Posted to uk.d-i-y
JFD JFD is offline

Default Drains: Maximum length of underground 110mm soil pipe?

Hi,
Can anyone tell me if there is a permissible limit to the length of an underground 110mm soil pipe (before it meets the main, public, large-bore pipe running under the road/street?)

Thank you..

JFD
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JFD wrote:
Hi,
Can anyone tell me if there is a permissible limit to the length of an
underground 110mm soil pipe (before it meets the main, public, large-bore
pipe running under the road/street?)

Thank you..

JFD

I suppose it depends on whether there is a "standard depth" for street
sewers. The attainable slope on your soil pipe will determine its maximum
length (I guess). Not an expert though...

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2017 17:17, JFD wrote:
Hi,
Can anyone tell me if there is a permissible limit to the length of an underground 110mm soil pipe (before it meets the main, public, large-bore pipe running under the road/street?)

Thank you..

JFD

If only your property is using this pipe then provided you have access
points at every bend and the fall is correct over the entire length,
then the only limit is how deep the public sewers are.

The estate where I live uses 110 mm to interconnect blocks of terraced
house but despite the gentle slope, the run they take before
joining the 150 mm stuff is like a dogs back leg.

To much fall is as bad as not enough.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2017 17:17, JFD wrote:
Hi, Can anyone tell me if there is a permissible limit to the length
of an underground 110mm soil pipe (before it meets the main, public,
large-bore pipe running under the road/street?)

Approved document H is the one you need. Available he

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/inf...waste_disposal

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JFD JFD is offline

On Monday, June 19, 2017 at 9:17:33 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 19/06/2017 17:17, JFD wrote:
Hi, Can anyone tell me if there is a permissible limit to the length
of an underground 110mm soil pipe (before it meets the main, public,
large-bore pipe running under the road/street?)

Approved document H is the one you need. Available he

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/inf...waste_disposal

--
Cheers,

John.

Thanks for the replies. I can't find anything in the Building Regs Part H regarding maximum length. This surprises me, because when you flush a loo, that gallon or so of flush water has got to carry the human waste along, and the longer the run, the more of that water will be used up moistening the inside of the soil pipe. So if, say, you had a run of 1/4 of a mile, I would imagine that nothing would reach the other end, even with the correct gradient. In my case, the entire length would be about 35 mtrs, and with the correct gradient.

JFD

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JFD wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I can't find anything in the Building Regs
Part H regarding maximum length. This surprises me, because when you
flush a loo, that gallon or so of flush water has got to carry the
human waste along, and the longer the run, the more of that water
will be used up moistening the inside of the soil pipe. So if, say,
you had a run of 1/4 of a mile, I would imagine that nothing would
reach the other end, even with the correct gradient. In my case, the
entire length would be about 35 mtrs, and with the correct gradient.

Flawed thinking.
The inside of the pipe never dries out, it's underground so always out of
the sun, dripping taps, handwashing and every other drop of water that goes
down the plugholes of your house keep it permanently wet.
Turds may lounge around a while during a long run, but they won't dry out
and cause a blockage because of the reasons mentioned above. Next time
someone flushes a slash or has a shower it'll continue on it's journey to
the sewer.

35 metres is nothing, I've put them in twice this length and watched turds
sail past the bottom of the main manhole into the sewer beyond...there's
usually not much left of them by the time they've fallen 5 metres down a
vertical soilpipe and into the drain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2017 17:17, JFD wrote:
Hi, Can anyone tell me if there is a permissible limit to the
length of an underground 110mm soil pipe (before it meets the
main, public, large-bore pipe running under the road/street?)

Approved document H is the one you need. Available he

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/inf...waste_disposal

Thanks for the replies. I can't find anything in the Building Regs
Part H regarding maximum length. This surprises me, because when you
flush a loo, that gallon or so of flush water has got to carry the
human waste along, and the longer the run, the more of that water
will be used up moistening the inside of the soil pipe. So if, say,
you had a run of 1/4 of a mile, I would imagine that nothing would
reach the other end, even with the correct gradient. In my case, the
entire length would be about 35 mtrs, and with the correct gradient.

The limitation is that of depth. You have a minimum and maximum rate of
fall, that in turn implies your length is constrained by the height
available for that fall.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2017 17:17, JFD wrote:
[...]

You need to consult the plowperson on this issue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2017 17:17, JFD wrote:
[...]

Sadly this group is getting progressively less fun to be about. The
level of OT stuff and politics certainly does not help, but the never
ending stream of snarky comments and insults in particular (from you and
others) is not adding anything of value, and gets on my tits.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 20/06/2017 01:17, bm wrote:
The limitation is that of depth. You have a minimum and maximum rate of
fall, that in turn implies your length is constrained by the height
available for that fall.

You need to consult the plowperson on this issue.

Sadly this group is getting progressively less fun to be about. The
level of OT stuff and politics certainly does not help, but the never
ending stream of snarky comments and insults in particular (from you
and others) is not adding anything of value, and gets on my tits.

+ lots!

Amusing jokes are one thing but silly interjections in an otherwise
useful discussion is infantile.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2017 09:26, John Rumm wrote:

Sadly this group is getting progressively less fun to be about. The
level of OT stuff and politics certainly does not help, but the never
ending stream of snarky comments and insults in particular (from you and
others) is not adding anything of value, and gets on my tits.

uk.d-i-y.moderated?

with - shock horror - its own website for the 99.963 per cent of the
population who don't know about usenet?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 09:26:26 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 19/06/2017 17:17, JFD wrote:
Hi, Can anyone tell me if there is a permissible limit to the
length of an underground 110mm soil pipe (before it meets the main,
public, large-bore pipe running under the road/street?)

Approved document H is the one you need. Available he

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/inf..._documents/71/

part_h_-_drainage_and_waste_disposal

[...]

+1

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JFD JFD is offline

On Monday, June 19, 2017 at 10:43:32 PM UTC+1, Phil L wrote:
JFD wrote:
[...]

That's reassuring. Thank you!
JFD

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/17 09:57, Robin wrote:
On 20/06/2017 09:26, John Rumm wrote:

Sadly this group is getting progressively less fun to be about. The
level of OT stuff and politics certainly does not help, but the never
ending stream of snarky comments and insults in particular (from you
and others) is not adding anything of value, and gets on my tits.

uk.d-i-y.moderated?

with - shock horror - its own website for the 99.963 per cent of the
population who don't know about usenet?

+1 from me...

And perhaps some countermeasures against it being ripped off - which
might mean running an nntp server outside of USENET (but would still
allow people to connect and better, have to authenticate to post)