation is push-fit and I was
asssuming this would also be push-fit.
Thank you

I thought soil pipes had to vent to the outside?

Presumably this will vent into the roof space?

If this is correct, I can save myself a lot of money.

Yes, but. The stack furthest upstream must still vent to open air.

Other stacks can use the AAV provided it's 1m above the WC connection and
inside (so it doesn't freeze stuck).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi, bought an air admittance valve from Toolstation (item 77893 from
toolstation.com) to avoid piercing the roof with my soil stack. It
slides over the 110mm pipe quite snuggly but there is no rubber seal
etc. Is this meant to be solvent welded or sealed with silicone? All
the rest of the 110 mm soil from toolstation is push-fit and I was
asssuming this would also be push-fit.
Thank you

I thought soil pipes had to vent to the outside?

Presumably this will vent into the roof space?

If this is correct, I can save myself a lot of money.

Yes, but. The stack furthest upstream must still vent to open air.

Not quite true. There has to be at least one vent every so often to
prevent positive pressure, but it needn't be the most upstream one.