Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Inserting a new section into an underground 110mm soil pipe.

I need to insert a new section into an existing underground soil pipe. OK,
so I'll cut a pice out of the old section and cut a new length of pipe the
same length, to replace it. Then I have two double-socket couplers to make
the joints. The question is, how to install the couplers. Do I slide each
one onto the new section and then slide them over the joins - or should I
unclip the rings conataining the neoprene seals, then slide the rest of the
coupler in place, and then slide the rings, complete with seals into place
and tap them home, on the coupler? The latter option should be a lot
easier, and I dare say that's how one is supposed to do it. Am I correct?

The couplers I am ising are a few years old and have been used before. I
have cleand them up. One of the couplers is orange-brown in colour. The
other is grey. The seal housing rings on the orange-brown one pried off
dead easily. However the ones on the grey coupler are not coming aff
easily. Different design, obviously. I'm wondering if they are even
removable at all. I don't want to break anything trying to force them off.
Any advice?

What sort of lubricant can I use when putting everything together? Is
washing up liquid sutable? I also have some silicone grease in an aerosol
can.

Many thanks,

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/09/2011 09:00, AL_n wrote:
I need to insert a new section into an existing underground soil pipe. OK,
so I'll cut a pice out of the old section and cut a new length of pipe the
same length, to replace it. Then I have two double-socket couplers to make
the joints. The question is, how to install the couplers. Do I slide each
one onto the new section and then slide them over the joins - or should I
unclip the rings conataining the neoprene seals, then slide the rest of the
coupler in place, and then slide the rings, complete with seals into place
and tap them home, on the coupler? The latter option should be a lot
easier, and I dare say that's how one is supposed to do it. Am I correct?

IME, double socket couplers usually have a stop half way through, which
means you cannot slide them fully over a pipe. As a result, you have to
be able to move one of the existing sections of pipe to get the new bit
in. If that is not possible, you need 4 x flanged connectors. Fit those
to all the pipe ends and you can slide the new bit in sideways, before
clamping them together.

Alternatively, blowing my own trumpet, I can supply neoprene sleeves
that can slide over the pipe and are secured with Jubilee clips.
However, they are only rated to 0.5 bar. Stainless steel also does not
do well in wet areas without access to air. So, I would not recommend it
in heavy clay, but it should work in a free-draining sandy soil.

The kit is part number FS400-108 on this page:

http//www.norscreenfilters.co.uk/inline_plastic_over_2_inch.html

Click on the image for a larger picture.

The couplers I am ising are a few years old and have been used before. I
have cleand them up. One of the couplers is orange-brown in colour. The
other is grey. The seal housing rings on the orange-brown one pried off
dead easily. However the ones on the grey coupler are not coming aff
easily. Different design, obviously. I'm wondering if they are even
removable at all. I don't want to break anything trying to force them off.
Any advice?

What sort of lubricant can I use when putting everything together? Is
washing up liquid sutable? I also have some silicone grease in an aerosol
can.

I always use washing up liquid.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"AL_n" writes:
What sort of lubricant can I use when putting everything together? Is
washing up liquid sutable? I also have some silicone grease in an aerosol
can.

Silicone grease is good when you want a permanently moveable joint
such as an expansion joint in guttering.

Soapy water is good when you want a temporarily movable joint for
assembly purposes only, after which the soap will wash away and the
joint will lock more solidly.

Rubber seals in soil pipework normally come under the second catagory.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote in
:

IME, double socket couplers usually have a stop half way through, which
means you cannot slide them fully over a pipe.

Thanks for the suggestions, but mine don't have the stop.

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 28/09/2011 09:00, AL_n wrote:
I need to insert a new section into an existing underground soil pipe.
OK,
so I'll cut a pice out of the old section and cut a new length of pipe
the
same length, to replace it. Then I have two double-socket couplers to
make

I have done this. I needed to add a "T" piece for a new surface water drain.
I used two standard straight couplers and ground off the stop in the centre
so that I could slide them right up the existing pipe then back onto the new
section. I used a permanent marker to mark the spot on both old and new
pipes where the connecter should end up. It was not an easy job as even with
plenty of soapy water as lubrication the couplers were very difficult to
slide back. I managed by using a block of wood and lump hammer.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 28, 1:46*pm, "MuddyMike" wrote:
"Nightjar" wrote in message

On 28/09/2011 09:00, AL_n wrote:
I need to insert a new section into an existing underground soil pipe.
OK,
so I'll cut a pice out of the old section and cut a new length of pipe
the
same length, to replace it. Then I have two double-socket couplers to
make

I have done this. I needed to add a "T" piece for a new surface water drain.
I used two standard straight couplers and ground off the stop in the centre
so that I could slide them right up the existing pipe then back onto the new
section. I used a permanent marker to mark the spot on both old and new
pipes where the connecter should end up. It was not an easy job as even with
plenty of soapy water as lubrication the couplers were very difficult to
slide back. I managed by using a block of wood and lump hammer.

i did this (above ground) using couplers that were made for the
purpose with no ridge in the middle. i found it very hard to slide
them until I bought some silicone grease. After that they slid just
by hand (no hamemring).

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/09/2011 09:00, AL_n wrote:
I need to insert a new section into an existing underground soil pipe. OK,
so I'll cut a pice out of the old section and cut a new length of pipe the
same length, to replace it. Then I have two double-socket couplers to make
the joints. The question is, how to install the couplers. Do I slide each
one onto the new section and then slide them over the joins - or should I
unclip the rings conataining the neoprene seals, then slide the rest of the
coupler in place, and then slide the rings, complete with seals into place
and tap them home, on the coupler? The latter option should be a lot
easier, and I dare say that's how one is supposed to do it. Am I correct?

The "proper" way is with a pair of slip couplings - these are designed
to slide right up the pipe. So you can get the new bit in, and then
slide the couplings into place. For longer sections, you can probably
use one normal coupling and one slip.

The couplers I am ising are a few years old and have been used before. I
have cleand them up. One of the couplers is orange-brown in colour. The
other is grey. The seal housing rings on the orange-brown one pried off
dead easily. However the ones on the grey coupler are not coming aff
easily. Different design, obviously. I'm wondering if they are even
removable at all. I don't want to break anything trying to force them off.
Any advice?

The slip jobbies are often rubber with jubilee clips on each end...

What sort of lubricant can I use when putting everything together? Is
washing up liquid sutable? I also have some silicone grease in an aerosol
can.

Silicone is probably safest near to rubber (assuming its real rubber -
which it probably is not).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message

On 28/09/2011 09:00, AL_n wrote:
[...]

'sexual' lubricant is good, because it is ultimately water soluble..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote in
:

'sexual' lubricant is good, because it is ultimately water soluble..

What!!!! You spit on it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AL_n" wrote in
:

[...]

Use plenty of lubricant but don't dismantle the seals as it can be a pig of
a job to clip these in when pipe inserted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AL_n" wrote in message
[...]

You use "slip couplings". These are like the normal ones onlythere is no
little stop nib inside the coupling.
You slide it right on to one pipe &then slide it back onto then new section.
Mark with pencil so you knpw when it's centred up. You can convert a normal
coupling to slip coupling by removing the nib inside.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MuddyMike" wrote in
om:

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 28/09/2011 09:00, AL_n wrote:
I need to insert a new section into an existing underground soil
pipe. OK,
so I'll cut a pice out of the old section and cut a new length of
pipe the
same length, to replace it. Then I have two double-socket couplers
to make

I have done this. I needed to add a "T" piece for a new surface water
drain. I used two standard straight couplers and ground off the stop
in the centre so that I could slide them right up the existing pipe
then back onto the new section. I used a permanent marker to mark the
spot on both old and new pipes where the connecter should end up. It
was not an easy job as even with plenty of soapy water as lubrication
the couplers were very difficult to slide back. I managed by using a
block of wood and lump hammer.

Mike

Done the job now. It was easy. What made it easy was I unclipped the seal
housings. Then the main body of the coupler can be slid easily into
position, after which the seals can be slid into place and clipped back on
with the aid of a small hammer or suchlike...

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message

On 28/09/2011 09:00, AL_n wrote:
[...]

And can you buy a jar of fanny batter at the wholesalers?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

And can you buy a jar of fanny batter at the wholesalers?

There was a VIZ strip where the protageonist bought a moped that ran on
female leopards' fanny batter.

It was a trade in for the car that ran on monkey jism.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message

On 28/09/2011 09:00, AL_n wrote:
[...]

I think you can...I am sure the pukka lubricant for pipes is almost
exactly the same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-Y_Jelly

shows what its made of.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

And can you buy a jar of fanny batter at the wholesalers?

There was a VIZ strip where the protageonist bought a moped that ran on
female leopards' fanny batter.

It was a trade in for the car that ran on monkey jism.

Sounds like a natural for Clarkson..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/09/2011 14:43, John Rumm wrote:
Silicone is probably safest near to rubber (assuming its real rubber -
which it probably is not).

It is likely to be EPDM.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 00:24:08 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

And can you buy a jar of fanny batter at the wholesalers?

There was a VIZ strip where the protageonist bought a moped that ran on
female leopards' fanny batter.

It was a trade in for the car that ran on monkey jism.

Sounds like a natural for Clarkson..

Yup - he produces the fuel all by himself on every programme he's on!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 00:23:39 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

'sexual' lubricant is good, because it is ultimately water soluble..

And can you buy a jar of fanny batter at the wholesalers?

I think you can...I am sure the pukka lubricant for pipes is almost
exactly the same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-Y_Jelly

shows what its made of.

Or there's K-P Jelly - different ingredients.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[Default] On 28 Sep 2011 08:00:01 GMT, a certain chimpanzee, "AL_n"
, randomly hit the keyboard and wrote:

I need to insert a new section into an existing underground soil pipe.

Bandseals
(http://www.naylor.co.uk/CMS/xinha/pl...Couplings.pdf).
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?